How are you greeting the end of the world?

Comments

• we call it mince in Australia 

Due to so many folks on this forum being from the colonies I used the way americans seem to call it. Or at least what the translator tool offered me as american ;)
    I know it's minced meat (or beef) in the british homelands, which makes a lot more sense.

Anybody take notice that there's a difference between beef patties and cow patties though ^^

When it first came to the US, it was referred to as Hamburg steak before World War 1 but changed to Hamburger later.  When I was little (we're talking 1960's here) I remember the local butcher counter at the grocery store my mom shopped at refer to it as hamburger meat or if it came from a specific cut of meat refering to it as ground insert meat cut here.  Examples are ground round, ground chuck, ground sirloin, etc...  Now it seems that everything is referred tio as ground beef and then they give a fat percentage so you you are not sure where the meat cut came from.

If you have ever worked on a ranch, you will learn the difference between a beef patty and a cow patty real quick.  You will also learn to stuff your pants legs inside your boots.

My grandparrents had a 500+ acre ranch/farm and before my grandfather retired at 94 (after being hit by lightening and surviving), He always had a few feed lot calves that were raised for meat.  Beautifully marbled grain fed (all oats) beef.  My grandfather grew all of his own oats ,alfalfa, and hay to feed the livestock.  Also grew maize to feed my granny's chickens.  I watched my granny break out her hand operated meat grinder to grind up meat for hamburgers and home made chili on many occasions when I was growing up.  Good times. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,098

In the western United States, I have offered various levels of fat content of ground beef (the higher fat is the better tasting), ground turkey, ground chicken, ground pork, and ground Bison. For a hamburger, I walk across the street to the Bull & Bush Pub and order my dinner to go. Sweet little gods, I can't wait for them to open up again. Excellent food. They brew their own ale as well. 

• ...OK, so maybe it's proper name is "ground beef" but in this part of the world it's "hamburg".  And yes, I've actually been to Hamburg.  Back in the late '90s we rode the train from Amsterdam to Hamburg...

Just to pick a nit: isn't it called "Hamburger"? And that "part of the world" might be a wee bit smaller than you think, 'cause if you're dutch - like that "from Amsterdam..." above implies - it probably is only a couple kilometers before people start calling ground beef "ground beef" (or in german "Hackfleisch") again... Here in germany a hamburger is only called so, when it comes as a hamburger patty, ready to be put on the grill, or as THE hamburger - patty on a bun with extras.

"And don't get me started on why it has the base word of "ham" in it.  I lay awake nights worrying about that.  It's ruined my life. devil".  

Because it originalted in Hamburg Germany?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_hamburger

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,484

...OK, so maybe it's proper name is "ground beef" but in this part of the world it's "hamburg".  And yes, I've actually been to Hamburg.  Back in the late '90s we rode the train from Amsterdam to Hamburg...

Just to pick a nit: isn't it called "Hamburger"? And that "part of the world" might be a wee bit smaller than you think, 'cause if you're dutch - like that "from Amsterdam..." above implies - it probably is only a couple kilometers before people start calling ground beef "ground beef" (or in german "Hackfleisch") again... Here in germany a hamburger is only called so, when it comes as a hamburger patty, ready to be put on the grill, or as THE hamburger - patty on a bun with extras.

"And don't get me started on why it has the base word of "ham" in it.  I lay awake nights worrying about that.  It's ruined my life. devil".  

Because it originalted in Hamburg Germany?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_hamburger

All those years needlessly ruined, where was Google when I needed it 60 years ago? crying

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Baa Ram Ewe, Baa Ram Ewe  smiley

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,157
    edited May 2020

I have one of those hand mincers somewhere among my crap

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,934
    edited May 2020

...OK, so maybe it's proper name is "ground beef" but in this part of the world it's "hamburg".  And yes, I've actually been to Hamburg.  Back in the late '90s we rode the train from Amsterdam to Hamburg...

