(WIP) Displacing Terrain Shaders with Weather (ON HOLD FOR NOW)

Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,115
edited December 2020 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Hello, beautiful people! Just wanted to show you what I'm working on right now, in case you're interested. I'm about half done building a large collection of 4k (2k also) shaders, that depict highly realistic ground and terrain. They're so detailed, you'll be able to park your camera down near the ground, and shoot at a low angle without worrying about low resolution blurring and aritfacting ruining your shot. You'll get a bunch of different types of terrain, from ashphalt to dirt, to cobblestones to rocky, and each with a variety of weather conditions ranging from dry and dusty, to rain soaked and wet, to snowy and frozen. Use them to replace existing ground materials in your environments, or just slap down a plane primitive and make your own terrain. I guess you could also apply these to people and creatures, if you want to create weird, rocky, dirty people and creatures. I don't know, that's between you and your fevered imaginations...

Anyway, enough of my rambling nonsense, here's some example pictures to show you how it looks. These are just one shader applied to a plane primitive with one hundred divisions, tiled 3 x 3, and lit with an HDRI. Rendered nice and fast. No postwork at all. 

Low angle shots are no problem with these shaders, all the detail is preserved.

High angle detail shot, dry and dusty conditions.

The exact same terrain, after a good, long, rain.

The same terrain again, this time covered in snow.

Terrain Shaders EX1.png
1200 x 800 - 922K
Terrain Shaders EX2.png
1200 x 800 - 2M
Terrain Shaders EX3.png
1200 x 800 - 2M
Terrain Shaders EX4.png
1200 x 800 - 2M
Post edited by Those Things on

Comments

• ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

So, let me run down how the discovery of this thread went for me.

I came on the DAZ Forums to see what was new this morning. I come into the Commercial Products section, and right at the top I see a WIP about terrain shaders with WEATHER - OOOOOOOOOOOOOO, then as I'm about to click on it I happen to notice who created the thread. Remembering how much I love the last shader pack, and how detailed and amazing those were, my jaw drops, eyes widen, and I gasp enough that my coworker next to me looks over to see what happened. I can't explain it to him, cause he doesn't know what any of this is, so I just have to say it's something cool about computers and he goes back to what he's doing, as I continue to stare, wide-eyed and open mouthed.

So, given the awesome epicness of your previous shaders, seeing your name on a shader pack means I had mind-purchased this before I even opened the thread lol

These look outstanding, by the way! Can't wait to see the wintery ones laugh

• Thyranq said:

I came on the DAZ Forums to see what was new this morning. I come into the Commercial Products section, and right at the top I see a WIP about terrain shaders with WEATHER - OOOOOOOOOOOOOO, then as I'm about to click on it I happen to notice who created the thread. Remembering how much I love the last shader pack, and how detailed and amazing those were, my jaw drops, eyes widen, and I gasp enough that my coworker next to me looks over to see what happened. I can't explain it to him, cause he doesn't know what any of this is, so I just have to say it's something cool about computers and he goes back to what he's doing, as I continue to stare, wide-eyed and open mouthed.

So, given the awesome epicness of your previous shaders, seeing your name on a shader pack means I had mind-purchased this before I even opened the thread lol

These look outstanding, by the way! Can't wait to see the wintery ones laugh

Ha ha, really? That's awesome! This response totally makes my whole morning. I'm getting ready to go out and photograph the cobblestone streets in my village for this project, and I shall now do so with a happy grin. :D 

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,090

Very nice looking! But there is something I don't understand: one hundred subdivisions? Do you mean SubD 100? Or rather SubD 10? Because SubD 10 is already more than one million of faces, so subD100 I am not able to count... It would be indeed really cool to have these ground effects using only roughly one million faces !

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,115
    edited December 2020

V3Digitimes said:

Very nice looking! But there is something I don't understand: one hundred subdivisions? Do you mean SubD 100? Or rather SubD 10? Because SubD 10 is already more than one million of faces, so subD100 I am not able to count... It would be indeed really cool to have these ground effects using only roughly one million faces !

I didn't phrase that properly. I just meant this: 

Ooops.jpg
    214 x 261 - 49K
  • Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,115
    edited December 2020
    So I'm terrible at math, but that's one hundred faces by one hundred, so that makes 10,000 faces? ETA: And the SubD Displacement Level for the shader itself was set at 3, so that's...*gets out calculator*...I have no idea.

Those Things said:

So I'm terrible at math, but that's one hundred faces by one hundred, so that makes 10,000 faces? ETA: And the SubD Displacement Level for the shader itself was set at 3, so that's...*gets out calculator*...I have no idea.

Lots 

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,090
    edited December 2020

OK! Thanks for the input! I was afraid of the subd 100! 10000 faces with a subD 3... If the Displacement subd works as the subdivision subD (this I don't know) it is around 640 000 faces, which is fine for my old computer. And even if there is one more level in disp subd than in resolution subd, it would do just a bit more than 2 million faces which is still fine... edit (if I'm not to tired for such calculations, for 640000 faces on a 20 meter plane it makes a 800x800 faces, meaning a level of detail of 2.5 cm per face(20 m / 800)..)

