PC+ Exclusive Item! Restaurant Crime Scene!

Comments

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084
    edited September 2021

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

mcorr said:

$16.47 ... very reasonable, but I can't add it to the cart, even with a membershipin the cart.

You might need to sign up first, I'm not 100% of the workflow regarding this... admittedly it is a new feature, so it might not be that clever just yet.

If DAZ were just doing what it normally does without trying to be "clever" with this sale, I would have already closed the deal with the new membership in the cart, but no ....

With all of the pricing snafus I have seen in my time and me not being able to now actually see the price anywhere--with or without a membership in the cart--DAZ will have to get "clever(er)" quickly before I hand over the membership money. Since what works and what doesn't work regarding pricing is often--when things go haywire--a question of the individual, the browser he or her is using, coupons he or she is or isn't entitled to, what time zone they are in etc., etc.-- I will need visual confirmation of the pricing for me ... as I have always been able to do... before I commit to buying another membership. Without that, it's a no go for me, which means I will not be buying it now, which means I wil calm down and realize I can buy this later, which means I will buy the 3-month membership when it is on sale, which means I'll be paying less for that and the product when it also goes on sale eventually, which means DAZ will ultimately lose lotsa money on this transaction with me.

Let's hope DAZ gets "clever" before the price goes up ... stopwatch started....

Post edited by mcorr on
    edited September 2021

Just to add more texture .... (1) I have to pay a transaction fee to my bank for every international purchase, which means that--if I were to buy the membership under the terms forced on me--I would be incurring unnecessary loses having to make two separate purchases. Moreover, (2) this "(un)clever" way of doing things also effectively disallows me from --in advance to purchasing RCS, but with it and a membership in the cart--to use RCS as a Debut or Still new to figure out extra savings I might be able to get on other additional purchses, thereby confirming the value (or lack thereof) of purchasing the membership and RCS investment. It could be argued that discount prices can just be calculated using some other Debut or Still New in the cart ,but that is not the way DAZ itself calculates refunds and other Customer Support issues: it always requires an exact configuration/capture/evidence of what is/was in the cart to get a discount, not some guestimate. Stopwatch still running ....

Post edited by mcorr on
  • mcorr said:

Just to add more texture .... (1) I have to pay a transaction fee to my bank for every international purchase, which means that--if I were to buy the membership under the terms forced on me--I would be incurring unnecessary loses having to make two separate purchases. Moreover, (2) this "(un)clever" way of doing things also effectively disallows me from --in advance to purchasing RCS, but with it and a membership in the cart--to use RCS as a Debut or Still new to figure out extra savings I might be able to get on other additional purchses, thereby confirming the value (or lack thereof) of purchasing the membership and RCS investment. It could be argued that discount prices can just be calculated using some other Debut or Still New in the cart ,but that is not the way DAZ itself calculates refunds and other Customer Support issues: it always requires an exact configuration/capture/evidence of what is/was in the cart to get a discount, not some guestimate. Stopwatch still running ....

You could, I think, purchase a Gift Card to cover both trasnactions.

Richard Haseltine said:

mcorr said:

Good idea, but that only covers point (1), not point (2).

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,358

mcorr said:

Richard Haseltine said:

mcorr said:

Good idea, but that only covers point (1), not point (2).

Buy the membership separately first, then you can have all the other items in the same cart. 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,733
    edited September 2021

the crime scene - it is possible to turn off all the blood stains on the floor, wherever. I turned off the drones, the police tape, and all associated with police. The object list in scene tab has it all so you can texture them, change up, delete, and basically make the scene what you want, clean, whatever. Yeah, it will take a bit of time, but not that much. This image here I changed the floor itself but didn;t do antything about the bad tiling, but you get the drift. All those bottles whatever can be turned off too ..or deleted. I'll take some time later and do it up right. Clean ...

crime1.png
    1800 x 1440 - 5M
    Post edited by daveso on
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,142
    If it's PC+...I mean DAZ+, I hope it gets an official texture add-on that cleans it up or reorganizes it to a "before the crime takes place" scene. (Like the police drones can be re-textured into waiter drones that help bring the orders or clean up after customers.)
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,733

after a bit more experimentation, some of the decals a bit hard to find. yeah, to have clean would be so much easier. A lot of the props are in groups so much hard to texture. I'm a rookie so I think some expert could do it easy enough. maybe another PA could even do cleanup version... and even add some nice textures to it

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171
    edited September 2021

the crime scene - it is possible to turn off all the blood stains on the floor, wherever. I turned off the drones, the police tape, and all associated with police. The object list in scene tab has it all so you can texture them, change up, delete, and basically make the scene what you want, clean, whatever. Yeah, it will take a bit of time, but not that much. This image here I changed the floor itself but didn;t do antything about the bad tiling, but you get the drift. All those bottles whatever can be turned off too ..or deleted. I'll take some time later and do it up right. Clean ...

