Facegen now on sale...get it!

Comments

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,798
    edited February 2017

Ok, I could not get demo to work. Whatever the last spot was on the face, it would not register and when I hit create, it sent me back to last photo. I tried at first with both side photos and the last under chin dot would not register and just went to the next screen. Then when I removed the side photos, the last dot on the front photo would not register so I still could not create. Is anyone else having this problem???

It sounds like you have a problem with your mouse driver's clicks being intercepted and misinterpretted and repeated so what is happing 2 or more clicks are being place at nearly the same or the same pixel in rapid succession and when the program looks at your placements it sees that the placements makes no sense for the algorithm to create a 3D model of a human face from a picture. If you slowly and patiently click such that you are single clicking each time so that only one placement cross is placed on a pixel (which may have to click back button yourself a few times and try reselecting the pixel point to place your crosses at) you'll eventually get there.

Personally, my computer has the same problem so I am clean installing Windows 10 in April when the new version comes out. It's not a bug in Windows 10 though but I think malware picked up from something I installed. I'd reinstall now if the new version of Windows 10 wasn't less than 2 months away.

Ok, finally figured it out. But if I click export, there is no Genesis 3 male, just G1 and G2...

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,130

Another wishing for a Mac version.

Rather have my ass kicked than switch back to a PC.

I agree. I'm wondering, will this product work with Wine or with one of the other apps that let a Mac User run Windows programs on a Macintosh?

My best actual success:

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/FG-Jimmy-Jean-Louis-651385362

And what's cool is that once I had that morph/face, I could mix it with other stuff, like: http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Starman-Relaxing-Closeup-651601164

And here are two where I just dialed in an ethnic face and ran with it:

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/FG-Yuta-is-waiting-651444867

That is amazing.

On the product page, it states: "The ultimate in control, FaceGen even lets you modify the face with a pinch and pull style experience so you can mold and fine-tune features to meet your needs." I'm not sure what it means by a pinch and pull experience, but has anyone used this feature? If so, how does it work?

• edited February 2017

- cant delete, but solved my problem

Post edited by brucemonson_d719a072d5 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited February 2017

Is anyone else having an issue figuring out how to export as G3? No matter what folder I pick, I get "Genesis 3 Female mesh not found". 

You may want to say these path names in a notpad text file as they are not remembered as default path names once navigated to in FaceGen. Then you can quickly copy past when needed again.

Genesis 3

G3F

Select here:

<System Drive><DAZ Studio Library Path>\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female

not here:

<System Drive><DAZ Studio Library Path>\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female\Morphs\FaceGen

G3M

Select here:

<System Drive><DAZ Studio Library Path>\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Male

not here:

<System Drive><DAZ Studio Library Path>\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Male\Morphs\FaceGen

+++++

Genesis 2

G2F

Select here:

<System Drive><DAZ Studio Library Path>\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female

not here:

<System Drive><DAZ Studio Library Path>\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\Morphs\FaceGen

G2M

Select here:

<System Drive><DAZ Studio Library Path>\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Male

not here:

<System Drive><DAZ Studio Library Path>\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Male\Morphs\FaceGen

+++++

Genesis

Select here:

<System Drive><DAZ Studio Library Path>\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base

not here:

<System Drive><DAZ Studio Library Path>\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\FaceGen

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    inquire said:

On the product page, it states: "The ultimate in control, FaceGen even lets you modify the face with a pinch and pull style experience so you can mold and fine-tune features to meet your needs." I'm not sure what it means by a pinch and pull experience, but has anyone used this feature? If so, how does it work?

Haven't tried that yet maybe you need a Wacom tablet or Surface or something like that?

Ok, I could not get demo to work. Whatever the last spot was on the face, it would not register and when I hit create, it sent me back to last photo. I tried at first with both side photos and the last under chin dot would not register and just went to the next screen. Then when I removed the side photos, the last dot on the front photo would not register so I still could not create. Is anyone else having this problem???

