HU: Poser 10 and up Validation

Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,619
edited August 2019 in The Commons

Heads Up!

I read this on Rendo. It looks like if you have Poser 10 and up you will have to upgrade for it to continue working. I have Poser 2012 Pro (which I think is the Pro version of Poser 9); so I hope it will continue working

The main reason for the update is the depreciation of Smith Micro's licensing system.

Starting Sept. 16, if you do not update, your Poser may not work if you have above Poser 10 because the licensing system will not be able to complete the over-the-internet check needed to confirm your license key.

If you want your Poser to continue to work properly, you must update.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,342

For Poser 11 users, I imagine this will be a free update, so I wonder where this leaves the Poser 10 users, as I suspect they are not going to build a new version of their older software.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the latest poser requires re-activation, so i never upgraded from pp2012

pp2012 doesnt require internet to run.  always hated the shopping tab in poser

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Can you link to the post were it says that? I am registered Poser 11 Pro user and the last email I got regarding Poser was the January/February 2018 Poser 11 free upgrade. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,717

Another reason i am glad I stopped using Poser, LOL

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716

I think the key here is "update" not "upgrade", as I understand it, anyone with the Game Development version of PP2014 (or what ever it was called), P11, PP11 will need to use the free update for their version of Poser (only the versions that "phone home" to keep functioning) or they will "time out" and not run, for anyone using Poser 2014 (not the Game Dev. version) or older, there is no need to update as they only use a license key. I could be wrong, but that's what I think is happening.

i still need poser,

unless DS has a way to convert deformers to morphs?

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,139

Another point to clarify, the post being referenced here is for "Early Adoption", i.e. get the 11.2 update a couple weeks sooner (September 4th instead of September 16th).  So your current copy of Poser 10 and up will still work up until September 16th.  After that, Poser may "time out", as the license system won't work anymore.

Something else to note, the post referenced doesn't mention any update for older versons of Poser, only the 11.2 update.  So anyone with a version prior to Poser 11 should contact Rendo about their specific version, just to be sure.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,364
    Mystarra said:

There might be a more direct method but exporting deformed mesh as obj, then using morph loader to create morph would work....

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,364
    Mystarra said:

There might be a more direct method but exporting deformed mesh as obj, then using morph loader to create morph would work....

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,918

Heads Up!

I read this on Rendo. It looks like if you have Poser 10 and up you will have to upgrade for it to continue working. I have Poser 2012 Pro (which I think is the Pro version of Poser 9); so I hope it will continue working

The main reason for the update is the depreciation of Smith Micro's licensing system.

Starting Sept. 16, if you do not update, your Poser may not work if you have above Poser 10 because the licensing system will not be able to complete the over-the-internet check needed to confirm your license key.

If you want your Poser to continue to work properly, you must update.

...yeah have PP 2012 and I believe you are right. 

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited August 2019

I have poser 11 pro and i have not had to to do any revalidation yet. but i got my license from rendo anyway so no biggy

i think that some people are blowing this out of proportion because in a interview  on rendo they said there was a patch going t0 be issued for older poser software

https://www.renderosity.com/poser-update-an-interview-with-poser-s-content-manager-beta-team-lead-cms-21677

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,619

Can you link to the post were it says that? I am registered Poser 11 Pro user and the last email I got regarding Poser was the January/February 2018 Poser 11 free upgrade. 

https://www.renderosity.com/how-to-become-a-poser-11-2-early-adopter-cms-21693

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,742

Good to know Poser 6-8 will continue to work as average as ever.

https://www.renderosity.com/how-to-become-a-poser-11-2-early-adopter-cms-21693

Thanks. I sent them an email just now. I don't use Poser much buch I do use it sometimes. 

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I have PP2014 - which is the Pro equivalent of Poser 10, so I think I am safe.

I am afraid people with Poser Pro Game Dev could be in troube, because that was the first version that required an internet connection to activate the software:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/poser-pro-game-dev/106017

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

I know this isn't at all comforting to those affected but this sort of thing is becoming more common.These schemes which rely on net connections to validate that the software is properly licensed have a fatal flaw in that they usually rely on a third party validation service which if the company providing that service shuts down the software that relies on it to be usable at all are left out in the cold.

• hjakehjake Posts: 836

This was my email discussion with Renderosity Support:

ME:

" Part of the process of moving from Smith Micro to Bondware is the depreciation of SM's licensing system. Starting Sept. 16, if you do not update, your Poser may not work because the licensing system will not be able to complete the over-the-internet check needed to confirm your license key.

That means you must update. If you want to make sure you get updated in time, we are accepting early adopters starting Sept. 2. We will release more information about that soon. "

How and where do I get updated in time? Do I have to pay some kind of transfer fee to convert my Smith Micro Poser Pro 11 license to a Renderosity Poser Pro 11 license?

THEM:

There is no fee if you already have a Poser 11 or Poser Pro 11 license. :) We will notify everyone...this article is one of the ways to do that. And you would go to our download page we will post and download the new files. That is all. You will need to reinstall Poser, but no fee or cumbersome process needed. :)

edited August 2019
    Kerya said:

I have PP2014 - which is the Pro equivalent of Poser 10, so I think I am safe.

I am afraid people with Poser Pro Game Dev could be in troube, because that was the first version that required an internet connection to activate the software:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/poser-pro-game-dev/106017

That and the Poser Pro 11+ are the two relatively new versions I have and require internet to both activate & use. I'm hoping that the activation is just changed to offline activation but we'll see I guess.

I'm also wondering the process the Renderosity gets that the serial that requires internet to function for Poser 11.1 is mine. Just what customer data regarding legitimate owners of various Poser  versions was passed onto Renderosity from Smith Micro?

I would also like to see Poser have the AMD Pro Renderer & nVidia iRay render engines integrated into Poser Pro 11.3.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Leana said:
    Mystarra said:

Window>Panes(Tabs)>dForm has a button for spawning morphs from dForms.

Leana said:
    Mystarra said:

Window>Panes(Tabs)>dForm has a button for spawning morphs from dForms.

kewl,  don't need to install poser on my pristine fresh rebuild

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I have Poser 8 up and running and used regularly    I have Poser 10 and Poser 11 pro (upgrade)  both hard copies, sitting on my desk never been installed on my computer. (long story why not)

So I gather I should do something if I want to use either one or the other of these versions?

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited August 2019

Edited.... Never mind... a previous post I missed more or less answered my question.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Chohole said:

I have Poser 8 up and running and used regularly    I have Poser 10 and Poser 11 pro (upgrade)  both hard copies, sitting on my desk never been installed on my computer. (long story why not)

So I gather I should do something if I want to use either one or the other of these versions?

Your Poser 10 should be safe, as the page states:

"Starting Sept. 16, if you do not update, your Poser may not work if you have above Poser 10 because the licensing system will not be able to complete the over-the-internet check needed to confirm your license key."

But your Poser 11 is something different ... sorry.

I've written them an email but have yet to get a response. I have all the install files, data & programs on my local disk, I just need an update patcher that changes the way the serial is handled and maybe a new serial too if the new serial validation forces the issue.

I would like to be able to register both copies of Poser at Rendo too and if I get discounts/freebies for doing it all my even older copies of Poser although some of those CDs have been loaded for over 15 years into a computer.