How are you greeting the end of the world?

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,098

When I still worked, my company would not let hourly employees take their laptop home and work there. They didn't trust them to actually 'work'. Then claimed there was issues with insurance and stuff... But salaried employees, well they were issued laptops, cellphones, and expected to be available 24/7 because we were an international corporation. What are they doing now? No idea, but the work I did is FDA mandated, so they can't shut down. So I expect they sent everyone home and found a way to track laptop usage.

And it is noteworthy that the amount of time that was spent to keep people amused at the office with parties, sporting events, cigarette breaks, cellphone chats (some of our offices were in secure areas, you had to go outside to use them), and the too long office meetings.

But there are valid meetings were new information is passed on, trainings on products, or legal matters. Technology may solve that now. We didn't have Zoom when I held trainings for overseas staff, to find out that some folks just laid down the phone and walked away, so their supervisor had to pull them into a conference room to make sure they attended.

Most of my work was done by email and computer. I had little interaction with other employees during the day. Although I did interact with our labs.

For those whose jobs are not coming back in the foreseeable future, consider a temporary job change. Look into 'Tracing Contacts' in your area. It will require a variety of social and computer and discipline. They keep saying on the news that an army will be needed to do this. And it may be something you can do from home (?). If you are multi-lingual, that helps too. 

And on those checks. I retired from a 24 year career in the USAF. I have retirement income from that. I am now on Social Security as well, after being unemployed after my company above laid my department off, to move to a cheaper location and employees. I was employed there 20 years. No retirement, but I did get a severance package that covered me until I made it to 67. And just as I thought I was able to work again, an injury and arthritis forced me to acknowledge I just couldn't do it anymore. So I went on SS, before I wanted to. So I edit from home. I got one of those checks. No idea why. But I am using that to support the Food Bank of the Rockies. I will probably have to pay tax on it as well. 

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,208
    scorpio said:
    kyoto kid said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Mystiarra said:
    RAMWolff said:

Yeah just having SS to rely is not  the best, trust me. 

Try living on nothing - a lot are at the moment, a secure regular garanteed income would be nice for them, especially something that more than covers the rent, and I believe in the US you all just got a rather nice stimulus payment, if this does go on all year well lets just say for many that will not bode well.                    

I've only had a handful of friends and familly that have gotten their stimulus checks so it's not anything we can count on here, TRUST! 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,934
    edited May 2020
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    RAMWolff said:

As for Grocery shopping I carry a spray bottle of 85% acohol, I spray down the personal carry basket and anything I pick up to put in it.  I've given up brining my own bags as they won't pack them so they are back to using plastic bags.  It's hilarious to me that we all worked so hard to ban plastic bags and now we are back to using them.  LORD!  

Here our largest supermarket chain has a system where you can drop your stuff directly into your own bags after scanning the barcode with a mobile app connected with your credit card.  When checking out you just scan a QR code, show the green  "Paid" screen on the phone to the person at the counter, and the system registers everything, charges you card automatically, and stores the receipt on your phone.  No need to stand in line at checkout.

...but how does it work for produce, meats, fish and other items that are not prepackaged.

Don't know, never buy that kind of stuff.  But I guess they just put a barcode on the package, they probably do that anyway for use with normal checkout.

Post edited by Taoz on

There is a downside to remote working. You have to be very self disciplined about the hours, and it is much more difficult to forget any work stress as you finish, there is no commute to act as a break point dividing work from home life.

They expected the same here in Denmark, but a survey revealed the opposite - people forced to work from home because of the current situation actually generally got more work done and felt much better about it.  So now they want to make as many as possible work from home, also because it saves companies a lot of money. 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,623
    edited May 2020
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    RAMWolff said:

As for Grocery shopping I carry a spray bottle of 85% acohol, I spray down the personal carry basket and anything I pick up to put in it.  I've given up brining my own bags as they won't pack them so they are back to using plastic bags.  It's hilarious to me that we all worked so hard to ban plastic bags and now we are back to using them.  LORD!  

Here our largest supermarket chain has a system where you can drop your stuff directly into your own bags after scanning the barcode with a mobile app connected with your credit card.  When checking out you just scan a QR code, show the green  "Paid" screen on the phone to the person at the counter, and the system registers everything, charges you card automatically, and stores the receipt on your phone.  No need to stand in line at checkout.

...but how does it work for produce, meats, fish and other items that are not prepackaged.

Probably in the same way as we do in big supermarkets around here: 

For meat, fish or other items sold in stands where there is a clerk they will weight the products and print a label with the needed code. And for things like fruits or vegetables you weight them with self-service scales where you can select the type of product, and which will print the same kind of label.

