Centaur 7

Comments

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited April 2017

I agree that the default trassition is a bit abrupt,

but with just a little bit of tweaking (about 30 seconds of painting in blender in this case) it can be much more natural.

Of course if you're me and believe there's no doing like overdoing you can go and make the transition as low as you want,

(by making a custom uv for the centaur that extends the skin texture further down and turns him into a horrifying flesh monster and having the horse texture with the normal uvs only on the geoshell. viva blender!)

centaur base.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 1M
    centaur tweaked.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 1M
    centaur tweaked silly.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 1M
    centaur terrifying flesh moster.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by j cade on
  • IldanachIldanach Posts: 217
    j cade said:

This looks great! Can you re-use that on any character now, or do you have to do it each time you use a different male figure?

Would be nice to have a couple of different transitions available so each character could be a little different. I tried playing around with the transparency map in Photoshop, but think I made it worse in the end lol

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,979
    edited April 2017

Yeah but J Cade what if you are a Blender dummy (me) .........then what? I really like the 3rd one!! But that is the worse case of alipicea ( I spelled that wrong)on number 4, I've seen ,I hope he uses sunscreen 

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • Wow. that all human skin centaur, is.....um.....It's really something. O_o

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2017
    Ildanach said:

Added this to my cart, took it back out and then added it in again all day long. Eventually bit the bullet and went for it. If you're on the fence about Centaur 7 I would suggest you go for it. It's a great set. Well done to everyone involved in working on all the various pieces! Great job!

Here's a test render...

Centaur 7

This is lovely! I was able to get the bundle today and can't wait to render it. Love what you did here! 

@carrie58 LOL! Love the Centaur Cowboy!

Post edited by Llynara on
    edited April 2017
    Thom3D said:

Thought i'd add my thumbs up for a possible "Centauride 7" or whatever it may end up being called.

Tweaking the Centaur 7 to get a Centauride/Centauress was the first thing i did after grabbing the pro bundle. 

Any female-C7 will be in my Smart Content listing the first day i see it in the shop. And yes i'd grab a "Pro" bundle if it looks good.

Nice work, but this is still too masculine for my tastes when it comes to a female version.

Here is the one I put together with GF3 a few months back. It works for my purposes, but is a pain to pose/change materials, which is why I would be interested in a female version of the new one. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Both female versions look great! And wow, FSMC, you did a nice job here of making her very feminine and graceful. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,120

@th3Digit and @Thom3D how did you guys do that? Make the male invisible and put the female on top of him? Very cool laugh

mine is GenX and Max's skin

but under hidden there is a G3F clone anyone can use, I mainly used GenX instead as wanted an over exaggerated female with huge human dugs, possibly the G3F is more accurate as the equine udders are placed near the rear and the male meat and veg mesh may provide enough polys or maybe Skiriki's horse 2 teat morph on ShareCG if one can find a way to use Horse 2 morphs on it.

Wow, great render! I did the same thing, adding & removing it from my cart but I did end up getting it after all, as broke as I am, but at least still had my PC coupon to use on it. This is something very different that I didn't have and now I can't wait to play with it! 

Cheers! Yeah my wallet was pretty hurt during March madness so I kept pulling it from the cart. But then I really really wanted it so kept putting it back in lol

Llynara said:
    Ildanach said:

Added this to my cart, took it back out and then added it in again all day long. Eventually bit the bullet and went for it. If you're on the fence about Centaur 7 I would suggest you go for it. It's a great set. Well done to everyone involved in working on all the various pieces! Great job!

Here's a test render...

Centaur 7

This is lovely! I was able to get the bundle today and can't wait to render it. Love what you did here! 

@carrie58 LOL! Love the Centaur Cowboy!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! There is a lot in the bundle so just be prepared for the hardest part, trying to decide what to render smiley

While this one was rendering I was just itching to play with other bits and pieces

• Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837
    edited April 2017
    j cade said:

This looks like something Kurt Russell should be killing. But nothing beats the Centaur Cowboyl

Thanks for the nice comment anglereapperll

Post edited by Joe Webb on
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    Ildanach said:
    j cade said:

This looks great! Can you re-use that on any character now, or do you have to do it each time you use a different male figure?