It sounds like you have a problem with your mouse driver's clicks being intercepted and misinterpretted and repeated so what is happing 2 or more clicks are being place at nearly the same or the same pixel in rapid succession and when the program looks at your placements it sees that the placements makes no sense for the algorithm to create a 3D model of a human face from a picture. If you slowly and patiently click such that you are single clicking each time so that only one placement cross is placed on a pixel (which may have to click back button yourself a few times and try reselecting the pixel point to place your crosses at) you'll eventually get there.

Personally, my computer has the same problem so I am clean installing Windows 10 in April when the new version comes out. It's not a bug in Windows 10 though but I think malware picked up from something I installed. I'd reinstall now if the new version of Windows 10 wasn't less than 2 months away.

Ok, finally figured it out. But if I click export, there is no Genesis 3 male, just G1 and G2...

Sound like you were given the wrong license key. If you have the correct license for FaceGen Artist Pro and not just FaceGen Home, you will have tabs for <Genesis 3F> and <Genesis 3M>

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344
    edited February 2017

It is really easy to use. My first try took around 15 minutes in Facegen. The only problem is to find proper reference images,

but even black and white works pretty well, if you do not need created textures. Below is my first try:

Below is how Genesis 3 Male look a like without the morph created in FaceGen.

Default Genesis 3 Male materials treated with Anagenesis II only.

fg01sc03pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 171K
    fg01sc03pic02.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 171K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

It is really easy to use. My first try took around 15 minutes in Facegen. The only problem is to find proper reference images,

but even black and white works pretty well, if you do not need created textures. Below is my first try:

Below is how Genesis 3 Male look a like without the morph created in FaceGen.

Default Genesis 3 Male materials treated with Anagenesis II only.

It sounds like you are saying that you used G3M to create a render which you then used to create a G3M morph using FaceGen? Is that right?

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    edited February 2017
    inquire said:

The program has 2 ways to morph the face inside FG. There is the dial option, which is self explanatory, and there is an option to click directly on the face and move that point around. This feature has an additional option to mirror it or not, so you can make nice asymmetrical features. This is as simple as choosing left or right mouse clicks when clicking on the face. It's very easy to use.

One thing I wish FG had was its own skin bases to start with. Each face is going to be matched to the default skin for whichever Genesis figure you choose. The colors are brilliantly matched, but I hate having the same body textures on everyone. Especially with how bad the 5 o'clock shadow is on the default males. Sure, I can edit these, but it would be nice to have more variety to start with.

There are two problem areas for FG. Eyes and noses. It seems every nose is at least a little off, and needs adjusting with in the app. Eye textures can be horrifying if the eyes are not wide open. FG really needs a way of choosing an eye color and rolling out an eye that matches that. As it is, the best course is to just ditch the eye textures FG gives you and use any other character's eyes in your runtime (surely you have something close to what you want.)

If you felt burned by the other face creation software on Daz, FaceGen absolutely murders it. Textures up to 4096 pixels. Lots of morph options after a face is generated. A full set of matching skin textures so you wont get terrible seams. The face texture itself is much larger than what the other face maker creates. It doesn't crash. And it doesn't need to be located in a specific location to function. It is, ahem, head and shoulders above the other app.

The demo does not have G3 support, at least it didn't when I tried it. And yes, the only difference between the regular and pro versions is G3 support. I find that pretty ludicrous myself. But the program is one of the better face generating softwares you'll find, and it supports Daz. Now that it is on Daz's store, there is the possibility of it being on sale. I cannot recall it ever being on sale at its site.

And sorry, the author does not have any plans to support Macs. Its just too much trouble for very little return.

Post edited by outrider42 on
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    edited February 2017

Here's what I have so far. I cleaned up the face skin. Removed the eyelashes, blended out the nose, smoothed parts of the lips, color adjustments. I threw out the eyes and used another models and they still look a bit wonky. Can't use point at "camera" because they look cross eyed, and look that way in default load. I still think they look a little strange, but way better then when I started. 

