Anyone else going back to G3?

I have a lot invested in G8 because of the realism of the characters, but I can't render more than 2-3 characters in a scene. Doing digital comics, I often need 3-4 or more chracters in a scene. So I find myself using G3 more & more AND buying more & more stuff for G3.

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750

I still use Genesis3 regularly. Most the characters have Iray mats, and there are plenty of pose sets available.

• I still prefer G3.

• LOL, yes.

So much so that I use RiverSoft Art's character converter to move characters from Genesis 8 to Genesis 3. I may have slightly nicer dials and more modern Iray textures in Genesis 8, but I'll port the character back to Genesis 3.

Like this character... mostly Sangriart's Gertha for G8F. I converted her to Genesis 3. It just works faster and easier for whatever reason, despite being largely the same figure.

I'll even use Genesis 8 clothing... like on this Genesis 3 figure based on Twosret 8, converted to G3F.

Scene ID swap on the clothes, then joint rotations in the shoulder & thigh bends, then bake joint rotations with the joint editor before fitting.

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 836
    edited January 2022

"Anyone else going back to G3?"

I never stopped using it. wink  Yes, I use primarily G8, but there's so little difference between the two, some characters I use could not be converted to G8, so I stick with both. I use a ton of G3 stuff: characters, clothing, etc.

Drogo, you've had problems with rendering G8s before. If you're not rendering close-ups, be sure rendering SubD is lower than 3 in your Scene Tab. Some characters load with rendering SubD greater than 2. Viewport SubD should be at 1 in my opinion. And remove any SubD on displacement maps in the Surfaces Tab. Some clothing items have displacement maps with subD set at 3 (or greater). I remove the clothing subD settings in the surfaces Tab almost all the time...I can hardly ever see a difference at all on clothing items.

Post edited by ZippyGuitar on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Check the Sub-D levels on the G8's, it is often set higher then the G3's and usually does not need to be.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015
    edited January 2022

Basically G8 doesn't use any more resources than G3 does, if a figure uses more resources than an other figure, then the first one is using larger textures, bigger SubD or more texture maps for the surfaces - All things that can be dealt with.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Going back?... I still haven't really used any of the G8 figures for anything other than testing.

I don't really need super detailed characters, so the earlier figures work fine for my needs.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited January 2022

PerttiA said:

Basically G8 doesn't use any more resources than G3 does, if a figure uses more resources than an other figure, then the first one is using larger textures, bigger SubD or more texture maps for the surfaces - All things that can be dealt with.

Also more control morphs...G8 (and moreso 8.1) has a lot of those.  

That being said, I do stick with G8.1 (and any G8 figure can be loaded up on G8.1) simply for the eye movement. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

MelissaGT said:

PerttiA said:

That being said, I do stick with G8.1 (and any G8 figure can be loaded up on G8.1) simply for the eye movement. 

Depends on how much one has purchased additional morphs for G8, and it doesn't have a big impact on how much resourses are used.

This G8 figure takes just 12MB's of VRAM to render in Iray, which means I could render some 420 of them in the same scene on my 8GB RTX 2070 Super if they all took that amount, but as the textures are only loaded once, the number would be more.

ElTst.JPG
    273 x 448 - 14K
  • Well, I get more done and quicker with Genesis 3, even with the same figure converted from G8F to G3F using RiverSoft Art's converter.
    I haven't compred subD Twosret on G3F versus G8F, or Gertha on G3F versus G8F, however.

I do have a lot (a lot a lot) of bloat in my Genesis 8 library, thanks to the longevity of the product. I consciously keep trying to cut back because there's too much.
    Just navigating the interface with a Genesis 8 figure takes more time than Genesis 3. There's just so much more stuff that I have for Genesis 8. It's a lot of stuff in the system.

If I want to use Genesis 8, I'd rather use Genesis 8.1 for the face. Autofit does work nicer for Genesis 8/8.1 when I do gender-swap outfits, but that's not always a big deal.

• I spent some money and effort converting G3 characters to G8, but I'm considering going back to G3 because of hardware constraints.  I've even considered going all the way to G2 for some characters.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724

I use whatever figure I need for the scene I am working on. I prefer G8, but have been doing more and more with G8.1.

I have some custom skins I have done for GF8 and the beauty of it is I can use them on GF3, GF8 and GF8.1, gotta love it.

• moving forward....NO

• csaacsaa Posts: 815

@Drogo_Nazhur,

What may make a difference is setting the G8 mesh resolution to base. Aslo, have you tried low-res textures such as  MMX Resource Saver Shaders for Iray? I've read that the Decimator for Daz Studio can reduce the polygon count considerably, reducing the memory load during rendering. (I bring my assets to Blender and use its decimator tools which are free. Lowering the polygon count makes a difference.)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Drogo Nazhur said:

I have a lot invested in G8 because of the realism of the characters, but I can't render more than 2-3 characters in a scene. Doing digital comics, I often need 3-4 or more chracters in a scene. So I find myself using G3 more & more AND buying more & more stuff for G3.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

...I pretty much remained with G3 due to the "drain" on financial resources moving up to G8 and now 8.1 would impose to get it to th leve I already have G3 at. 

