How are you greeting the end of the world?

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

That mushroom picture is pretty cool!

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,098

Loved all the pictures.

I just see the stairwell across from me, empty apartments, no one running up and down anymore.

Some balconies do have people trying to work from home, smoke and live on them. 

Saturday, Bugsy and I took an early morning walk along the Cherry Creek Trail and saw the early wild flowers, amid the bird song, and were watched by squirrels as the sun rose in the east.

As I go about Memorial Day, I not only think about those who have died in the past few months, but especially those who were on the front lines of the fight against Covid-19 trying to save lives, to help feed, care, and protect their fellow citizens around the world. They have joined those in the military who died during battle, or later from their wounds.

God Bless America and the World that we share with our fellows all around it.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,485
    edited May 2020

Greeting the end of the world today:  The view out of my window hasn't changed much since yesterday, but it is a lot warmer today.  70F(21C) at 7:30AM.  I'm, as usual, sitting in my computer cubicle at home having breakfast and catching up on email, news and forums, and listening to the local radio station.  Just now they brightened my day a bit by playing the "Overture to Candide" by Leonard Bernstein.  Here is a YouTube clip of Bernstein conducting his own work.  Enjoy.smiley

Leonard Bernstein: "Overture to Candide" 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,934

Just read that the virus may stay alive for up to two years in the freezer.  Haven't heard much talk about that, but you can imagine the consequences, so it's probably better not to store anything in the freezer right now.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,049

Two years?... That's nothing... according to the documentary movie "Encino Man", a frozen caveman can last at least 11,000 years... So technically if you had a refrigerator big enough and refroze Brendan Fraser for another couple thousand years he'd be just fine.

There is stuff in my basement freezer that is probably way more scary and deadly than Covid that's been in there for years... we have a strict policy that in a blackout or power loss to NEVER open that freezer until power is restored... last time whatever it is nearly clawed it's way out before I got the generator hooked up... 

Sometimes you have no other option but to keep something frozen.

edited May 2020

Oh, great.  So, do we now need StarTrek bio-scanners to identify dormant virus burgers waiting for us at the local burger joint?surprise  Although, I would hope that a thorough frying would take care of the buggers.indecision  I guess that means that frozen sushi is off the menu too? devil  I think I'm going to invest in UV sterilization companies.  Change the bulbs in your local tanning bed salon to UV-C and you too can start another cottage industry,  just don't get the tanning and sterilization beds mixed up or your customers will become crispy critters.no

Found this:

"SARS was inactivated at a temperature of 56 C (133 F) after 15 minutes. There’s some indication that this virus is a little bit more robust, so possibly a little higher temp to get the same effect."

"There was some research done on its sister virus, SARS-CoV-1, the virus which causes SARS. That virus was stable at 37°C, but was inactivated by 30 minutes of exposure to 56°C according to several studies."

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-temperature-required-to-kill-Covid-19?share=1

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,143

I can only conclude, after looking at some of the photos of the weekend activities, that Pogo was right.

edited May 2020
    namffuak said:

I can only conclude, after looking at some of the photos of the weekend activities, that Pogo was right.

I remember Pogo fron the Sunday comics, but I don't remember what Pogo said. sad  I'm sure it was something wise. Or hiddenly obvious.

namffuak said:

I remember Pogo fron the Sunday comics, but I don't remember what Pogo said. sad  I'm sure it was something wise. Or hiddenly obvious.

"We have met the enemy and he is us."

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited May 2020
    Taoz said:

Found this:

"SARS was inactivated at a temperature of 56 C (133 F) after 15 minutes. There’s some indication that this virus is a little bit more robust, so possibly a little higher temp to get the same effect."

"There was some research done on its sister virus, SARS-CoV-1, the virus which causes SARS. That virus was stable at 37°C, but was inactivated by 30 minutes of exposure to 56°C according to several studies."

Except that it's killed rather easily with a little soap and water, and can't stand up to sunlight. That and there's no documented research that the virus is communicable via ingestion. (If that were the case, people would be getting sick from their food, especially now that takeout and delivery is much more prevalent.) 