That label is scanned by the cashier if you use "classic" checkout lane, or by you if you use a self-checkout lane or an app.

Post edited by Leana on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,153

I received my stimulus check by mail.  I'm in the US.  Came yesterday.

Wishing the best for all.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,485
    edited May 2020
    Diomede said:

Yeah, I got my stimulus injection via direct deposit a day or so before the 1st of the month.  This morning I spent $65 of it on long wanted DAZ stuff.yes  It was my biggest one time DAZ purchase in several years. surprise Hey, DAZ needs to be stimulated too, doesn't it?  We're all just stimulating each other.devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2020
    Some posts have been removed from the thread as the discussion was becoming politicised. Obviously it is difficult, given the subject matter, but we do ask you all to keep the discussion more general and stay within the terms of the ToS (General Code of Conduct  - bullet point #15)
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited May 2020
    Taoz said:

There is a downside to remote working. You have to be very self disciplined about the hours, and it is much more difficult to forget any work stress as you finish, there is no commute to act as a break point dividing work from home life.

They expected the same here in Denmark, but a survey revealed the opposite - people forced to work from home because of the current situation actually generally got more work done and felt much better about it.  So now they want to make as many as possible work from home, also because it saves companies a lot of money. 

My employer has found that there is the occasional person who breaks the rules around remote working (i.e. it's not a replacement under normal circumstances for child care...note I said under normal circumstances). But for the most part, productivity is increased. There isn't any inter-office chit chat, smoke breaks, etc. When I worked in the office, I spent half my day dealing with people who just cruised the cubicles looking to flap their gums. It was like being surrounded by a sea of clucking chickens. Working from home, I could get my job done in a fraction of the time because there is nobody to bother me. And yeah, depending on the job, it is harder to decrompress and get away, but as I am salaried, that would have been an issue while working in the office anyways. On the other hand, my employer (and my past supervisors...not so much my current supervisor unfortunately) was all about making sure people are truly not working...when they are not working. My husband works in the call center, so when he's done for the day, he's done and when he's not at work, he's not worrying about work. I'm in corporate, so that's a completely different mentality. But even so, I'd never want to go back into the office. The amount of money I save in clothing alone. Our home office is uber business attire. Everybody is dressed and primped to the nines. The place is like a city...they even have their own Starbucks. I've had to go there a couple times for meetings and hells to the no. I couldn't do it every day. I'd seriously have to take a 50% pay cut just to cover the expense of clothing and food and the commute not to mention getting my nails done and spending time at the salon just to look good enough to be there. 

Another thing my employer has learned about working from home, is that it avoids whole site shut downs. We have call centers across the country, and there have been times where a tornado in the mid-west and snow storm in the east have shut down multiple centers at once. By going remote, that is avoided (obviously it doesn't help if someone loses power or internet, but it wouldn't be everybody). In addition, being remote allows people to work while moderately under the weather...when they'd call out because they just feel like poop but would still want to work or don't want to get others sick. Remote work does take discipline and it's not for everybody...but it can be an amazing thing. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    kyoto kid said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Mystiarra said:
    RAMWolff said:

Saw that one on Facebook and had to repost it to my wall.  It's hilarious!  

LoL

think work from home will last all year?

would be nice to transision straight to retirement

If I had a retirement plan in place I would DEF do that at this point in my life but as I've joked/not joking with clients and friends, as a hairdresser I'll be working till I drop dead! 

401k becomes useable at 59.5.   there really is no way to prepare for the medicare gap.  but i hate doctors anyway. loathe hospita;s.  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,157

I just read Puerto Rico has been hit by a 5.5 Earthquake, pretty rough crying

Taoz said:

My employer has found that there is the occasional person who breaks the rules around remote working (i.e. it's not a replacement under normal circumstances for child care...note I said under normal circumstances). But for the most part, productivity is increased. There isn't any inter-office chit chat, smoke breaks, etc. When I worked in the office, I spent half my day dealing with people who just cruised the cubicles looking to flap their gums. It was like being surrounded by a sea of clucking chickens. Working from home, I could get my job done in a fraction of the time because there is nobody to bother me. And yeah, depending on the job, it is harder to decrompress and get away, but as I am salaried, that would have been an issue while working in the office anyways. On the other hand, my employer (and my past supervisors...not so much my current supervisor unfortunately) was all about making sure people are truly not working...when they are not working. My husband works in the call center, so when he's done for the day, he's done and when he's not at work, he's not worrying about work. I'm in corporate, so that's a completely different mentality. But even so, I'd never want to go back into the office. The amount of money I save in clothing alone. Our home office is uber business attire. Everybody is dressed and primped to the nines. The place is like a city...they even have their own Starbucks. I've had to go there a couple times for meetings and hells to the no. I couldn't do it every day. I'd seriously have to take a 50% pay cut just to cover the expense of clothing and food and the commute not to mention getting my nails done and spending time at the salon just to look good enough to be there. 