I do have a few G8 characters, mainly the "interesting" ones like Floyd, Mabel, Drutherson, Eidie, etc. but none of the "core" ones I already have for G3 (well, save for Vicky 8 which I got for free as a loyalty bonus [wonder why it's never Mike  X?])...I also have the G8 to  G3 conversion script, but have a few mixed feelings because of how G8 uses separate eyebrows and lashes as well as has a few more facial bones that G3 doesn't have).  As i have older hardware, 8.1 with its SSS skins is pretty useless. 

I recently picked up Zev0's XTransfer to transfer G3 morphs and shapes to G8 so will see how that works as another issue with G8 is the more extensive use of hierarchal presets. that make transferring certain clothing and hair to G3 a total bother.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,482

MelissaGT said:

PerttiA said:

I have never used 8.1 for anything. I don't haave a clue as to what works with 8.1 and what doesn't and, other than a few expressions (which are rarely important to me) I don't see the benefit. It seems to me that 8.1 requires a whole new investment in materials and I don't have the bufget for that. I've only just started using G8M because most of my males so far have been G3M.

A problem I've found with using G3M clothing on G8M is that, even though I followed SickleYield's excellent tutorial, the converted clothes only seem to fit the base G8M. Try them on a morphed character such as one made with Zev0's Growing Up and the converted clothes don't fit - especially on the arms. I think it is a similar story converting the other way (G8 clothes to G3).

...I have the G8 to G3 Clothing Converter and it is still pretty hit or miss. For example I tried to convert one set of clothing eh only parts that worked were the shirt and shoes, not the slacks, I had the same results even when I converted each piece individually. . Some clothing content won't convert at all.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited January 2022

I like some of the G3 characters that are different so far than any G8. A favorite is Wise Sensei. He has a serious character, not tooney and not reinterations of Lee. He's starts out kind of shiny and the wrinkles are deep but easily adjusted. I like Satine, and Opal, "mature" figures who are very different faces and bodies. I like some G8. There was a program to allow G3 materials on G8 figure that has been useful.That greatly increases the wardrobe without fiddling with scripts. I don't worry too much about body morphs. The elders don't show much torso.

Post edited by IceScribe on
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,438

LOL NO, as soon as a figure comes out I bury the last one, dance in its grave, and never look back.

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,081

GlenWebb said:

I never stopped using it. wink  Yes, I use primarily G8, but there's so little difference between the two, some characters I use could not be converted to G8, so I stick with both. I use a ton of G3 stuff: characters, clothing, etc.

Drogo, you've had problems with rendering G8s before. If you're not rendering close-ups, be sure rendering SubD is lower than 3 in your Scene Tab. Some characters load with rendering SubD greater than 2. Viewport SubD should be at 1 in my opinion. And remove any SubD on displacement maps in the Surfaces Tab. Some clothing items have displacement maps with subD set at 3 (or greater). I remove the clothing subD settings in the surfaces Tab almost all the time...I can hardly ever see a difference at all on clothing items.

I don't see and subD settings in the scene tab?

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,081

csaa said:

@Drogo_Nazhur,

What may make a difference is setting the G8 mesh resolution to base. Aslo, have you tried low-res textures such as  MMX Resource Saver Shaders for Iray? I've read that the Decimator for Daz Studio can reduce the polygon count considerably, reducing the memory load during rendering. (I bring my assets to Blender and use its decimator tools which are free. Lowering the polygon count makes a difference.)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Drogo Nazhur said:

Thank you.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Drogo Nazhur said:

GlenWebb said:

I don't see and subD settings in the scene tab?

Parameters, not scene.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,604

No. Not a fan of the pecs of g3 males or the crunchiness in their faces.

• Yes, the Parameters Tab. Apologies for the confusion.

Serene Night said:

...same for the chest on the females.  Even with Zevo's Breast Control or a couple other breast utilities like the NPMs and Dogz' Natural; Breast Shapes, there is a small "ridge" that appears to remain that remains which outlines the bottom of the default breast size when the breasts are dialled down that shows in some clothing fits.I've treie every twesk I know to eliminate it with no success.

