Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,317
    wgdjohn said:

Looking more and more like the fellow can get along without a  bodygard. :)  Looked very good at first but now Looking better... a lot better.

Agreed. At first I was kind of happy with the fact that it looked like it would actually work - using V4 Male. I didn't really have any time to actualy tweak it. I've still not spent much time with it. So far everything just pretty much worked. There was some poke-through in the thighs, but since they're covered, I just use my invisible shader on them.

Other tweaks in the model room? Yeah... that's just fun! 

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

here is a comparison test between carrara (on the left) and iray (on the right) just to wiew the response and differences both in the lighting and the shaders; the render times are specular:

carrara: 10 mins for the village and 1 hour for the portrait

iray : vice versa; after 1 hour still a little noise on the windows

needless to say that it's very useful to have 2 powerful and versatile tools like carrara and daz studio to play with smiley

c1.jpg
    3000 x 1770 - 712K
    i1.jpg
    1850 x 1092 - 296K
    c2.jpg
    2000 x 2677 - 515K
    i2.jpg
    2000 x 2230 - 377K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

The results look very comparable in terms of lighting and shaders. I think the focal length on the Carrara portrait is shorter so you are getting a bit of distortion, but otherwise looks good (on the aspects that you are really looking at).  I think doing comparative renders like this can be a good learning tool, as you work to explain and correct for the differences.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,958

I've added some more Morphs++ to him making his eyes more the realistic Dart's eyes - and perhaps I'll now stylize them from here - perhaps leave them like this. But it's really cool how, when we see the eyes side-on, we see the refractive cornea bulge like real eyes! Now I have to tweak Rosie to have these, but with her colors. 

I had a lot of fun designing my own shaders for Brass, Polished Steel, Ruby, Leather, as well as the other parts of the eyes. The sparkles in them occur without performing anything special - just picking up the environment map and the lights for the rest of the scene.

coming along real good Dart :) he just needs smile lines ;)

I painted the goatee to better match mine (extending further along the jaw and under the chin) and reshaped the brows a bit. The skin map has that amount of saturation after being rendered using Gamma Correction of 2.2

I purposely avoided any post work to show the resulting color.

I did a bit of extra texture map work for the bump for the skin, facial and body hair.

The Pants are from Raiver for V4, the rest of the outfit is Courageous for V4 with my own shader textures. I reworked the shoulder armor mesh's shape and tweaked the harness a bit. Both of those sets include morph support for the Male morph as well as the others I'm using.

During the Render Challenge I discovered how totally awesome Feral Fey's "MiLady's Blade for Genesis 2 Females" sword is. Every separate shape of the thing has its own material zone, making it a total blast to set up what the thing looks like. I just added the ruby prior to these renders. That part was the brass surrounded by platinum before, and the handle was all rosewood, which looked really nice too. 

I'm still up-in-the-air about how I want the sword to look - but it might be there already. In the story it's a special blade, so it makes perfect sense to be brilliant and shiny.

Now as I continue to tweak this figure comes the all-important process of putting him through the hoops of animation tests - make sure he can pull his weight!

I like the speech morphs and added expression functionality a LOT! But if it doesn't work out, for some reason, I do really like my previous Dartan figure (M4). Just that some of the more common clothing looks a bit funny with the shoulders being so big - common to M4. I'm scouring my V4 clothing collection to see what works for males, and which have the Male morph support. I have "Miss Deanna Jones" already, which does support the morphs - so I'll be setting up that costume next.

Raiver for V4 has a really cool long coat which works really well with this Dart, along with the tank top and motocross-style boots and Goth accessories ;)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,958

here is a comparison test between carrara (on the left) and iray (on the right) just to wiew the response and differences both in the lighting and the shaders; the render times are specular:

carrara: 10 mins for the village and 1 hour for the portrait

iray : vice versa; after 1 hour still a little noise on the windows

needless to say that it's very useful to have 2 powerful and versatile tools like carrara and daz studio to play with smiley

all good renders, I'd be happy with any, the skin on the portrait looks pretty realistic

@ PhilW: you are right. as for the village there are subtle differences between lighting from the sky and bounces from the ground, easily tunable within GI settings, but shaded and lit surfaces are pretty much equally computed with gamma correction at 1.6; as for the portrait the camera I used is the one coming out importing the original duf scene, in carrara I had to increase the hdr intensity and put into the scene an area light to get a more dynamic result, normalized in post; gamma at 1.8 seems a good choice but it depends on the baked maps you have been using anyway I'm still working on it

@ head wax: thank you moreover the render time is acceptable too imo

@ DB: looking forward for your final outcome; he already looks very realistic yes

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited September 2016

Glad I've been keeping track of this tread. Tonight I added it to Shader Creating & Settings for Carrara - Q&A - Come One, Come All due to the Fantasik, OMG work that magaremoto has been doing and sharing with everyone.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

thank you John I appreciated a lot

a quick test on IL and light shafts here

Doc3.jpg
    1000 x 738 - 161K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Magremoto,. where is the building model from ?

