Facegen now on sale...get it!

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,304

I picked up the demo a few weeks ago and have monkeyed with it a little but not much really. Since it's on sale now for way cheaper than I was looking at, I decided to dust off the demo and see if I could get anything decent with it.  I came up with this, not exacltly a point-and-click operation, I had to do some decent tweaking to get it right. For example, it had a bit of a pin-head and so I had to use a d-former to widen the top of the head so it was proportionate. But I got something decent, much better (for me) than HeadShop was here, which was so broken (for me) that I had to return it.  If this is still on sale tomorrow, I may break down and do it, time to sleep on it.

Is that JFK?

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited February 2017

I picked up the demo a few weeks ago and have monkeyed with it a little but not much really. Since it's on sale now for way cheaper than I was looking at, I decided to dust off the demo and see if I could get anything decent with it.  I came up with this, not exacltly a point-and-click operation, I had to do some decent tweaking to get it right. For example, it had a bit of a pin-head and so I had to use a d-former to widen the top of the head so it was proportionate. But I got something decent, much better (for me) than HeadShop was here, which was so broken (for me) that I had to return it.  If this is still on sale tomorrow, I may break down and do it, time to sleep on it.

Is that JFK?

Yes it is.  The morph and texture were actually based on an artists rendering of what JFK would look like if he lived into his 60s. It had the benefit of being a straight ahead shot, perfect for FeceGen, the bad part was the texture was aged looking. I had to get rid of lots of textured in wrinkles and the like but it gave me a good base to work from.  Got lucky finding that artists concept though.

Post edited by grinch2901 on
  • This program looks like it's pretty great. I just wish I could afford it.

At least I can play with the demo. That's nice of them to let us have that for free. 

Nice...really great transfer of the photo to FG character!   I'm curious as to how you got the demo version to export to Daz.  I wasn't able to do it.

Go to File >> Export. Then choose the figure target (Genesis 1, Genesis 2 Female, or Genesis 2 Male). Name the file then click Export. 

Once it's done exporting it will pop up the directory on where to find the new texture files and morph files as well as direction on how to apply them:

Ah...I must have had the older version of the demo.  The export tabs aren't available.  No worries. :)

At least I can play with the demo. That's nice of them to let us have that for free. 

BTW...Who is the model?  She's got a really great face for this.  Thanks for attaching the original pic. Do you mind if I give a try using her face?

This program looks like it's pretty great. I just wish I could afford it.

BTW...Who is the model?  She's got a really great face for this.  Thanks for attaching the original pic. Do you mind if I give a try using her face?

It's Brazilian model Marina Nery. And sure, have at it. :)

edited February 2017

Nice...really great transfer of the photo to FG character!   I'm curious as to how you got the demo version to export to Daz.  I wasn't able to do it.

Go to File >> Export. Then choose the figure target (Genesis 1, Genesis 2 Female, or Genesis 2 Male). Name the file then click Export. 

Once it's done exporting it will pop up the directory on where to find the new texture files and morph files as well as direction on how to apply them:

Ah...I must have had the older version of the demo.  The export tabs aren't available.  No worries. :)

I highly recommend downloading the newest version of the FaceGen Artist demo. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

Is that JFK?

Yes it is.  The morph and texture were actually based on an artists rendering of what JFK would look like if he lived into his 60s. It had the benefit of being a straight ahead shot, perfect for FeceGen, the bad part was the texture was aged looking. I had to get rid of lots of textured in wrinkles and the like but it gave me a good base to work from.  Got lucky finding that artists concept though.

Very cool. :) I like the idea of using it to do political figures. Sounds like it could make for some fun political art. 

• SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684
    edited February 2017

@Divamakeup-

Looking at the quality of your examples, I'm betting that if you put together a step by step DS tutorial for this, including 'tweeking' the skins from other models in photoshop/Gimp, many people would pay for it. Around 10$ a pop you'd only need 13 to buy- I would! Then you can have the program pay for itself!