Maddie1.jpg
    769 x 1000 - 572K
    Post edited by deathbycanon on
  • TooncesToonces Posts: 919

That looks really good. I'm curious to see what facegen created before all of your tweaks.

edited February 2017

I have just picked up some photo from the net and created Genesis 3 Male face morph from it in Facegen,

but used default Daz Studio materials, that come with Genesis 3 Male to make the renders.

Post edited by Artini on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,304
    edited February 2017

I made a Cumberbatch with the free demo. 

Not perfect by a long shot, but still a resemblance. The paid version is probably more accurate. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
    Artini said:

I have just picked up some photo from the net and created Genesis 3 Male face morph from it in Facegen,

but used default Daz Studio materials, that come with Genesis 3 Male to make the renders.

OK, because I could not place in my memory a G3M character that looks like your facegen morph, which is very good even if I don't know enough about famous people to know who it is is a a convincing model of a random face.

• Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,109

So do you install FaceGen Pro manually or do you use DIM?

• Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,109

Never mind. I saw one place where it said you had to download manually. But when you click on the link, it gives you links for manual and DIM. I did the manual install.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Not perfect by a long shot, but still a resemblance. The paid version is probably more accurate. 

Sherlock Smurf! (Sorry, I had to...you should totally put a Smurf hat on him, that would be epic!) But that's seriously not bad at all once you get the color corrected I bet it'll look very nice. If that lower pic is your source I have no idea how it turned out that way. Did you use NGS on that? Sometimes it makes certain skins blue, like very fair skins.

There is no difference between the quality of the output from the demo and the paid version. The demo has all the features as well, so getting familiar with the demo will set you up for the paid one. The only thing the demo does is add the forehead logo!

KevinH said:

I bought FG before it came here, but it has its own exe. So it probably is better suited for manual install.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited February 2017

Well, I finally caved. I'm a bit annoyed that I took until 4.15 am to do it - what did it was realising that not only would buying it together with the Streets of Asia lights be cheaper than buying the product on it's own, it would bring the Pro version down to only $8 more than the home version.

Anyway, this is Clive on G3M. There's plenty of room for improvement, but he's a 'straight out of the box' kind of guy and I'm getting desperate for my bed. There are no photos involved, just the textures supplied with the program, including the Facegen eyes. I didn't even bother tweaking the morph before I exported. Considering he only took 15 minutes from 'start to create' to 'start to render', I don't think he's that bad. I will make him some better looking mates tomorrow. Or today, technically.

Clive.png
    480 x 640 - 357K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

One more thing - I saved two of the characters I created with the demo version as .fg files just to see if the full version would open the .fg files without referencing the watermarked images if I ever got round to deciding to buy it. I've just looked and found that it does, which means that anything you create and save using the demo can be opened without the watermark by the full version if you later decide to buy it. I'd have saved more of my earlier creations if I'd known this.

I expect the program makers have done well out of today, but I think they'd do a sight better if they bothered to supply half the information we've gathered together between us all on this thread. I certainly wouldn't have bought it on the strength of two promo images, especially without even knowing that they had a demo available so that we could see for ourselves what the sales page was lacking. I'm going to bed now. Definitely. Probably.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,304

Sherlock Smurf! (Sorry, I had to...you should totally put a Smurf hat on him, that would be epic!) But that's seriously not bad at all once you get the color corrected I bet it'll look very nice. If that lower pic is your source I have no idea how it turned out that way. Did you use NGS on that? Sometimes it makes certain skins blue, like very fair skins.

There is no difference between the quality of the output from the demo and the paid version. The demo has all the features as well, so getting familiar with the demo will set you up for the paid one. The only thing the demo does is add the forehead logo!

KevinH said:

I bought FG before it came here, but it has its own exe. So it probably is better suited for manual install.