That's exactly how the restaurant would look like when all the staff suddenly stomp out of the restaurant during cleanup because the restaurant owner tells them that they are not going to get overtime pay.

So yes a clean version is needed, although I doubt there will ever be one.

Post edited by CHWT on
  • It's quite a nice little scene. Lots of the table and floor props are bundled so one click can hide many.

A tip from me. Set your IRay max samples to 200/300, turn on denoiser, set the Post Denoiser Start iterations to 180/280 respective of the max samples and it renders super nice and quick with a nice graphic novel look to it. :D

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

I do find this whole thing at odds with itself. I totally understand what the reason is, like was mentioned earlier, this is an attempt to get more people into the PC+ ecosystem. But consider this,

PC+ has always been about value. PC+ items are already "exclusive" because of their discounts. PC+ members have certain expectations for PC+ content, and the #1 expectation is a low price.

However this exclusive item doesn't really have that special PC+ discount price. The deal here is that the item is simply exclusive to PC+ members. So PC+ exclusive items may not have the famous PC+ discount price that members have come to expect over the years.

That is the issue. I realize they went and altered the price to $16.47, but the point is made. Most PC+ members are looking for those $5 items, or things like the "PC+ for a Day" deals for $2. That is the kind of thing PC+ customers are generally consuming, and that has been their expectation for years.

So I can totally get where people are coming from. I must say I am not a huge fan of exclusive content. And if this content is going to be sold for more "normal" Daz prices, I kind of feel like this will not draw in very many new customers to PC+ like Daz may hope. If the exclusive items had more "PC+ style" prices, like under $10, then I think yes, this perk might get more customers to sign up for PC+. Otherwise the penny pinchers will continue pinching their pennies.

Certainly there are plenty of PC+ members who are not penny pinchers and buy lots of content, but even here I do not see the benefit. These people are more likely to buy the content anyway, thus sales from this group are not increased by this move. So all Daz is really doing here is artificially locking out the non PC+ members from buying. This particular product already has a game engine version in another store, but surely their will be other PC+ exclusive items that are only at Daz (at least I assume so). This keeps the small studios who might have bought an item at a higher price from potentially buying this item, as they may not be interested in becoming a member and just want to make a quick singular purchase. I don't know, I just think the "exclusive" part might only balance out sales numbers in the end, not drive them higher.

I'll talk about video games a bit. When people buy consoles, they often look at the exclusive content for that console. It generally is the biggest factor in the purchase decision, above the actual performance. But the exclusives have to be good. Microsoft Xbox has lagged behind Sony in large part because of exclusives. Even though Microsoft has done some amazing things, they have great hardware and Xbox Game Pass is an incredible deal. But these things have not pushed Xbox to outsell Sony Playstation. Playstation sells because of the flow of exclusive games, and they are often very good games. Xbox has exclusive games as well, but in general they are not as highly regarded. And that is the difference. Sony has freakin' Spiderman. What does PC+ have?

So for PC+ exclusive content to work, it has to be absolutely amazing content. Oh, and it has to be not available elsewhere. The item we have today is available in another store, and while that is a game engine version, the fact remains that people can go buy it somewhere else. That is not exclusive! Plus you do not need to be a special member to buy the item in the other store like you do here. So the items need to be actual exclusives, and they need to be something that makes users go "Holy smokes, I NEED this product in my Daz library." The product today is a cool product, but it ultimately does lack a 'clean' version. A clean version would have put this over the top. I can think back to some old i13 products that did this. I was totally blown away by that. This product needs to blow people away by either pitching itself as being just that amazing, or by having an amazing price. At least one of these things must be true, hopefully both.

Remember, this is not just about drawing existing Daz users, but about getting new ones to buy into PC+. To do that you have to make that first impression count. You can just release some items that are exclusive and expect more PC+ members. They have to be items that draw people in.

edited October 2021

mcorr said:

...Without that, it's a no go for me, which means I will not be buying it now, which means I wil calm down and realize I can buy this later, which means I will buy the 3-month membership when it is on sale, which means I'll be paying less for that and the product when it also goes on sale eventually, which means DAZ will ultimately lose lotsa money on this transaction with me.

Let's hope DAZ gets "clever" before the price goes up ... stopwatch started....

Add to that then when I do eventually get the membership (after the product is no longer a "New"), I'll be able to use my monthly coupons to get even more off on this DAZ original ... like I said, "lotsa" money lost by not changing this offer to where it should be before the bell is up.

I've got a membership as well as other products in my cart, and am ready to close the deal, if DAZ comes to it's senses and let's me put RCS in the cart in order to get a price fix. Without being able to determine the contractual terms (of the benefits supposedly conferred by purchasing this membership) visually and in writing in the check-out cart, I will not otherwise move forward.

.... clock still ticking ...