I know the figures are from scanstore,. I have some stuff from there,. and I know i've seen that building before,. I just can't place it.

edited September 2016

Hi 3dAge, you can find the Crytek version of the sponza atrium here:

http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/cryengine3/downloads

I emphasized in ps the original maps to better understand reflections and shininess in carrara as the ones provided are low rez

Post edited by magaremoto on

thank you John I appreciated a lot

a quick test on IL and light shafts here

Looks fantastic!

fantastic effect filter indeed laugh

another try, added a bit of glare; the second image shows the scene without effects just to highlight the soft penumbra not easily achievable through iray (and each unbiased renderer as well); despite of the fact that many shaders need to be adjusted, the shading of the surfaces looks correct imo. no postwork

2.jpg
    1000 x 784 - 155K
    3.jpg
    1000 x 640 - 130K

Agreed ;)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Thanks magaremoto :)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited September 2016

Just sort of messing around creating some vaguely pulp feeling horror images in preparation for October. laugh

StairsIntoDarkness.jpg
    994 x 1400 - 58K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

Very cool! Nice render MDO!

magaremoto,  Nice render... I grabbed the "Crytek version of the sponza atrium" and will take a look at it later. Thanks.

MDO2010,  Nice render also... I do have a question... I don't understand the vertical dots/dashs... were they intentional?  I assume the character is a vampire but a hint of upper fangs would explain it better... please pardon my critique.

• wgdjohn said:

MDO2010,  Nice render also... I do have a question... I don't understand the vertical dots/dashs... were they intentional?  I assume the character is a vampire but a hint of upper fangs would explain it better... please pardon my critique.

LOL, well, that's a pretty good critique because it tells me I failed completely with this image.  laugh

The idea was that this guy is descending into a dark and scary place and has seen something that frightens him while the door he entered from is closing behind him.  So just about 100% the opposite of what you thought.  Guess I will have to go back to the drawing board on that one.

As for the verticle dots/slashes I am not sure what you mean?  I don't see any verticle lines at all in the image.

Boy did I interpret that wrong. I was thinking that the character was frantically trying to escape the incomming light and figured he must be a vampire.

The dashes/dots appear to be reflections. They start on the step above which he is standing... not noticable again but start again at the step at hip level and continue all the way to the top. The lowermost are dash like and start to look like dots above armpit height. What I think is happening is that the light is reflected off the tops of each step and increases in intensity as steps near the door. If I sit up and look straight on towards the screen, or lean forward they are more noticable. Perhaps it's my cheap flatscreen. To be sure I've even looked away from and back to the image... nope still there. Did notice I have some dusting/vacumning to do when I looked away. :)

• Ah - I see what you are talking about.  I think that is just light from the door at the top of the stairs catching raised parts on the steps.  It does kind of make a dotted line appearance.

Cool... I interpreted the image as thought by the artist? That's just odd! :)

In this case, however, I was spot-on!

Great render, MDO!

@ 3DAge and John: funny rendering with sponza and carrara + octane and luxrender

@Mdo2010: cool work, a chopper in his head and he is ready for halloween laugh

here an attempt to fake GI by using an emitting infinite plan and a ring light, the good is the render time, only few minutes, the bad is that I must adjust many original shaders

slight adjustments in post

hf.jpg
    1000 x 393 - 154K

Quite the 'thinking cap' moment there, Remo!

• I know that usually it's still renders here ...

Here is little test animation I did with help of PyCarrara.

Cheers smiley

Kick Ass Ankle!!! Fantastic, Fifth!!!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

Kick Ass Ankle!!! Fantastic, Fifth!!!

+ 1 yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,121

+2 yes

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

+5,000,000,000yes

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Here is little test animation I did with help of PyCarrara.

Cheers smiley

Very cool work on this!

• Thanks guys smiley

This discussion has been closed.