Post edited by Summerhorse on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

The nice thing about model shots is they often go for neutral expressions, which works nicely (I prefer to not have an expression baked into the model)

That is seriously good, Divamakeup! If you have the free time, would you post a couple of pics with that morph put through the paces of a few expressions from your free expressions pack? I am curious to see if the facial features remain recognizable or if they start to distort. The program is still out of my budget, despite the sale. If it got down to the $35 range I'd snap it up.

Excellent...here she is, with a few changes to make her a different character. :)

Nyssa Test 2.jpg
    772 x 1000 - 431K
    Nyssa Test 4.jpg
    772 x 1000 - 250K
  • Here's Marina using a different photo of her.  I also used Figure Metrics to apply her measurements to G3F.  No other morphs were used.

MarinaNeryV2.jpg
    772 x 1000 - 319K
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,493
    edited February 2017

inquire

Three Areas I'm Questioning:

(1) I too am wondering if there is going to be a Macintosh version? If not, does it work with Wine? I've never tried Wine, but supposedly it lets you use Windows apps on a Macintosh.

I'm guessing no but only the merchant can answer this. It's been out a while though so....

(2) Also, how well does this work? I've tried the Faceshop app. (Maybe I should not even mention the name.) But, does this Face Gen really work? 

The configuration gave me a little trouble but it was easily resolved by the install guide on the Facegen website. After that it worked 100% like I expected it to and was quite easy to use and forgiving when it comes to bad source photos. The demo actually lets you create a test morph on Genesis 2 which you could easily clone the watermark out of with photoshop if you really wanted to. 

I'd say it works fantastically and produces a very good likeness. Faceshop has never quite lived up to it's promise in my experience and I do own both. Face Gen is a nearly perfect product in my estimation and actually works as promised.

(3) The promo info mentions generating a full body texture. Is it possible to generate the facial features without a texture, and then apply the face to a genesis (1, 2, or3) figure and use whatever textures the user desires?

Yes. You don't have to have photos and can generate a texture and morph from what's included with the ap. There's no reason you can't open the texture in photoshop and improve it. I've done that in a few cases.

I'm attaching a source photo I worked from and the character render. It took me about 10 minutes to create her character including linking all the surface textures. I think the likeness is pretty solid. I bought Face Gen at the full price of $140 and have never regretted the purchase for a second. That's about as sound of an endorsement as I can give a product.

Face Gen is Great!

FaceGen.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 284K
    Post edited by Greybro on

Excellent...here she is, with a few changes to make her a different character. :)

Very nice! She looks great! :)

23Cascade said:

@Divamakeup-

Looking at the quality of your examples, I'm betting that if you put together a step by step DS tutorial for this, including 'tweeking' the skins from other models in photoshop/Gimp, many people would pay for it. Around 10$ a pop you'd only need 13 to buy- I would! Then you can have the program pay for itself!

That's a cool idea. :) I don't know if I'd feel comfortable charging people for something like that though. heh 

That is seriously good, Divamakeup! If you have the free time, would you post a couple of pics with that morph put through the paces of a few expressions from your free expressions pack? I am curious to see if the facial features remain recognizable or if they start to distort. The program is still out of my budget, despite the sale. If it got down to the $35 range I'd snap it up.

Here are a few expressions from that pack. The lighting is a bit different so it doesn't look exactly the same. And the textures, for sure, will need some adjustments in photoshop or gimp or another art program. 

• Does this have a license key?

• Here's the second verson of Marina, close up.

BTW...Diva, those expressions are great!

MarinaNeryV2closeup.jpg
    772 x 1000 - 478K
  • Thanx for posting the expressions, Diva! The character's overall look responds well when her expressions change. I was worried that the expressions would distort the Facegen morph badly.

• Jay Jay_1264499Jay Jay_1264499 Posts: 298
    edited February 2017

Does this have a license key?