I'd recommend sticking to valid sources of info, such as the CDC or anything Dr. Fauci says. Anything else is likely either politically-aligned or just fear-mongering.

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,781
    edited May 2020

I've lived like a hermit all my life. I suffer from extreme panic attacks. I'm always working on going into the outside world. I live in Senior Housing, and they often have gatherings, free meals, etc. for residents. This COVID-19 thing hit me hard in a way. I had moved from Maine to Minnesota to be closer to the family, six years ago. Family visits dwindled almost immediately due to my father's health concerns (he's 92). I had moved into the same building with my brother. He was relocated to a nursing home far away from where I currently live. I live around 30 miles from Minneapolis or St Paul, and my transportation options are limited.

I had my 70th birthday in March. Due to the pandemic, I celebrated alone. I do family genealogy and decided to celebrate my Irish heritage at a Free St Patrick's day meal in my building. That was cancelled. I was overdue for a haircut, and wanted a professional to do the job. Nope! After spending 6 years in MN, I wanted to get rid of my old, expired Maine State ID. Nope, can't do it. The nice thing is that I found it easy to order most of my non-perishable food from Amazon. Only go grocery shopping twice a month at worst.

All this feels even tougher, knowing I might never see my family again. My Dad's health has quickly been deteriorating in recent months or years.

Post edited by Ron Knights on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 41,012
    edited May 2020
    Taoz said:

Just read that the virus may stay alive for up to two years in the freezer.  Haven't heard much talk about that, but you can imagine the consequences, so it's probably better not to store anything in the freezer right now.

...but wouldn't the temperatures used in cooking and baking destroy the virus? 170°+ F usually does the trick and most foods are cooked or even reheated at much a higher temperature than that.  I tend to make large batches of items like pasta sauce, curry, burrito/taco filling & such then portion it out into containers that go in the freezer for later use as it is the more economical as well as reduced the number of trips to the market. On batch of curry lasts me three dinners, my homemade pasta sauce, four.  Nice when I can simply reheat, and just need to boil up some rice or noodles or warm up a few tortillas to soften them.

...and one little treat in life I enjoy is ice creme which doesn't fare very well when not kept in the freezer.. Those little single serving "boutique" brand containers can cost almost as much as a 1.5 quart carton of the store brand.

Taoz said:

Found this:

Except that it's killed rather easily with a little soap and water, and can't stand up to sunlight. That and there's no documented research that the virus is communicable via ingestion. (If that were the case, people would be getting sick from their food, especially now that takeout and delivery is much more prevalent.) 

I'd recommend sticking to valid sources of info, such as the CDC or anything Dr. Fauci says. Anything else is likely either politically-aligned or just fear-mongering.

...yes

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:

...but wouldn't the temperatures used in cooking and baking destroy the virus? 170°+ F usually does the trick and most foods are cooked or even reheated at much a higher temperature than that.

Sure, but not all frozen foods are being cooked.  I often eat raw frozen fruit like strawberries and blueberries without cooking it, I'm sure many others do the same.  If it's all over next year and people become careless again, a virus in some frozen food - on on the surface of the package - could start it all over again. 

...ah, I only get fresh fruit so that isn't an issue. 

Fortunately ice creme is produced in sterile conditions (with the creme already pasteurised before it is chilled) and packaged by machine (as well as sealed) before it gets to market.  Easy to wipe down the outside of the container before putting it in the freezer.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,208

Why wipe. Just spray it down with 85% alcohol?  I do that with most everything I bring home these days!  Fruits and veggies I do wash!  Soap and cool water!  DAMN I forgot celery!  Grrrrrrrrr 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,880
    RAMWolff said:

Why wipe. Just spray it down with 85% alcohol?  I do that with most everything I bring home these days!  Fruits and veggies I do wash!  Soap and cool water!  DAMN I forgot celery!  Grrrrrrrrr 

Where on earth are you getting alcohol? Literally every pharmacy or store I've seen is out of them, and has giant signs saying "Out of alcohol and peroxide".

