How are you greeting the end of the world?

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 41,012
    edited May 2020

...Wisconsin opened up entirely, with no distancing precautions or mask orders.  Taverns there were crowded with patrons shoulder to shoulder on Wednesday night.

There is very well founded concern by some that the situation there is going to get much worse.  I;d say more but then I'd' risk straying intro "no-no land".

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,934
    edited May 2020

kyoto kid said:

...Wisconsin opened up entirely, with no distancing precautions or mask orders.  Taverns there were crowded with patrons shoulder to shoulder on Wednesday night.

There is very well founded concern by some that the situation there is going to get much worse.  I;'d say more but then I'd' risk straying intro "no-no land".

They have opened up quite a bit here but numbers are still going down, more than expected, so they are going to open up even more now, and safe distance has been reduced to 1 meter.   Hardly anyone except health care workers have been using masks or gloves here at any point.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

maybe its a wrath of you know who thing? 

Voldemort

• lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 642

NZ went into level two yesterday, pretty much everything is open except bars and nightclubs, with physical distancing and limited numbers allowed, one in one out policing. Schools are opening next Monday but with no way of distancing on the school buses I think a lot of parents will choose not to sent their kids. Long distance buses are still not running, the companies don't want to run at a loss with distancing requiring near empty buses. Flights have started from some domestic airports, people can now travel to other regions. Went to Kerikeri yesterday, Easter chocolate was practically being given away in the Warehouse, I bought a charging cable for my phone, yay!

I lit my fire beginning of last week with no plan to turn it off till September, boat is dry and cosy and I'm running around in a teeshirt. It's been an early start to the winter unlike last year and we are hoping this will mean a nice spring, again not like last year. The sun is shining and my batteries are full so time to play :)

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,098

Yet, one person positive with Covid in a nightclub in Seoul, and I lost count how many people I last heard the authorities are trying to track down he had contact with. 
    I watch the images of bars and resturants with no masks, crowded and my skin crawls. I keep thinking I am seeing the walking dead, and the unknown friends and families they will come in contact with before they go into hospital. And the extra work for the medical staffs, who don't need the business.

We need to be smart and prepare for the fall and the Flu Season and get supplies stocked up and let the medics have a break before that.
    Americans are better than this. 

edited May 2020
    Taoz said:

kyoto kid said:

There is very well founded concern by some that the situation there is going to get much worse.  I'd say more but then I'd' risk straying intro "no-no land".

They have opened up quite a bit here but numbers are still going down, more than expected, so they are going to open up even more now, and safe distance has been reduced to 1 meter.   Hardly anyone except health care workers have been using masks or gloves here at any point.

...Wisconsin literally went back to "business as usual" with no gradual or systematic "phase in" like other places have been doing. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,846
    edited May 2020

The future of dating lol.(Photo from Italy.) 

5167B9EC-E651-483F-B83A-76114963EA3A.jpeg
    1392 x 929 - 1M
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,721

Why is his mask not covering his nose?? That's like wearing a condom, but cutting the tip off! 

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,143

Why is his mask not covering his nose?? That's like wearing a condom, but cutting the tip off! 

Because a great number of people are wearing a mask because they have to, and don't care if they're wearing it properly or not. I'm more curious about how they intend to eat with a mask on ...

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,019
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:

kyoto kid said:

There is very well founded concern by some that the situation there is going to get much worse.  I'd say more but then I'd' risk straying intro "no-no land".

...Wisconsin literally went back to "business as usual" with no gradual or systematic "phase in" like other places have been doing. 

The drop you see now is reflecting what happened around 7-14 days back. You'll see the results of opening up in about a week.

So I'm not really surprised at dropping numbers at the moment.

...that's what I expect to happen as it usually takes about 2 weeks for symptoms to become evident. Look at that situation in Seoul where over 100 infections have been traced to a single person who was out nightclubbing. after the country started opening things back up (clubs and bars were immediately shut down again)  I think about those scenes where people in Wisconsin taverns are treating everything as being "normal" again sitting shoulder to shoulder at the bar, standing close together in groups many wearing no masks.  After the in-person election there last month, there was a spike in cases and precautions were still being taken then.

Another factor I fear is with Wisconsin totally "open" people from neighbouring states where the situation is worse (particularly Illinois and Michigan) may head to Wisconsin for a little taste of the "freedom" there and really bugger the whole situation up . 

I also saw a story on the news tonight that indicates tests can be very fickle in that asymptomatic patients can test negative (sometimes a couple times) and then a day or so into the first onset of symptoms, a positive result occurs.  This thing is a nasty, adaptive, and elusive beast and some in the medical field still aren't sure of exactly what they are up against as there seems to be no single cut and dry model.   Time will tell.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,823
    According to my daily updates from "WebMD" California has accepted the reality that they will remain closed for the summer.

I get it...we have a consumption/service based economy

It can not function if the Consumers are effectively under "house arrest"

However I am not going back to "business as usual" until there is a proven vaccine and I have received it.