Would be nice to have a couple of different transitions available so each character could be a little different. I tried playing around with the transparency map in Photoshop, but think I made it worse in the end lol

Usable on everything* (since its using a uv based on the g3m base uvs, If I were to try to use a character with uvs that were wildly different from the base there would probably be some seam issues)

As to painting new transparency maps, there's a seam for the horse part right down the middle front which makes flat texturing in things like photoshop a complete nightmare. This is definitely one of those instances where having a 3d texturing program makes things way easier.

carrie58 said:

Yeah but J Cade what if you are a Blender dummy (me) .........then what? I really like the 3rd one!! But that is the worse case of alipicea ( I spelled that wrong)on number 4, I've seen ,I hope he uses sunscreen 

Just remember 4 is always there under number 3... lurking.

• Thom3DThom3D Posts: 8
    Thom3D said:
    Here is the one I put together with GF3 a few months back. It works for my purposes, but is a pain to pose/change materials, which is why I would be interested in a female version of the new one. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

THX for the kudos and comment, and yes i do agree on the too-muscular comment. Before my OP i was rendering (still is as i post) one a bit more dainty : ) Don't know if i'll be able to post it before heading to some evening time at the office.

Your Centauress is wonderful, nice porportions.

edited April 2017

and now Indian Centaur!!

IndianCentaur7.png
    1135 x 695 - 1M

we need ladies so one can do this!!!

I must export a few obj to use as statues in Carrara

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,876
    edited April 2017

I did make a cowboy centaur too

cowboy_centaur.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 308K
    Post edited by RawArt on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,985

If people aren't familiar with it, I highly recommend Stinz as an inspiration.

Family of centaurs set in a pastoral German countryside in a world roughly like the early 1900s.

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited April 2017

I did 2 WIP textures for the DH2 (so I could then do the centaur) but I won't be releasing them. The Percheron/Andalusian/spottyhorse (I'm not a horse person) stock commercial textures are way too expensive to buy, so hell no. The second one, the muddy, dirty horse is sellable but it's not very nice. The third was just a test with a dude. The pose caused the weird spikes on the tail's base. 

If I ever get my hands on gorgeous horse textures, or I figure out a way to fake it nicely (I'll be OCD about the fur pattern directions and whorls, etc) I'd love to do it properly. 

All in all, it was a great learning experience for hair/manes/tails, at least! I just wish the mane came all the way up the neck...

Horse Test 5.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 427K
    Horse Test 11.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 701K
    Horse Test 8.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 256K
    Post edited by Saiyaness on
    Saiyaness said:

................................................................................................................................................................................................... I just wish the mane came all the way up the neck...

yeah that was said alot about Horse2 the mane not being right .........but those textures look good

edited April 2017

oh and I played around with scaleing and got ......

youwantmetowhat.png
    827 x 695 - 293K
    edited April 2017
    Saiyaness said:

I did 2 WIP textures for the DH2 (so I could then do the centaur) but I won't be releasing them. The Percheron/Andalusian/spottyhorse (I'm not a horse person) stock commercial textures are way too expensive to buy, so hell no. The second one, the muddy, dirty horse is sellable but it's not very nice. The third was just a test with a dude. The pose caused the weird spikes on the tail's base. 

If I ever get my hands on gorgeous horse textures, or I figure out a way to fake it nicely (I'll be OCD about the fur pattern directions and whorls, etc) I'd love to do it properly. 

All in all, it was a great learning experience for hair/manes/tails, at least! I just wish the mane came all the way up the neck...

I think they look very nice. I can't imagine how challenging doing this bundle was. A special thanks to everyone that worked on it. It was a product I didn't even know I wanted until I saw it. Beautifully done! And I do hope we see some centaurs from you sometime, Saiyaness. It's always fun to see the cool things you come up with! And I can't wait to see what @RawArt has in store for us! Loving the cowboy centaurs! 

edited April 2017
    Saiyaness said:

I would buy them and since the UV matches can use on the Centaur too and maybe with some work Rogan

any textures are always appreciated which is why I hoped Rawn could expand his to head and neck, my Gimp attempt using an existing horse texture was pretty sad (the one rolling over by Rogan wearing his toy cow)

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

I think the coloration in your first picture called dappled gray, Saiyaness. I think they look pretty decent, but if the merchant resources are eye-stabbingly expensive, I can't blame you for shelving the project :)

Carrara Octane obj render

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

If people aren't familiar with it, I highly recommend Stinz as an inspiration.

