How to fix this thin black line that's visible when using Iray? (Freak 5)

KomodoVRKomodoVR Posts: 115

A thin black line is visible on the Genesis Freak 5 character when viewing and rendering it with Iray. This thin black line disappears when displacement is off (refer to the attached images).

What causes this thin black line to appear along the character's seams? Is there a way to fix this problem while using the Freak 5 displacement map? The thin black line does not appear if I apply a different character's skin material with displacement on, for example Michael 5.

In case it matters: I am using DAZ Studio Pro BETA Public Build Version 4.12.2.6. No doubt I am overlooking something simple.

Thanks in advance!

A thin black line 1

A thin black line 2

A_Thin_Black_Line_1.jpg
1080 x 1080 - 131K
A_Thin_Black_Line_2.jpg
1080 x 1080 - 98K
A_Thin_Black_Line_3.jpg
1080 x 1080 - 88K
A_Thin_Black_Line_4.jpg
1080 x 1080 - 104K
Post edited by KomodoVR on

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,436

The displacement minimum and maximum values are not the same for the various surfaces. Some are [-0.4, 0.4], others are [-0.8, 0.6]. Set them all to the same value and the lines go away...

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

Black lines aside, I'm struggling to see any real difference between the displacement on and off versions. Iray isn't great with displacement - you have to ramp up the subd level to get it to work at all - and if the end result looks so similar, why bother?

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,436

This one isn't Iray by default, so not really an issue. The displacement is used mainly for basic vascularity, in this case. That shot doesn't really show any, but it is in several areas, albeit subtly done. There is a family of vascularity add-ons to get those really poppin' veins.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102

Looks like the Torso map has more displacement than the other maps.

• KomodoVRKomodoVR Posts: 115

Thank you, very simple. Ensuring all the displacement values are the same corrects the problem. Is there a reason why the displacement values aren't all set to the same value out of the box, though? Every beginner who loads up Freak 5 is going to notice the thin black lines in Iray and then have to search the forum for a solution (hello to you).

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

You should file a ticket so they can fix it.

• KomodoVRKomodoVR Posts: 115
    edited May 2020
    TheKD said:

You should file a ticket so they can fix it.

Thank you for the suggestion, I have just now submitted a technical support ticket. Thank you to everyone who has helped and commented.

[Edited to correct a typo.]

Post edited by KomodoVR on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,868
    pm3d said:

Thank you, very simple. Ensuring all the displacement values are the same corrects the problem. Is there a reason why the displacement values aren't all set to the same value out of the box, though? Every beginner who loads up Freak 5 is going to notice the thin black lines in Iray and then have to search the forum for a solution.

It may be that 3Delight needed the displacement values to be different for some reason. 3Delight handles displacement much better and much differently than Iray, and Freak 5 predates Iray in Studio by quite a few years. Very few vendors, Daz itself included, go back to update old textures, especially for something like Freak 5, which is original Genesis and three generations ago. I don't think he was ever updated to have Iray presets.