** Polygon Bloat In Daz & Tips For Slower Computers **

MoonCraft3DMoonCraft3D Posts: 379

So, I wanted to break down something I've seen. Polygon bloat on some of the Daz models I've been working with, and how this will cause computers to choke up. Not all 3D Daz models are alike, and some have much cleaner polygons and topography than others, all of which impacts render speed and a computer's ability to work within the scene. I've been doing a lot of work on this topic lately for a project I'm involved with and I decided to sit down and share my thoughts, and tips.

Polygon Bloat Inside Daz 3D & Tips For Slower Computers: https://mooncraftrp.com/index.php/2020/10/22/polygon-bloat-inside-daz-3d-tips-for-slower-computers/

tip_daz_studio_tutorial_free_polygon_adult_download.png
1197 x 1012 - 561K
daz_studio_tutorial_slow_computer_tips_3d_free.png
1323 x 1291 - 676K
Post edited by MoonCraft3D on

Comments

• I've gotten a huge reaction and a lot of feedback about this. As a result I am going to start going through and ranking some of the models on the market for their polygon bloat, and figuring out which models are kinder to slower computers.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,897

Very cool, thank you!

• I am hoping in the future we can see more artists embrace a clean topography approach to some of their content. You can have beautiful HD models and content and clean topography.

• Geometry is not anywhere near the primary issue unless people are turning SubD up to insane levels. Number of polygons has been going down quite steadily every generation. Texture size is a much bigger issue.

• Geometry is not anywhere near the primary issue unless people are turning SubD up to insane levels. Number of polygons has been going down quite steadily every generation. Texture size is a much bigger issue.

Well, yes. SubD is its own issue and topic to write about. That said, this is a beginner level topic, and most beginners are not using SubD.

Also, yup each gen is getting better - but the product models that are out are sometimes really high polygon in a way that looks like sloppy topography. Sometimes higher polygons are needed.

There is a difference between a need for higher polygons and sloppy topography.

Also, yup each gen is getting better - but the product models that are out are sometimes really high polygon in a way that looks like sloppy topography. Sometimes higher polygons are needed.

?

What are you even talking about?

?

If you do not understand what clean topology is, there are many resources dedicated to it as a topic you can easily find on google.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

Geometry is not anywhere near the primary issue unless people are turning SubD up to insane levels. Number of polygons has been going down quite steadily every generation. Texture size is a much bigger issue.

I notice that all this arguing against high polycount is phrased in a way to imply that all DAZ store product with a high polycount automatically fall under the "sloppy topography" category without even looking at the mesh and determining on whether that high polycount is actually needed to achieve what that particular items does.

?

If you do not understand what clean topology is, there are many resources dedicated to it as a topic you can easily find on google.

I know precisely what I'm talking about. I have literally no idea what the OP is talking about. Throwing around buzz words without using them in a way that shows understanding of them is a pet peeve of mine.

If poly count is going down then poly count cannot, by definition, also be too high.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@MoonCraft3D

I think you missed the point. If geometry isn't really an issues until SubD is turned up too far and most beginners aren't using SubD, then not the first issue for beginers. Evryone is subject to Textures sizes since most beginners are also not reducing textures sizes. Textures eat up the moset VRAM on GPUs, thus causing most lesser computers to fail to CPU for rendering or crash.These are very frequent complaints.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@MoonCraft3D

I think you missed the point. If geometry isn't really an issues until SubD is turned up too far and most beginners aren't using SubD, then not the first issue for beginers. Evryone is subject to Textures sizes since most beginners are also not reducing textures sizes. Textures eat up the moset VRAM on GPUs, thus causing most lesser computers to fail to CPU for rendering or crash.These are very frequent complaints.