My good health is too important me.
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,740

Many of my friends keep complaining they're bored. Weird, I'm not bored at all! In fact days seem to be moving super fast for me. I wake up, next thing I know it's 1pm, then 7pm, then Daz midnight lol (11pm). I feel like time is on fast forward and I don't even have time to do what I planned!

I dream a lot about being social and having fun though, until mid-dream, I panic and realize I'm not social distancing and could catch the virus. Last night I dreamt I was about to kiss a really amazing guy, then realized I could catch the virus and quickly backed away. The ONE place where it's totally safe to fraternize is in dreams, and I can't even do that! frown

Anyone else having Coronavirus inspired dreams? 

yeah, but mine are work related, like unprotected customers coughing on my employees or myself, oh wait, that is reality, my bad. I went to get some tires the other day and the shop had the glass in front of the desk and the tape on the floor 6 ft apart. As I stood there, a guy comes in with no mask or gloves and stands right next to me. I went off on his stupid butt, yelling at him to "take his unprotected infected a** over to that mark on the floor!" which he did while everyone else stared at him for being a moron.

kyoto kid said:

There is very well founded concern by some that the situation there is going to get much worse.  I;d say more but then I'd' risk straying intro "no-no land".

Yeah, saw that stupidity on the news. glad I don't live in Wisconsin. It stresses me out to no end to have to work with the public daily and see the stupid things they do in the stores and on the street.

wolf359 said:
    According to my daily updates from "WebMD" California has accepted the reality that they will remain closed for the summer.

However I am not going back to "business as usual" until there is a proven vaccine and I have received it.

Agreed, same here. I get that people want/need to get back to work, but I refuse to support any business that is not taking this pandemic seriously.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,098

When I saw the images from that bar/resturant it angered me so much and also made me sad. My favorite place to get food to go, the pub across the street from my apartment complex has been closed since all bars & resturants were ordered to. They have not been doing take out either. That was our dinner treat splurge. But, how will they be able to re-open before a way is created for everyone to be safe to be close? It is simply too windy and cold for a large part of the year for outside eating. They have a patio, but it was closed in years before we moved here, with windows and a roof. I hope they can figure something out to safely open when the state has guidance and the first two weeks of partial opening is past and we see if there is an increase of cases. Colorado is using science to manage this opening. Regardless of the idiots in Castle Rock. 

We have lost 1000 people now. Colorado is having a memorial service at 7pm MST tonight to remember the lives lost, the families hurt, the communities damaged by the loss of these precious people.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    kyoto kid said:

...can I get a refund?  The ride.made me very nauseous. 

For a while, a decade or three ago, while assuaging my middle-age crisis, with gym memberships, big motorcycles, wild orgys, and untethered spending, my philosophy and signature line was "Middle-age realization: Life is like a ride on a rollercoaster.  And once you're over the top, if you're not screaming on the way down you've wasted your ticket."

You only go around once in life, so you gotta grab all the DISGUSTO you can! cheeky

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

People in big cities are really at risk.  Living out here in a remote part of NY State I haven't heard of anybody I know getting it much less dying of it, yet.(Knock on wood)  But neither have I heard of anybody getting mugged or in an automobile accident which happens a lot.  So, just because I don't witness it, doesn't mean it isn't happening.  Some people are too eager to forget that.  All it takes is one misstep or unlucky encounter.  Stay prudent.

A barber in upstate NY who was defying stay at home orders to cut hair in his shop has contracted the virus...

kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:

kyoto kid said:

pack me on a amtrak train to wisconsin, ise a going to a pub.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,485

People in big cities are really at risk.  Living out here in a remote part of NY State I haven't heard of anybody I know getting it much less dying of it, yet.(Knock on wood)  But neither have I heard of anybody getting mugged or in an automobile accident which happens a lot.  So, just because I don't witness it, doesn't mean it isn't happening.  Some people are too eager to forget that.  All it takes is one misstep or unlucky encounter.  Stay prudent.

A barber in upstate NY who was defying stay at home orders to cut hair in his shop has contracted the virus...  

Yet another Darwin Award contender.indecision

I've had roommates from Michigan and Wisconsin.  Wild characters they were.  The more I came to know them, the deeper the wild went.  What is it about that part of the country that grows them that way?  I sometimes think it's a rampant case of machoism.  Perhaps it's the Viking heritage?  Berzerker ancestors? surprise

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,686

The bar is the only business that has closed in my town. Probably had no choice in the matter, gov't probably threatened to revoke liquor license or something. The stupid bar is always open, even when there is a blizzard out. I live next to the bar, the quiet nights been nice haha.  

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,934

Well unless you're in the risk group the risk of dying is pretty small, and when you get well again you're probably immune (no more worries).  The first ones they opened up for here (two weeks ago I think) were young kids in kindergartens and schools, for they don't seem to be affected much if they get infected, and so far no horror stories.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    Taoz said:

Well unless you're in the risk group the risk of dying is pretty small, and when you get well again you're probably immune (no more worries).  The first ones they opened up for here (two weeks ago I think) were young kids in kindergartens and schools, for they don't seem to be affected much if they get infected, and so far no horror stories.