Family of centaurs set in a pastoral German countryside in a world roughly like the early 1900s.

Ah, so you're a fan of the Barrvarian*? Have you managed to come across the book she wrote? Lots of interesting odds and ends of halfhorse (don't, if you value your anatomy in an unkicked state, call them "centaurs") culture, even more than there is in the comics.

* Yes, the author's name is Donna Barr. And yes, she makes jokes like that as often as she can get away with.

• Here's a really terrible proof of concept render.

I stuck the Centaur bits onto Genesis 2 Female because WTF, I like Genesis 2 Female for two very good reasons up front.

I didn't bother with the Geo Shell because it's a PITA, and it's designed for G3M. Adapting it to G2F would've been a pain.

"Male Centaur Body" isn't meant to conform to anything, I don't think. If you adjust the Autofit/"Fit To" to your female figure, it doesn't actually do anything. I think the Shell is the part that's actually doing something. A very interesting design choice.

I can refine the Opacity map. (Yeah, Centaur = Horse 2 under the hood)

Scaling? Just work on anything at the Pelvis node and below on Horse 2/Centaur Body.

If I didn't have a bunch of other things to work on, I'd make a prettier Centaur... but if I can make it work on G2F, then it's fine for G3F.

Yeah, it's slightly manual here, but I liked all the other stuff in the bundle... so it works for me.

G2F Centaur v2.jpg
    819 x 578 - 128K
  • huh just noticed there is a size difference between daz horse 2 and centaur 7 should of relised that seeing how the human aspect fits right 

horse 2 and centaur7 size .png
    1001 x 607 - 545K
  • UthgardUthgard Posts: 859
    j cade said:

I agree that the default trassition is a bit abrupt,

but with just a little bit of tweaking (about 30 seconds of painting in blender in this case) it can be much more natural.

Of course if you're me and believe there's no doing like overdoing you can go and make the transition as low as you want,

(by making a custom uv for the centaur that extends the skin texture further down and turns him into a horrifying flesh monster and having the horse texture with the normal uvs only on the geoshell. viva blender!)

That is actually really cool. Is there any chance you can release this as a freebie for us, poor Blender illiterates? I mean, I understand all of the words, and I even get the significance of the order you put them in, but translating them into action...

• Thom3DThom3D Posts: 8
    edited April 2017

Below is my second scene with the idea of a Centauress (morphing a G3F to the Male C7 body). I do like the idea of being able to pose the two parts individually, one pose for the horse body and another (including facial expressions) to the upper human body. It was also my first scene utilizing the Growing Up bundle on a G3 avi. On this one i took both the Arabian and Thoroughbred sliders to 100% and took the male waist/hips as small on the morph scale as i could. Then manually placed the G3F and morphed her belly/waist to match. I could have moved her left arm out of the way as the blend is nice.

On the comments from others about going crazy during the last month's March Maddness... 

I went back and reviewed my orders, and since downloading DAZ on Feb 20th (This March being my 1st full calendar month using DAZ) there are just under 550 items in my install listing. So yea a bit crazy. Basically, if it has a nice (non-war) like feel to the Fantasy item and is on sale, it will be in the cart. 

BUT, it's all fun and i learn and ponder new things daily. For instance...

Just how do those copper cups stay attached as she gallops through the woods?

: ) Thom

Post edited by Thom3D on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    edited April 2017

....I have so MANY answers to that.

Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,985

Yeah, it'd be funny to have a full sized horse and full sized human together... this tiny body flopping around... heh.

Here's another classical depiction of a centaur (warning, mild nudity and violence): http://www.thehellenictimes.com/images/centaurs2105.jpg