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • Thyranq said:

Those Things said:

Lots 

Ahh, there we go. I knew someone good at math would have the actual answer. laugh 

• So when are we gonna see these available for purchase?
  • AnEye4Art said:

So when are we gonna see these available for purchase?

Faster than you'd think, but probably slower than you'd like. indecision 

• Thank you.

Those Things said:

AnEye4Art said:

Truer words have not been spoken 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@Thyranq "Truer words have not been spoken "

Definitely that. 

@Those Things

I feel like I should be creating a slush fund just for your releases. You are already on my "buy immediate list".

I feel like I should be creating a slush fund just for your releases. You are already on my "buy immediate list".

THIS! 

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,025

I'm super stoked for this. There are so many situations where I just need Ground and in a specific shape (usually flat). 

• Will there be tire tracks in the mud, too. 

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    edited December 2020

These look fantastic. I've long been saddened by how generally terrible the ground looks in most scenes. 

Post edited by Leonides02 on
  • plasma_ring said:

I'm super stoked for this. There are so many situations where I just need Ground and in a specific shape (usually flat). 

That's actually what started this project. I needed ground for a scene, and realized that if I got my camera anywhere close to pretty much anything I could find, it all fell apart visually.  

• AnEye4Art said:

Will there be tire tracks in the mud, too. 

Ooooh, good idea. I'll do some Substance Designer tests! 

• Leonides02 said:

These look fantastic. I've long been saddened by how generally terrible the ground looks in most scenes. 

Me tooooo... 

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,085
    edited December 2020

Those Things said:

AnEye4Art said:

Nominated for best PA answer ever!
    Post edited by Sigurd on
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,085

I can't wait!

• Those Things said:

AnEye4Art said:

Will there be tire tracks in the mud, too. 

Ooooh, good idea. I'll do some Substance Designer tests! 

And footprints would be cool. A sandy beach without footprints looks weird  

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,276

*sigh* Iray only I take it?

• JOdel said:

*sigh* Iray only I take it?

:( Yes.   

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,303

Boy, someone's got shader fever.  These look very good, especially the snow on the small rocks.  Cobblestones are a great idea, especially if there will be sidewalk shaders, too #suggestion.  Will there be any suitable for forests or grasslands?

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,860

Another Daz Essential!

• rekrek Posts: 45

Thyranq said:

I came on the DAZ Forums to see what was new this morning. I come into the Commercial Products section, and right at the top I see a WIP about terrain shaders with WEATHER - OOOOOOOOOOOOOO, then as I'm about to click on it I happen to notice who created the thread. Remembering how much I love the last shader pack, and how detailed and amazing those were, my jaw drops, eyes widen, and I gasp

You know what? I had EXACTLY the SAME reaction. Minus the coworker part as I was alone at the time.

So, yeah. Instabuy!

If I could make one request... would it be possible to somehow split the 'to download' packages in a way that it's possible to only download and install the 2k versions? I have serious issues with bandwith and diskspace and for most of my work the 2k version would be sufficient. But as I said it will be an instabuy anyway :)

• Sevrin said:

Boy, someone's got shader fever.  These look very good, especially the snow on the small rocks.  Cobblestones are a great idea, especially if there will be sidewalk shaders, too #suggestion.  Will there be any suitable for forests or grasslands?

Ha ha, definitely. I mean, I spent all that time learning Substance Designer and Alchemist, and so many possibilities to make Daz better opened up, so I'm just running with it for now. There will be plenty of dirt shaders that would be perfect for forest trails and whatnot, but I'm steering away from grass for now. There are already a lot of grass shaders in the store, and there's only so much that can be done (realistically) with displacement. I do plan to cover things like beach sand, mud, gravel, possibly craters, wood chips, cracked earth, cobblestones (my village is a target rich environment for photos of those), asphalt, certain types of concrete, rocky paths, stone walkways, that sort of thing.  Pretty much any sort of terrain that can maintain its detail and realism when the camera is positioned near the ground. 

• rek said:

Thyranq said:

I came on the DAZ Forums to see what was new this morning. I come into the Commercial Products section, and right at the top I see a WIP about terrain shaders with WEATHER - OOOOOOOOOOOOOO, then as I'm about to click on it I happen to notice who created the thread. Remembering how much I love the last shader pack, and how detailed and amazing those were, my jaw drops, eyes widen, and I gasp

You know what? I had EXACTLY the SAME reaction. Minus the coworker part as I was alone at the time.

So, yeah. Instabuy!

If I could make one request... would it be possible to somehow split the 'to download' packages in a way that it's possible to only download and install the 2k versions? I have serious issues with bandwith and diskspace and for most of my work the 2k version would be sufficient. But as I said it will be an instabuy anyway :)

Yes, I learned from the Food Shaders experience, and will certainly endeavour to split the package up into more easily digestable chunks. blush