Another thing my employer has learned about working from home, is that it avoids whole site shut downs. We have call centers across the country, and there have been times where a tornado in the mid-west and snow storm in the east have shut down multiple centers at once. By going remote, that is avoided (obviously it doesn't help if someone loses power or internet, but it wouldn't be everybody). In addition, being remote allows people to work while moderately under the weather...when they'd call out because they just feel like poop but would still want to work or don't want to get others sick. Remote work does take discipline and it's not for everybody...but it can be an amazing thing. 

Not to mention the time and costs of transportation between home and office.  Many here work far from home and spend 2-3 hours or more each day that way.  There are indeed many advantages to working at home.  

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 41,012
    scorpio said:
    kyoto kid said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Mystiarra said:
    RAMWolff said:

Try living on nothing - a lot are at the moment, a secure regular garanteed income would be nice for them, especially something that more than covers the rent, and I believe in the US you all just got a rather nice stimulus payment, if this does go on all year well lets just say for many that will not bode well.                    

...PM forthcoming

namffuak said:

I'm still playing the hermit. I'm also considering dietary and hygiene changes for those occasions when I do go out. Time to do the onion, Limburger, garlic, and anchovy sandwiches, and see if I can get the local skunk to spray a pair of trousers for me. And then see just how many people are willing to crowd me ...

Eat a lot of beans coked in their own soaking water and generate your own "Chemical Warfare".  Some one gets too close and you just do a Rodney Dangerfield impression of some one stepping on a duck.

..there are also apps for this for your phone.

edited May 2020
    Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    RAMWolff said:

Don't know, never buy that kind of stuff.  But I guess they just put a barcode on the package, they probably do that anyway for use with normal checkout.

...I tend to purchase meats and fish at full serve counters veggies and fruits in bulk produce departments and I only buy exactly what I need as I live alone.  When prepackaged they wither tend to be more than I need or will use before they spoil or more expensive.  

Leana said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    RAMWolff said:

Probably in the same way as we do in big supermarkets around here: 

For meat, fish or other items sold in stands where there is a clerk they will weight the products and print a label with the needed code. And for things like fruits or vegetables you weight them with self-service scales where you can select the type of product, and which will print the same kind of label.

That label is scanned by the cashier if you use "classic" checkout lane, or by you if you use a self-checkout lane or an app.

...yeah meat and fish are wrapped and have a barcode label applied, but bulk veggies fruit and other items like spices and grains use a product code that the cashier must manually enter in before weighing (I don't use those self scan checkouts as they always seem to tell me I'm doing something wrong).  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited May 2020
    Diomede said:

...got mine as a Direct Deposit on Thursday 

Diomede said:

Yeah, I got my stimulus injection via direct deposit a day or so before the 1st of the month.  This morning I spent $65 of it on long wanted DAZ stuff.yes  It was my biggest one time DAZ purchase in several years. surprise Hey, DAZ needs to be stimulated too, doesn't it?  We're all just stimulating each other.devil

...so far used 200$ of mine to get a cup of good coffee, a small electric food chopper/processor, a pack of socks and finally pay off a couple past due bills.  As for Daz stuff  spent only 1.86$ so far on a DO that I used the my PC+ coupon on (first use of three for the month).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    Mystiarra said:
    kyoto kid said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Mystiarra said:
    RAMWolff said:

Saw that one on Facebook and had to repost it to my wall.  It's hilarious!  

LoL

think work from home will last all year?

would be nice to transision straight to retirement

If I had a retirement plan in place I would DEF do that at this point in my life but as I've joked/not joking with clients and friends, as a hairdresser I'll be working till I drop dead! 

401k becomes useable at 59.5.   there really is no way to prepare for the medicare gap.  but i hate doctors anyway. loathe hospita;s.  

...hopefully yours has matured enough. I have a friend whose 401k remained pretty stagnant, and is fortunate that he gets a pension from his former employer (one of the few companies left in the private anymore sector that does so), as well as SS.

...not again, they had a 6.4 one in late December as I recall. 

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    kyoto kid said:

...not again, they had a 6.4 one in late December as I recall. 

In California, we have a special scale for earthquakes. A 5.0, you change your stemware, a 6.0, you change your flatware, a 7.0, you change your underwear! I hope PR gets a pass on the disasters for a while...

kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    RAMWolff said:

...I tend to purchase meats and fish at full serve counters veggies and fruits in bulk produce departments and I only buy exactly what I need as I live alone.  When prepackaged they wither tend to be more than I need or will use before they spoil or more expensive.  