KevinH said:

I used a different photo for the source photo. I finally figure out what I did wrong though - I used the wrong settings and told it to use the profile shots to help build the texture ..and the profile shots where in black and white. lol That's probably why it ended up all blue-ish. 

I thought I'd try one more tonight and just looked for a high res high quality face shot and not worry about trying to make a famous person. heheh I think it turned out better:

I just used it to make the face texture above. The shape itself is a dial spun character. 

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    Bunyip02 said:
    BeeMKay said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Han Solo Genesis 1 Demo version

I have DAZ3D installed on my E-drive, was able to find and load the Genesis figure for the morph to work.

FaceGen also saved the morph and texture files to my E-drive DAZ3D install.

Where's your TEMP folder, also in E-drive?

C-drive

AH, so your Temp is iat the default position. Mine is on D-drive, and I got all sorts of errors about Genesis not found because of that.

That's why I was wondering if that particular problem got solved with FaceGen.

edited February 2017
    Artini said:

OK, because I could not place in my memory a G3M character that looks like your facegen morph, which is very good even if I don't know enough about famous people to know who it is is a a convincing model of a random face.

Thanks. I think Facegen creates a convincing character head morphs and saves a lot of time (and money) in long run,

if you need some various looking characters for the scenes.

I have tried before, manually mixing different head shapes in Daz Studio, but it was a hit and miss.

With Facegen, even if I could not get a 100 percent likeness of the face from the photo, now I could create a lot of different head shapes with such a little effort.

Post edited by Artini on

Sound like you were given the wrong license key. If you have the correct license for FaceGen Artist Pro and not just FaceGen Home, you will have tabs for <Genesis 3F> and <Genesis 3M>

Oh, I'm talking about the demo. I wanted to test it out first on G3...

• Jay Jay_1264499Jay Jay_1264499 Posts: 298
    edited February 2017

Morning, found a couple of videos on YouTube (was surprised there wasn't a lot more to be honest considering this isn't a cheap piece of software) which have helped but just have a couple more.  Am I right in saying that I don't have to use the textures that FaceGen creates and could (once I've made my new face and imported onto a Gen figure) then use any purchased skin from anothe figure to cover it and the body etc..? 

Also, once the morph is dialled onto the figure do you still have full range of expression movement using the normal head parameters (expression , eyebrow movement etc).  Does the morph tear when using these settings..?

Thanks to anyone who can answer :) 

Post edited by Jay Jay_1264499 on

I have tested with different character materials from Daz and PA characters and I like the results.

This was my main idea of using Facegen - just creating the head morphs. I have not tested the expressions on such morphs yet,

but I hope they will work to some degree as they do with the other characters available.

• Thanks for the reply Artini.  I'm in the same situation as you in that I'm just after creating more varied face morphs.  The ability to do this from photos is a bonus as there's friends and family I'd like to Dazify!  Not really interested in celebrity morphs but can see the appeal to some for parody type art etc

I can't think there would be many issues with expressions as you're dialling it onto the main figure which already has the required meshes etc. 

Thanks again

Artini said:

I have tested with different character materials from Daz and PA characters and I like the results.

This was my main idea of using Facegen - just creating the head morphs. I have not tested the expressions on such morphs yet,

but I hope they will work to some degree as they do with the other characters available.

edited February 2017

Well, first of all DS somehow got all screwed up on my Windows laptop and I can't access 90% of my content including Anagenesis so this is an IRay render without IRay materials. Second, I did not use a neutral expression. Ended up trying to tweak it with aging morphs and some other morphs. Couldn't access most of my hair, but found this for now. So, this pretty much sucks as is, but I do see potential if I can get DS working again to access my content and I'd like see what FG would look like on G3, wish the demo had that.

Anyway, it is my first attempt with a lot of limitations... It is what it is LOL...

Trump smile.JPG
    302 x 302 - 25K
    Trump CU Test 6.png
    800 x 800 - 997K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • Almost nailed that smirk..!!!