I don't understand this obsession with large breasts on Daz female figures being the default or "norm"  Sizing down breasts without distortions that can affect clothing fits has been an issue since the V3/V4 days. About the only way I can see to fix this is with sculpting software like ZBrush or creating a custom morph with modelling software neither of which I have much skill in.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

kyoto kid said:

Serene Night said:

I don't understand this obsession with large breasts on Daz female figures being the default or "norm" 

Clearly you haven't spent much time on DeviantArt.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited January 2022

marble said:

MelissaGT said:

PerttiA said:

I have never used 8.1 for anything. I don't haave a clue as to what works with 8.1 and what doesn't and, other than a few expressions (which are rarely important to me) I don't see the benefit. It seems to me that 8.1 requires a whole new investment in materials and I don't have the bufget for that. I've only just started using G8M because most of my males so far have been G3M.

A problem I've found with using G3M clothing on G8M is that, even though I followed SickleYield's excellent tutorial, the converted clothes only seem to fit the base G8M. Try them on a morphed character such as one made with Zev0's Growing Up and the converted clothes don't fit - especially on the arms. I think it is a similar story converting the other way (G8 clothes to G3).

Any clothing that fits G8 will fit G8.1 without having to auto-fit (the rare exception being masks that use the different facial rigging). G8 materials can absolutely be used on G8.1...I do that all the time. The biggest benefit for me is the more realistic eye movement. More than just the eyeballs move when looking left/right and up/down and G8.1 is far better at that than G8.

You can run into the clothing fitment issue with even using G3M to G3M (or G8M to G8M, etc)...if custom fitment morphs were not created for that character in that specific article of clothing. For example, I can buy an outfit made for G8.1...but if I try to put it on Jada 8.1, it will technically fit, but it will most likely get all sorts of distorted. Clothing fits horribly on Jada. That's why I tend to stick pretty dang close to the base G8/8.1 or base G3 figure by default...because the further you go from it, the worse clothing will (in general) fit. So the same situation applies in your case...you are converting clothing from base G3 to base G8...and that clothing doesn't have any fitment morphs built into it for any of the G8 characters. Your best bet if you want it to fit perfectly is to either create custom morphs yourself (which requires external knowledge and programs), or use the base figure body shape (which is what I tend to do). Just try an experiment. Load a base G8 or base G3...then load clothing that is made to fit...then slide in a PA-made character or even one of the more obscure DO characters (so like other than Michael or Victoria, etc)...just watch how the clothing distorts when the character morph loads. Some people aren't bothered by it (judging by the level of distortion I see in a lot of product promos)...it drives me bananas. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on

Gordig said:

kyoto kid said:

Serene Night said:

I don't understand this obsession with large breasts on Daz female figures being the default or "norm" 

Clearly you haven't spent much time on DeviantArt.

...actually I have (also have a gallery there), and I generally pass by most of what I consider gratuitous images of scantily clad women with "comic book sized" (or larger) busts.  Just wish there were better controls or utilities to downsize them here. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056

kyoto kid said:

Serene Night said:

...same for the chest on the females.  Even with Zevo's Breast Control or a couple other breast utilities like the NPMs and Dogz' Natural; Breast Shapes, there is a small "ridge" that appears to remain that remains which outlines the bottom of the default breast size when the breasts are dialled down that shows in some clothing fits.I've treie every twesk I know to eliminate it with no success.

I don't understand this obsession with large breasts on Daz female figures being the default or "norm"  Sizing down breasts without distortions that can affect clothing fits has been an issue since the V3/V4 days. About the only way I can see to fix this is with sculpting software like ZBrush or creating a custom morph with modelling software neither of which I have much skill in.

this is the reason DAZ models will never be the photorealistic people they like to claim they are no

They will always be fantasy, adult entertainment, gamerbro stylised figures because the vast majority of real women are not walking around looking like that

those that do get noticed often with thoughts on the skills of their plastic surgeon going through the viewers head.

I say this as someone who has had a DD cup since 18 too, you can tell straight away they are not siicone and I need a bra. 

It is no secret celebrities often have cellulite, a bit of a bump here and there and other faults the parapatzi love to capture that get airbrushed out in photos.

I am not saying it's wrong,

Art is stylised.

Just not photorealistic.

More Photoshop realistic.wink

edited January 2022

...yeah, I thought the Genesis concept would allow breaking that mould.  

Actually, the original Genesis sort of did as it was a unisex figure and you could mix attributes of both genders.  When Daz split the genders again, is where they sort of back stepped to the gaming/comic book/adult entertainment ideal.

I've been trying to create Leela's older brother who is only 14 not as "rugged" as the standard Daz male (eweven the base teen characters are built that way), and actually had to intject a tiny bit of G3F into him (usign the Cross Figure resoource) to soften the jaw and facial lines a bit to give him a little more family resemblance.along with a more lithe physique. Unfortunately I cannot get a more fair skinned texture or freckles (he is also ginger haired) as that can only be done through Skin Builder. 

I wish that some of those plugins also had a male equivalent. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on