Depends on how you store them, I guess.  I'm a vegan so I only buy veggies and fruits, some pre-packaged some bulk, and always organic, they're always fresh here and usually keep fresh for at least a week in the fridge, often much longer, in a closed plastic bag after first washing them and letting them surface dry. They're already washed clean when you buy them but that second wash and clean and a new clean bag seems to make them keep longer. 

...next door tenant's dog is barking howling and yelping again making it hard to get to sleep. Been going on for the last two and a half hours (now 01:20). They are not home (not sure where they go to so late as nothing is open) so unable to do anything about it.until tomorrow when I file yet another report (the fourth now) with management. 

Ugh, going to be a rough Monday.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,114
    kyoto kid said:

...next door tenant's dog is barking howling and yelping again making it hard to get to sleep. Been going on for the last two and a half hours (now 01:20). They are not home (not sure where they go to so late as nothing is open) so unable to do anything about it.until tomorrow when I file yet another report (the fourth now) with management. 

Isn't there an Animal Control officer or dog warden you can 'phone to get them to come out, especially at that time of night?

...I just called (02:15) the security service contracted to this property (the second time I've contacted them) and they are sending someone by.  As the owners are not home, about all they can do is verify the situation, record and report the incident. This has been going on for several months now.

It will quiet down for a bit, then start up again just about when I am finally nodding off.so I've just given up trying to sleep.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    kyoto kid said:

...I just called (02:15) the security service contracted to this property (the second time I've contacted them) and they are sending someone by.  As the owners are not home, about all they can do is verify the situation, record and report the incident. This has been going on for several months now.

It will quiet down for a bit, then start up again just about when I am finally nodding off.so I've just given up trying to sleep.

Your area doesn't have a noise ordinance? We have a 10:00PM noise ordinance...anything loud after that can have the cops called. 

However, a dog barking like crazy even during the day can result in cops being called due to the possiblity of animal cruelty and/or neglect. (CT has harsh, and quite deserved, animal cruelty laws)

kyoto kid said:

crying

kyoto kid said:

Your area doesn't have a noise ordinance? We have a 10:00PM noise ordinance...anything loud after that can have the cops called. 

However, a dog barking like crazy even during the day can result in cops being called due to the possiblity of animal cruelty and/or neglect. (CT has harsh, and quite deserved, animal cruelty laws)

Agreed!  

Kid, can you stand having a fan running to create white noise and then double the noise cancellation with some ear plugs?  

• ReneWReneW Posts: 147
    kyoto kid said:

Hopefully, the security service will report it to Animal Control.  It sounds like a case of animal neglect.  I feel so bad for the poor dog.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,392
    ReneW said:
    kyoto kid said:

Hopefully, the security service will report it to Animal Control.  It sounds like a case of animal neglect.  I feel so bad for the poor dog.

Honestly you have absolutly no idea about the circumstances, they may well be key workers working nights doing extra hours etc, perhaps if someone actually offered to help rather than just reporting them to all and any authorities they can think of.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,740
    scorpio said:
    ReneW said:
    kyoto kid said:

Honestly you have absolutly no idea about the circumstances, they may well be key workers working nights doing extra hours etc, perhaps if someone actually offered to help rather than just reporting them to all and any authorities they can think of.

Help how? Purchase a muzzle for them? I agree that making an effort to let them know their animals are a nuisance first before calling anyone else would be a good step, but beyond that they need to be a responsible pet owner and part of that is handling how your pets impact other prople, especially neighhbors regardless of circumstances

Funny, my downstairs neighbor that likes to walk outside his apt and speak for hours on his cell on speaker was at it again yesterday despite my complaints to him and the management. So i went to the store and bought a cheap pair of headphones (earbuds) and gave them to him with the warning "use them or else!" Should have seen his face, LOL Now I don't feel bad if I have to call the cops on him, I gave him a choice (like he didn't have one before)

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,846

My apartment bedroom and living room faces my neighbors' house across from me with a back yard with 2 spoiled brat screeching young children who cry hysterically "I'm boooooored waaaaahhh! I'm soooooo boooooooored waaahhh!" Both parents are there, there's tons of toys, a nice yard with a picnic table and fire pit, lots of pretty greenery, and they often have little (loud) family parties out there. I see they have a huge screen TV inside, a really nice kitchen, the children are not lacking anything except good parenting. It drives me crazy. I'm an only child and was never bored at that age and very self entertaining and they even have another child to play with. So annoying.