"auto-adapted"

Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
edited March 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

I'm packaging up some DAZ mats (complete with metadata) for a Poser native prop. What I need to know is whether .dufs in the “auto-adapted” folder (my library/data/auto-adapted/item in question) contain geometry information which can be used to obtain a complete model. Leaking the original geometry would be very bad.

I've tested the problem by moving the .pp2s from the original product. Attempting to load the prop from the smart content yields an error (something to the effect of, can’t find .pp2), and the model won't load. Now I'm wondering if this is because Studio needs the .pp2 for the geometry, or if the error is occuring for another reason.

I’m hoping there is someone here that can help me out, or that can point me in the direction of documentation that can (the latter seems very hard to find).

Edit: I should point out that the mats and metadata will be distributed separately from the original product.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on

Comments

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited March 2013

Do you have a duf file in autoadapted? I only have dsf. Normally, redistributing a duf is fine, but not a dsf. You can open it (both, in fact) in 7zip and extract the text file and see for yourself if there is a very long line of vertexes or not.
    It should be possible to hack a duf to call a pp2 file. On the other hand, a duf should look on its own for the Poser file if it can't find the DS native version.
    For the mats just save a materials preset, which can go alongside the Poser mats. if Poser mats and DS mats have the same name and are on the same folder inside the Runtime, DS will load its own.

Post edited by ReDave on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,074
    edited December 1969

The AutoAdapted files shouldn't be needed if you haven't made any changes to the item (such as AutoFitting it) - DS will be able to rebuild them from the pp2/OBJ file on the destination system (which is how .duf files can be safe to share without infringing copyright, unlike .daz files which needed the converted geometry to work).

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited March 2013

Thanks guys. They were indeed .dsf files. Not sure why I thought they were .duf. I only thought of including them in the package as the last archive I sent back to the original author (which didn't have any "auto-adapted" files) returned an error when he went to apply the mats. I'm not even sure why Studio is asking for them.

The mats were and are saved as a material preset. Even though it returns an error (looks for the "auto-adapted" files) it does still load the mats as expected. Do we know why DAZ is asking for these files, and do we know a way to get around this?

Edit: I'm not sure why the mat files ask for files in the auto-adapted folder, but it seems you can edit out the references by opening up the mat files and deleting the references. Anyone know of a quicker easier way?

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on