Problems loading a DAZ Studio installed content to DAZ Studio 3

RGastonRGaston Posts: 4
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have DAZ Studio 2.8, 3 and 4.5 Pro installed on my Laptop. If I use DAZ Studio 2.8 I can load the DAZ Studio installed content Fairy Woods found in the files Studio, Prop, Enviornment, and it works fine. I like it over DAZ's Cyclorama because I can rotate it to make a different scene or to make it look different. I tried loading it into DAZ Studio 3 and I get nothing, just the plane but no textures, nada. I save the Fairy Woods scene (after loading it using 2.8) I can then load into DAZ Studio 3 but there are no textures on the trees, mushrooms or the rocks. What can I do to fix this. I thought I used it once before, but I picked up a really nasty virus and it wiped everything off my Laptop, then had to take it back into the shop because my video chip got overheated and fried. I now got another Laptop (but with the same Hard Drive) and had to reload everything I saved on my backup disk, still working on restoring everything but in the mean time I have done some renders and noticed this problem. Thanks for the assistance.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If you Point your DS3 to the DS2 content folder (In Pref's) it should load Fine. Mine does.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,099
    edited December 1969

The fairy woods are a "light" version of the Millennium Environment, as I recall - but you should be able to make them work in DS3+ by saving them from DS2 - very old scenes use a slightly different format for the UVs that later versions of DS seem unable to handle, but DS2 will handle them and later versions will handle the DS2 saves OK.

• RGastonRGaston Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

When I go to My Prefrences, I tell it to load my content folder in DAZ Studio (which I assume is all the DAZ Studio/Poser Content that I have loaded, I have not really added the folder for DAZ Studio 3 because I automatically assume that DAZ Studio 3 will read all content related to DAZ Studio except 4.5 and DAZ Studio 4.5 will read all content related to DAZ Studio, DAZ Studio 3.1 and DAZ Studio 4.5. So before my Laptop crashed I was able to load everything for Fairy Woods including all the textures in DAZ Studio 3.1, now for some reason I can not do it. But I can load it all in DAZ Studio 2.8 including all the textures. I just tried to load it again last night and was able to load at least the backgroun and the ground, but when I tried to load a Fern (bush) all I get is a twig, the trees (one with the knothole in it as well as the other one) will load but green (no textures) and when I hit the texture button nothing happens. But I can load the grass ring, grass tufts and now the morphing rock. ugh this is so frustrating, I really like the Fairy Woods, lol ;):lol:

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,099
    edited December 1969

That's odd - DS2 doesn't usually have the problems with the messed up UVs (which I'm pretty sure is what you are seeing - the wrong areas of the maps are being applied, and where they are opacity maps that is causing the whole mesh to vanish). As I said, I'm pretty sure that the faerie woods are the Millennium Environment so you could get that and apply the materials from Faerie Woods to it.

• RGastonRGaston Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Hi Richard, long time no see old friend. Sorry I haven't been to active here for awhile. Ok, I am not having problems with DAZ Studio 2.8, the Fairy Woods shows up fine in that, for some reason its not showing up to well in DAZ Studio 3.1 which I also have (as well as 4.5 Pro). A few months back I picked up a virus which wiped my hard drive so I had to reload everything (Still reloading all my back up files, lol). Before I picked up the virus though the Fairy Woods loaded up fine, now after I reloaded everything I decided to load the Fairy Woods to do a render, at first I wasn't getting any background images just a blank screen and no grass, trees were green, the grass was not showing up, the bushes were just twigs and the rock was just basically blank, did not even look like a rock. Now I am getting the background image, grass tuffs and grass ring is showing up, the rock looks like a rock but the trees still are green and the bush still looks like a twig in the ground. That is why I am trying to figure out what is wrong and what I need to do to fix it.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited March 2013

That scene is not compatible with DS3 and above. You can re-save it in DS2 and then loaded it in DS3 or DS4...that should work (see here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2085018)

A more expensive fix would be to purchase the 3D Starter Pack from the store. Or, the Figures, Characters, and Avatars book (old version). Both of these include the content in a version compatible with later versions of DAZ Studio.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on