Post edited by mcorr on
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,274
    edited October 2021

In the interest of explaining - what you're waiting for is a fundamental change in how the store works.  To be clear and to manage expectations, I can't see this being changed immediately, as the dev team have other projects they are working on.

As I understand it, the store is coded to preemptively apply the PC+ discount to items in the cart, when accompanied by a membership.  This now needs to also be adjusted to allow PC+ exclusive items to also be able to be added, with a membership in the cart. I've already put a request in, but as I say, I'd be surprised if this is rolled out before the set is off sale.

Post edited by Daz Jack Tomalin on
  • FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,048

Do we get a fortune cookie if we buy the restaurant?

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171
    Fauvist said:

Do we get a fortune cookie if we buy the restaurant?

Nah, you won't lol. Restaurants in HK do not offer fortune cookies.

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

In the interest of explaining - what you're waiting for is a fundamental change in how the store works.  To be clear and to manage expectations, I can't see this being changed immediately, as the dev team have other projects they are working on.

As I understand it, the store is coded to preemptively apply the PC+ discount to items in the cart, when accompanied by a membership.  This now needs to also be adjusted to allow PC+ exclusive items to also be able to be added, with a membership in the cart. I've already put a request in, but as I say, I'd be surprised if this is rolled out before the set is off sale.

fair enough, but why is the 10% discount on BLENDER ANNIVERSARY not working either?

• mcorr said:

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

fair enough, but why is the 10% discount on BLENDER ANNIVERSARY not working either?

It'sd a New item. The link in the emssage about the offer doesn't exclude them (which we have now pointed out to Daz) but the offer does exclude them.

• Richard Haseltine said:

mcorr said:

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

It'sd a New item. The link in the emssage about the offer doesn't exclude them (which we have now pointed out to Daz) but the offer does exclude them.

That can happen. But it happens too often with DAZ. A decent merchant should admit its his/her fault and grant the discount regardless.

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

mcorr said:

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

That can happen. But it happens too often with DAZ. A decent merchant should admit its his/her fault and grant the discount regardless.

Not sure about online rules, but if you walk into a store (brick and mortar), they'd have to honor what was advertised. Maybe the Better Business Bureau can help out with this ... this kind of thing is exactly why I didn't want to renew my membership: non-transpareny and gottchas.  It is exactly what I had predicted. That is not going to happen to me a second time. I am not amused.

Richard Haseltine said:

mcorr said:

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

then maybe items not allowed should not be on the page of items belonging to the BLENDER ANNIVERSARY SALE ... what the heck!

• mcorr said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

mcorr said:

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

Not sure about online rules, but if you walk into a store (brick and mortar), they'd have to honor what was advertised. Maybe the Better Business Bureau can help out with this ... this kind of thing is exactly why I didn't want to renew my membership: non-transpareny and gottchas.  It is exactly what I had predicted. That is not going to happen to me a second time. I am not amused.

However, the terms did say new releases were excluded. I agree the link should have filtered out new items, but the information was there in the message.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,003
    edited October 2021

after rendering over a thousand frames over a day, I discovered there are hovering black balls throughout the scene WTF???

by swat member elbow near middle

by drone and behind table leg

swat0027.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    three039.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Possibly spot lights with sphere shape turned on and not set to invisible in render.

• JamieMJamieM Posts: 355

They look like they might be light probes. Check if they are & can be mass hidden in the scene tab. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,003

bit late sadly and I discovered it mid render of the last image series which is still in progress

am not redoing it all blush

it is in the default load and it is iray, I didn't notice them in my Carrara and Twinmotion imports

I did however use my own faster and not the default or provided render settings

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

Is there a particular reason both this and the new Daz+ exclusive product continue to be advertising as "only" $29.95 for Daz+ members when in fact it's only $16? Seems silly to try and market the product as much more expensive than it is when you're trying to draw in new Daz+ members.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,142
    vagans said:

Is there a particular reason both this and the new Daz+ exclusive product continue to be advertising as "only" $29.95 for Daz+ members when in fact it's only $16? Seems silly to try and market the product as much more expensive than it is when you're trying to draw in new Daz+ members.

It was $29.95, but people complained and the price was lowered. However, the advertising hasn't been changed to reflect this.

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

MimicMolly said:

vagans said:

It was $29.95, but people complained and the price was lowered. However, the advertising hasn't been changed to reflect this.

Yes, that's my point.

edited October 2021

vagans said:

MimicMolly said:

vagans said:

Yes, that's my point.

how do you guys get a $16 price ... I am a pc member and can't get it below the $21.95 price?

Post edited by mcorr on

Richard Haseltine said:

mcorr said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

mcorr said:

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

However, the terms did say new releases were excluded. I agree the link should have filtered out new items, but the information was there in the message.

So instead of people just being able to rely on what looks obvious, this is a case of customers having to read the small print like in phrama and car adverts?? Is that where we are now?