You can eat your homburg on that.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,594

I have one of those hand mincers somewhere among my crap

We have too. It was a wedding present for my MIL in the late 1950'S. She had such a snit with it she gave it, unused, as a joke wedding present. We use it once or twice a decade.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,049

Level Six is flying sharks with lasers on their heads...

I'm not afraid of no murder hornets... 

We have these things around here...

Not as big as a Murder Hornet, but these guys eat cicadas and are actually not very aggressive... I know, I've gone out of my way trying to capture one and all they do is fly off after making a rude wasp gesture... This one I found dead (I swear) in my workshop.
    So like everything I find on the floor in my shop, I put it into a small plastic container until I find what it fell off of or I find something interesting to use it for.

Several months later I came across the container and found that the larve of something (probably another wasp) had erupted from within the wasp's abdomen.

The dead wasp which I figured had just died from natural causes or smoking too much, that didn't disturb me at all, but the tiny horror show in the container was a bit macabre.

I figure if something can manage to lay it's eggs in one of these wasps, the bigger ones might make fer' better eatin'.

Also... those Japanese hornets were found in Washington state... I've got plenty of time till they get here.

McGyver said:

Not as big as a Murder Hornet, but these guys eat cicadas and are actually not very aggressive... I know, I've gone out of my way trying to capture one and all they do is fly off after making a rude wasp gesture... This one I found dead (I swear) in my workshop.
    So like everything I find on the floor in my shop, I put it into a small plastic container until I find what it fell off of or I find something interesting to use it for.

Several months later I came across the container and found that the larve of something (probably another wasp) had erupted from within the wasp's abdomen.

The dead wasp which I figured had just died from natural causes or smoking too much, that didn't disturb me at all, but the tiny horror show in the container was a bit macabre.

I figure if something can manage to lay it's eggs in one of these wasps, the bigger ones might make fer' better eatin'.

Also... those Japanese hornets were found in Washington state... I've got plenty of time till they get here.

Especially since they'd have a hard time getting a ticket for an airplane.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    McGyver said:

Nope. 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,049

They can also double as friends to keep you company while in isolation.

• ZateticZatetic Posts: 286

Hollywood Struggling with Impact of Pandemic

.... and as a mamal with big lungs, King Kong required extra protection during the filming of his next movie with Godzilla. Godzilla being immune to the virus seems to find the whole situation rather amusing.

GvsKK2020.png
    1200 x 960 - 3M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 41,012
    edited May 2020

...well a "Hamburger" is also a resident of Hamburg (In Germany what we call a "hamburger" here is sometimes referred to Rindfleischburger ["beef burger"]).

"This part of the world" refers to where I am in western NY State.  We go to the store to buy a pound of "hamburg", not hamburger.  A hamburger is the finished object complete with buns and garnish.  And don't get me started on why it has the base word of "ham" in it.  I lay awake nights worrying about that.  It's ruined my life. devil

Edited to add:  No, I lie.  The cooked hamburg patty is also called a "hamburger" here.  eg: "The barbeque grill was covered with sizzling hamburgers."  NOBODY here says "patty".  

...had a friend named Patty when I was in college who would have vehemently protested being put on the grill. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited May 2020

McGyver said:

Especially since they'd have a hard time getting a ticket for an airplane.

...if these critters likely survived a week or more journey on a freighter ship, a cross country truck or boxcar of about four to five days would be nothing..

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,208
    RAMWolff said:
    kyoto kid said:

....yeah they have first appeared just to the north In Washington State so only a matter of time before we see them here in Oregon.

Speaking of fires. we had our first fire danger alert of the year in early April.  Doesn't bode well for us here either as we are going into a rather rather warm and dry stretch with only occasional showers now and then instead of soaking rains. Sort of a pattern we'd see a month from now.

I'm beginning to think that Mother Nature does not like us very much on this side of the contenent but then again we don't have hurricanes or tropical storms ripping up everything.  Life is just dangerous right now!  