Yes it does. When you purchase via Daz you'll see the serial number under your account serial numbers section. Activating is easy and I chose the of fine activation as my machine is not on the network. So had to email them and they provided me an activation code. Customer service was great and prompt (am based in the UK). So all positive so far!
    Post edited by Jay Jay_1264499 on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,726

Nicely done Diva! One of the great things about this post, it shows that there are people in the world that resemble some of the DAZPoser models we use since she looks alot like a Thorne character. I see too many posts about why there are not any normal or none fantasy characters since real people don't look like this.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,885
    edited February 2017

I really don't like the face gen skins all that much, and advise using better skins.

But note that a face morph can really change the look of a skin, so ... 

The whole point in me getting any of these types of products is to recreate a person in 3D, including a texture based off of the reference photos used. So far based off the info in the forums it seems neither one does that good of a job at this. If I want just a unique face morph, I already have the Simtereo randomizer which does a stellar job at creating unique morphs

Yea, I've been playing with it too and I don't think the final result is close enough to the original, except with certain characters. The preview in the program actually looks quite close, but the final version does not. This one (G2F) is made from 2333x3499 HQ photos, including profiles.

facegen_test.jpg
    1147 x 468 - 51K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

The only thing that really annoys me about the program is having to edit the eyelashes out of textures in Photoshop aftewards (I'm talking about skins generated by the program here, not photo-generated skins). It doesn't take long, but it annoys me because it's so unnecessary - when you click one of the buttons under the male or female 'Texture' tab, the program doesn't just add wrinkles and blemishes to your skin, it draws eyelashes on the eyelids. Just... why?!

Anyway, I thought I'd post to mention that I've found a Google Groups forum for the product, for anyone else who didn't know it was there.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/facegen

• Does anyone know if you can change the textures files to a Merchant Resource Kit?

Thanks

thebert

• RAMWolff said:

And ugh, I can't even imagine what erotic artists might do with them! 

How do you think Dan Farr felt, he was the model for Michael 1+2. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    RAMWolff said:

And ugh, I can't even imagine what erotic artists might do with them! 

How do you think Dan Farr felt, he was the model for Michael 1+2. 

Well, he didn't do Michael 3 if that is any indication. :)

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

AHA! So this is a newer version of FaceGen than what I have. My version that I bought from June 2016 is 1.09. I only have the "Home" version, too, so I think I'll make the upgrade now since I can get it for $77 with a related sale item.

Diva-That face looks freakin' amazing! They must have done improved the software a bit. The area around the eyes looks much better than what I am used to, much cleaner. Often makeup and long eyelashes really mess up the textures that FG generates, at least in 1.09. I had to go into GIMP and clean up these textures a lot. I still see a strange swirl in her eye textures, perhaps an artifact of the reflection in her eyes in the source.

Did you do anything to these textures before applying them?

Maybe the new version has different source textures.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Now, off to find one of those Marilyn Monroe characters I have in my archive, finally have someone for her to hang out with!

Excellent JFK.

• Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,109

Well, I used FaceGenPro to create a character from a picture. I followed the instructions to apply the textures it created. At first I had trouble with some black areas on the shoulders, etc, just like someone else. In fact, I think my character and his looked the same with the mismatched textures, but then I discovered that some of the parts got set to other textures in the set then I had chosen. Maybe I did this someone. But I selected them in groups that were given. Anyway, I got that sorted out. But I'm having trouble with the eyes and the eyelashes. They are white. Do I have to apply a transmap somewhere?

And do you have to make bump and specular maps somehow? I think Filter Forge can do it, but I don't know how. Any other programs that can do this?

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128

First try I just went with the default work flow with no adjustments. I did have the front and both sides photos and put it on genesis 3. I got some shine from the original photo on his right side.  I think I will really like this program... much better than the older version in Poser.

facegen test 1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 224K