Car wrecks & accident morphs

deepred6502deepred6502 Posts: 312
edited May 2021 in The Commons

I've been doing some research on how to do virtual fender-benders without having to use horribly expensive super-computer simulation, and so far there's been the following discussions:

As one of the threads has mentioned, dFormers are a possible solution but from my experience they're more for organic living beings & soft curved objects such as pillows, rather than hard & flat metal surfaces.

SimTenero's Shape Reprojector looks promising but I've yet to buy & try it. In the meantime, Pamawo over at the other site has just released a Destroyed Police Car prop.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,830

Sven used dForce to do these crashes.No details on how are given.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

RGcincy said:

My guess would be tons of weightmap editing and then using a timeline to have objects ramming them poor cars... at least that was I would try to do..

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

maikdecker said:

RGcincy said:

My guess would be tons of weightmap editing and then using a timeline to have objects ramming them poor cars... at least that was I would try to do..

Actuallly, these were some of my first experiments with dForce and I quickly found out that destroying things was a lot more fun than draping clothing:) No I didn't use weight maps IIRC. Just set up the animations, added the dynamic surfaces, run a number of test sims with various dynamic strength on tires, windshields and car bodies etc. Probably adjusted the other dynamic properties as to not mash things up completely. Then picked the frame I liked the most, made morphs of them, re-positioned the cars and adjusted morph strength separately for each bone, well something along these lines. Frankly, those renders are kinda fun but for realistic results...not so much:)

• RobotHeadArtRobotHeadArt Posts: 915

If you use the average car model and try and "crash" it, it's going to not look very realistic since most models just have the exterior polygons and nothing on the inside, unlike a real car where there's things like the engine, the frame, wires, plastic, rubber, etc.  You would have to model or kitbash those in.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

I think I'd use Mesh Grabber to bang up the cars. Multiple surfaces means it would take some time to do. I did it once with an Astom Martin using Metasequoia.... LOL Metasequoia... showng my age.

• deepred6502deepred6502 Posts: 312

RobotHeadArt said:

If you use the average car model and try and "crash" it, it's going to not look very realistic since most models just have the exterior polygons and nothing on the inside, unlike a real car where there's things like the engine, the frame, wires, plastic, rubber, etc.  You would have to model or kitbash those in.

Speaking of engines, I've been working on 1 such model...

https://www.deviantart.com/deepred6502/art/Ready-for-reconditioning-877797252

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

Great engine! Love how it's a used one and not a shiny new one.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575
    edited May 2021

I have considered using various reflection maps as displacement maps for minor dents. They could possibly be converted to normal maps also.

This is a Poser primitive with a simple displacement

Reflection as Displacement.png
    640 x 640 - 38K
    Post edited by pwiecek on
    edited May 2021

deepred6502 said:

As one of the threads has mentioned, dFormers are a possible solution but from my experience they're more for organic living beings & soft curved objects such as pillows, rather than hard & flat metal surfaces.

There were no survivorsfrown

...just a quick playing around with a dFormer, no weightmaps, just edited the spline curve and spawned/combined two morphs and hit render...admittedly you'd get better results in a real modeller but hey this is free and does not require a super computer:) As for making simple dents and such...you can set it up in minutes.

F612 dFormed awe.png
    1200 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I've not tried it but if the DAZ Decimator can decimate regions of a models at different levels you can decimate some regions while leaving other regions untouched.

• Some pre-modelled crashed cars over at RenderHub titled "Crashed Transport 12b 3D Model".

I've purchased MeshGrabber, so when I get round to experimenting with it, I'll post some results if they look good enough.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164

You might check out this bundle it https://www.daz3d.com/live-architectures-bundle

it has a car crash set up in it .

It is a older set and not perfect, but tit will work pretty good and are editable I use them for animation all the time.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171
    fred9803 said:

I think I'd use Mesh Grabber to bang up the cars. Multiple surfaces means it would take some time to do. I did it once with an Astom Martin using Metasequoia.... LOL Metasequoia... showng my age.

I still use Metasequoia up till now. It's awesome!

deepred6502 said:

There were no survivorsfrown

...just a quick playing around with a dFormer, no weightmaps, just edited the spline curve and spawned/combined two morphs and hit render...admittedly you'd get better results in a real modeller but hey this is free and does not require a super computer:) As for making simple dents and such...you can set it up in minutes.

The sunny weather with those bloodless unburnt crashed vehicles is eerily captivating. I would say it's another form or art.

CHWT said:

The sunny weather with those bloodless unburnt crashed vehicles is eerily captivating. I would say it's another form or art.

I don't know about art but it's deeply satisfying:)

...yeah feels better already...

Happy 2022, Car Wreckers!

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171

...yeah feels better already...

Happy 2022, Car Wreckers!

Ha ha ha ha!