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited May 2020
    vwrangler said:
    RAMWolff said:

Where on earth are you getting alcohol? Literally every pharmacy or store I've seen is out of them, and has giant signs saying "Out of alcohol and peroxide".

We're able to get rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer along with paper products and wipes on a regular basis here at our Wal-Mart. Stores are limiting quanities and if you shop first thing in the morning (we go at 8:30 on Mondays), we get everything we want. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
    edited May 2020

Interesting (to me) observation about paper goods in my local small town grocery store.  Lots of TP but all one brand, the expensive, high quality stuff that's soft on your tush and strong enough that you can use it as a hammock. i.e. the type not recommended for septic tanks because it doesn't break up quickly. frown  Everybody in town has a septic tank, there is no public sewer system.surprise  But I guess it's better than pine cones. (until the septic tank overflows).  Come to think of it, pine cones wouldn't be good for the septic tank either. indecision

edited May 2020
    RAMWolff said:

vwrangler said:
    RAMWolff said:

...same here. I was lucky to find a small bottle of 62% hand sanitiser that I can carry with me for something like 4$.

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,781

I bought two gallons of hand sanitzer last year. I still have most of it. I'm glad I got it when I did.

Interesting (to me) observation about paper goods in my local small town grocery store.  Lots of TP but all one brand, the expensive, high quality stuff that's soft on your tush and strong enough that you can use it as a hammock. i.e. the type not recommended for septic tanks because it doesn't break up quickly. frown  Everybody in town has a septic tank, there is no public sewer system.surprise  But I guess it's better than pine cones. (until the septic tank overflows).  Come to think of it, pine cones wouldn't be good for the septic tank either. indecision

Same issue here; I just have the tank pumped about every 6 years at $300 per, $50 a year is lower than what my mother used to pay for water & sewer use.

• vwrangler said:
    RAMWolff said:

Can you say "Everclear"?  Sure you can.  Works real good on apples and other fruit and no soapy residue.  And at 95% ethanol, it dries fairly fast.

...definitely an expensive substitute in comparison.  15.95$ a fifth (750 mL) here. 70% and even 90% Isopropyl usually goes for around 1.99$ - 2.39$ for a 946 mL bottle.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,721
    edited May 2020
    kyoto kid said:

...definitely an expensive substitute in comparison.  15.95$ a fifth (750 mL) here. 70% and even 90% Isopropyl usually goes for around 1.99$ - 2.39$ for a 946 mL bottle.

Yeah, but plus side, you can drink it after you clean your fruits and veggies.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
    edited May 2020

...when I lived in New Orleans I used to be a regular at Pat O'Brien's in the Vieux Carrie.  They were the best deal in the district with good prices and drinks that were not watered down. with whatever drink you bought you had the option to keep the glass (I have one shelf full yet).  However there was one drink they served only in a plastic cup (one of those 12 oz types you get at keg parties) which was called the "Pete's Special (not sure if they serve it anymore.  It had the following ingredients, a shot of Red Curacao a  jigger of vodka, a shot of Blue Curacao and a jigger of Everclear. (it layered red, white, & blue like the French flag).  Yeah that was one "high octane" drink alright.  A couple three of those and you wound up looking like this old chap...

edited May 2020
    kyoto kid said:

Hmmm, fruit flavored alcohol, now that's an idea that might catch on. (as he sits back and takes another sip of his apricot brandy)devil

Although I'm not so sure how celery vodka would go over.indecision

• kyoto kid said:

Hmmm, fruit flavored alcohol, now that's an idea that might catch on. (as he sits back and takes another sip of his apricot brandy)devil

Bloody Mary.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,114

You could spend the net year sampling Gins :)

https://www.theginkin.com/2019/05/21/best-flavoured-gin/

edited May 2020
    kyoto kid said:

Bloody Mary.

Bloody hell! I forgot about that.surpriseyes

Alright, how about asparagus vodka or carrot gin , or rutabaga schnapps?

edited to suggest additional enticing flavors