Except that people *not* in any risk groups are dying. So really, you're running the gauntlet if you get it, no matter who you are. 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    Taoz said:

Except that people *not* in any risk groups are dying. So really, you're running the gauntlet if you get it, no matter who you are. 

There are several complicating issues:

1) we don't know if people who get sick and recover are immune and for how long

2) we don't know if people who get sick and recover are still contagious and can infect others

3) kids generally live with other people, and may not be as careful about practicing good hygiene like frequent hand washing, so even if they are less likely to become seriously ill (and we don't really know how much "less" means), they're probably more likely to transfer the virus from one family to another.  Kids could be living in the same house as their grandparents or other people who have higher risk

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,740
    Taoz said:

Agreed, all age groups are being affected, better to try and prevent getting it instead of sticking your head in the sand and acting like you are king of the world and nothing can affect you. The issues children in NY are now having is terrible.

https://elemental.medium.com/its-not-just-sick-old-people-who-die-from-covid-19-bc9251989bc8

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited May 2020
    Taoz said:

Agreed, all age groups are being affected, better to try and prevent getting it instead of sticking your head in the sand and acting like you are king of the world and nothing can affect you. The issues children in NY are now having is terrible.

https://elemental.medium.com/its-not-just-sick-old-people-who-die-from-covid-19-bc9251989bc8

Not to mention that even if you catch it and are fine, you can still give it to someone who might not be. I care more about other people's health than my own comfort.

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,731
    edited May 2020
    Taoz said:

However, it now seems children are at greater risk than has been previously identified. So far over a hundred have gotten sick, and at least 5 deaths in children with symptoms similar to Kawasaki Syndrome. Many of those that have this were evidently asymptomatic with Covid-19, they have all tested positive for Covid-19 antibodies. It's apparently a post "recovery" illness. A disturbing side effect, even for those that don't experience life threatening conditions, is heart and/or circulatory system damage. One of our sons got Kawasaki when he was 2 (was just identified a year or so earlier, we couldn't identify how he got it), at 39 he still lives with symptoms, though they have gotten milder with age, and has heart issues as well. Unfortunately, it looks like this is an illness that may just keep giving to some of those who get it for years to come. I know If I had any school aged children, I would treat them as very high risk.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/investigations/kawasaki-disease-up-to-5-ny-children-dead-85-sickened-by-rare-covid-related-illness/2411571/

Post edited by DustRider on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,846
    wolf359 said:

No, California is slowly opening up. Beaches are open but you can't sit or lie down, but can walk and swim. Parks and hiking trails are opening but with limitations. Stores are opening with curbside pick up. Today saw a Starbucks where you order from outside and they bring the coffee outside to a table and you pay there. Different counties opening different things depending on how many cases there. Tennis and golf courses (who cares!) opening up. Tons of new protocols for businesses to follow before they can open up.

But I'm in LA which will be the last to open up completely and it looks like my previous social life will be gone for a looong time which consisted of indoor events like art gallery receptions, movie screenings with receptions, dating, conventions, and a wide variety of receptions and parties. People are already having secret house parties but I don't think I'll feel comfortable going for a really long time and when I do, I'll wear a mask, be afraid to eat the food, and just lift my mask long enough to take a quick sip of alcoholic beverages lol. I keep having dreams that I'm at some fun event and suddenly realize that I'm too close to people and no one is wearing a mask. I can't even have fun in my dreams anymore! 

wolf359 said:

No, California is slowly opening up. Beaches are open but you can't sit or lie down, but can walk and swim. Parks and hiking trails are opening but with limitations. Stores are opening with curbside pick up. Today saw a Starbucks where you order from outside and they bring the coffee outside to a table and you pay there. Different counties opening different things depending on how many cases there. Tennis and golf courses (who cares!) opening up. Tons of new protocols for businesses to follow before they can open up.

But I'm in LA which will be the last to open up completely and it looks like my previous social life will be gone for a looong time which consisted of indoor events like art gallery receptions, movie screenings with receptions, dating, conventions, and a wide variety of receptions and parties. People are already having secret house parties but I don't think I'll feel comfortable going for a really long time and when I do, I'll wear a mask, be afraid to eat the food, and just lift my mask long enough to take a quick sip of alcoholic beverages lol. I keep having dreams that I'm at some fun event and suddenly realize that I'm too close to people and no one is wearing a mask. I can't even have fun in my dreams anymore! 

Well, at least in LA you could stay indoors and enjoy good TV reception. devil  for additional entertainment you could toss some spaghetti onto the walls and call it art.  Join a political party.  Dig into a box of raisins, and drink the Kool-Aid.surprise

I've had roommates from Michigan and Wisconsin.  Wild characters they were.  The more I came to know them, the deeper the wild went.  What is it about that part of the country that grows them that way?  I sometimes think it's a rampant case of machoism.  Perhaps it's the Viking heritage?  Berzerker ancestors? surprise

anthem, motley crue wild side?smiley

got me to thinkin how i wanna kick

sitting in my command chair, xbox controller in hand, witcher3 on my monutor
    either on a level up hurrah screen, or ko'd  screen after boss battle screen, or gwent winner  would be awesomist way to go smiley