Many years ago I read a SciFi story or book, I think entitled "The End of the Dream".  Where mother nature rebelled in all her fury with multiple disasters.  The end being waves and waves of trillions of carniverous worms crawling out of the bottom of the oceans all over the world where they had been living on the accumulated garbage and evolved into eating flesh and ate all the other bottom dwelling life in the sea then turned to the land.  The worms were unstoppable and eventually ate everybody.surprise  Or at least, that's how I remember it from 50 years ago.

I'll never look at a worm the same way again!  LOL EWWWWWWWWWWW 

edited May 2020

I look at your beef patties (which conjures up cow pats in my mind) and give you rissoles kiss

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

LOL  Again Ewwwwwwwwwwwww 

RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:
    kyoto kid said:

....yeah they have first appeared just to the north In Washington State so only a matter of time before we see them here in Oregon.

Speaking of fires. we had our first fire danger alert of the year in early April.  Doesn't bode well for us here either as we are going into a rather rather warm and dry stretch with only occasional showers now and then instead of soaking rains. Sort of a pattern we'd see a month from now.

I'm beginning to think that Mother Nature does not like us very much on this side of the contenent but then again we don't have hurricanes or tropical storms ripping up everything.  Life is just dangerous right now!  

Many years ago I read a SciFi story or book, I think entitled "The End of the Dream".  Where mother nature rebelled in all her fury with multiple disasters.  The end being waves and waves of trillions of carniverous worms crawling out of the bottom of the oceans all over the world where they had been living on the accumulated garbage and evolved into eating flesh and ate all the other bottom dwelling life in the sea then turned to the land.  The worms were unstoppable and eventually ate everybody.surprise  Or at least, that's how I remember it from 50 years ago.

Ah ha, FOUND IT.  https://www.amazon.com/End-Dream-Beyond-Armageddon/dp/0803245432  Unfortunately I've given the spoiler, but the title sort of gives it away anyway.   Google, what a wonderful remedy for old people's fading memories.

Gracias.  I'll have to think about it.  I love horror but Sci Fi horror can freak me out a bit.  LOL  I've put in my wish list for later! 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,357

I look at your beef patties (which conjures up cow pats in my mind) and give you rissoles kiss

Durham cutlets.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,110

Forget about the Murder Hornets!

Image may contain: possible text that says 'BREAKING NEWS MURDER DEATH KILL BUNNIES FROM ASIA SEEN SWIMMING TOWARDS THE STATES bring forth the holy handgrenade.'

The question is:  who will come ashore first, Godzilla or the Death Bunnies??

edited May 2020

...hmm I am still concerned about: 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,152
    edited May 2020
    Greymom said:

Forget about the Murder Hornets!

The question is:  who will come ashore first, Godzilla or the Death Bunnies??

Today is Ishiro Honda's birthday, may he RIP.  He directed Godzilla and the original franchise movies.  In his honor, I predict Godzilla before death bunnies.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0393094/

ishiro and godzilla.jpg
    671 x 563 - 109K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,740
    kyoto kid said:

Hply crap, that is just freaky!

Yeah, heard about the murder hornets the other day, really scary stuff!

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,143
    RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:
    kyoto kid said:

Ah ha, FOUND IT.  https://www.amazon.com/End-Dream-Beyond-Armageddon/dp/0803245432  Unfortunately I've given the spoiler, but the title sort of gives it away anyway.   Google, what a wonderful remedy for old people's fading memories.

I thought that was the one you were thinking of. This is the other one with a similar theme: The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,846
    edited May 2020

kyoto kid said:

Have you heard the way koalas sound??? https://youtu.be/sqPYjjJyyXE

<iframe width="560" height="315" src=" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How do you correctly embed a YouTube video?

Post edited by Wonderland on

I click source before pasting 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,934
    edited May 2020

How do you correctly embed a YouTube video?

Just paste the link into the editor.  If the link is underlined after pasting, right click on it and select "Unlink", then it should work

Post edited by Taoz on