Realistic Renders.... NOT! 14: A new frontier.....

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,306
    edited December 1969

Another try with Macro Skin. This time http://www.daz3d.com/zyra
    Light setup from http://www.daz3d.com/beautiful-bends-for-genesis-2-female-s

GirlWithTheRose.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 198K
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Got to say, I'm not keen on that Macro Skin at all. I've got far better results with UberSurface2 and Mustakettu's settings. He is also at work on a shader which does sound very promising.

CHEERS!

Which settings are you talking about, Rogerbee.
    Do you have a link to them?
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Another try with Macro Skin. This time http://www.daz3d.com/zyra
    Light setup from http://www.daz3d.com/beautiful-bends-for-genesis-2-female-s

She looks a lot better there, Wowie does great lights.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Artini said:

Which settings are you talking about, Rogerbee.
    Do you have a link to them?

Here you go:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/76566/gallery/3/PDF-Tutorial/Subsurface-Scattering-in-3Delight-for-DS

I swear by it!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments and the link, Rogerbee. Just downloaded it.
    There is a lot to read and even more to understand...

edited April 2015

You don't really need to go through the whole thing, make a note of the subsurface colours from page 25, then use the settings from page 32. That's what I do anyway, though I leave diffuse on. You will need to go through all your textures in Photoshop and create all the desaturated diffuse maps. That's the main skin textures, and you find desaturate under Image then Adjustments.

Hope this helps

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • edited April 2015

An elderly lady.
    Set up in daz and then exported to Maxwell and rendered.

Elderly.png
    1920 x 1284 - 2M
    Post edited by michael_grant_173225381f on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

myklgrant said:
    An elderly lady i sculpted painted rendered.
    She started out as genesis.female

That's awesome work!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958
    edited December 1969

REALLY nice. Uncanny valley very much pierced.

(I'm also a fan of pics of older people)

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited April 2015

Its been a while and I am still rebuilding my content database meanwhile commissions are starting to roll in again and my notebook is coming on 4 years so I am looking to score a new one when win 10 comes out.. also finally got the chance to use R4.

7.png
    1600 x 851 - 3M
    6.png
    1600 x 851 - 2M
    4.png
    1600 x 851 - 3M
    Post edited by Bobvan on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited December 1969

...good to see your work again.

Moved on to Iray myself. Faster render times even in CPU mode. Render times with Lux just were too long and there was a bug in R4 (which I understand will not be fixed) that would not load surface data of older scenes into the Reality Materials tab. Not sure if there has been another patch (have the third one after the initial release)

Iray is also integrated into Daz Studio so no need for a plugin which helps tremendously with the workflow. Still in beta testing but in the short time it has been available, I feel I have been able to get a lot farther along with it than I did with Lux.

Iray offers full GPU rendering capability though it's recommended to have at least 4GB video memory available.

The downside is you cannot run a render process in background or pause and resume (yet...), and like Octane, it requires the Nvidia CUDA GL to render in pure CPU mode.

edited April 2015

I know been reading all about it but like you said you cant pause and start or queue render which I like also there is a WIP that R4 and lux 1.5 will render 10x faster soon. When the full version of 4.8 comes out I will prolly fiddle with iray also I have a 2 yr old AMD fire pro.

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited April 2015

...unfortunately I would be unable to take advantage of the Lux 1.5 speed boost since the i7 I have is first generation (Nehalem/Bloomfield - LGA 1366 socket) and does not support AES which began with the next generation (Sandy Bridge - LGA1150 socket). Sandy Bridge CPUs are now legacy so I'd have to move up to an Ivy Bridge or Haswell CPU.

In the end it would mean basically building a new system with a new MB, new i7 CPU, new AMD GPU (with enough video memory for when GPU rendering goes live), and new memory as my memory kit is tri channel (6 x 2GB) and LGA 1150 boards are 4 slot dual channel. More expense than it is worth.

I'd be better off waiting for the new Nvidia Maxwell architecture GPUs to come on line (the TitanX with12 GB has already been released), as then prices for the Kepler series GPUs should most likely drop so I might be able to get a GTX980 or even an older Titan Black (6 GB) for a reasonable cost.

With an AMD Firepro, you will only be able to do CPU rendering as Iray was developed by Nvidia.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited April 2015

Bobvan said:
    Its been a while and I am still rebuilding my content database meanwhile commissions are starting to roll in again and my notebook is coming on 4 years so I am looking to score a new one when win 10 comes out.. also finally got the chance to use R4.

Looks great and nice that you're back to rendering again.
    Do you have any good looking skin setup for the skin in Reality 4 or any tips how to adjust existing ones?
    I could not manage to setup it myself for good results.
    Also, have you ever used ACSEL shaders, that preta3d send messages about, pretty often.
    How can one install and use them?
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited April 2015

Thanks no I just lower the glossy settings since SSS is new to Reality I dont know much how to tweak it yet Never really used ACEL shared yet prolly should at some point. Just go the the forums http://forum.runtimedna.com/forumdisplay.php?322-The-Official-Reality-for-Daz-Studio-Forum for Reality questions. BTW that render with the girl with the stalkings & macro skin looks killer!

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited April 2015

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...unfortunately I would be unable to take advantage of the Lux 1.5 speed boost since the i7 I have is first generation (Nehalem/Bloomfield - LGA 1366 socket) and does not support AES which began with the next generation (Sandy Bridge - LGA1150 socket). Sandy Bridge CPUs are now legacy so I'd have to move up to an Ivy Bridge or Haswell CPU.

In the end it would mean basically building a new system with a new MB, new CPU, and new memory as my memory kit is tri channel (6 x 2GB) and LGA 1150 boards are 4 slot dual channel. More expense than it is worth.

I'd be better off waiting for the new Nvidia Maxwell architecture GPUs to come on line (the TitanX with12 GB has already been released), as then prices for the Kepler series GPUs should most likely drop so I might be able to get a GTX980 or even an older Titan Black (6 GB) for a reasonable cost.

With an AMD Firepro, you will only be able to do CPU rendering as Iray was developed by Nvidia.

I ran the intell test even my 3 1/2 i7 notebook passes the requirements. Needless to say the beast (who's already coming up on 2 years) will work. Yeah I know but am I not switching cards. Like I said Lux does alot of stuff I like like being able to set up other renders while rendering adjusting lighting queue rendering ect. As you guys have seen I can make it work.

Edit the pecs on the "beast" looks like it will meet the requirements

2.jpg
    808 x 596 - 144K
    1.jpg
    809 x 599 - 174K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited April 2015

Welcome back Bob!

I just changed my email address, I log in with it so it is on the system, but, the email bots are still playing catch up. Anyway, great renders. Until I get a new case and more fans, I'm holding off too many renders as my poor CPU gets too hot at the moment. You could also practically cook an egg in the bay where my GPU sits, not good!

CHEERS!

EDIT: Ah, DOH, silly me didn't realise that I needed to change my email on the forum as well as the store! Oopsie! Should get something now, LOL!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited April 2015

LOL I render in cpu mode as well LUX will be 10X faster in CPU mode too the beast always runs cool even if you leave it on for days! Like I said I want to get a new notebook when win 10 comes out

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments, Bobvan.

edited April 2015

Cool I just forget how to use 3DL LOL

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Thanks.
    Will try Reality 4 renders a bit later.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Cool I just forget how to use 3DL LOL

Ha, yeah.

I was originally thinking of using 3Delight for certain things in my webcomic and Iray for others, to foster a sense of dreamy elements vs starkly realistic ones.

But getting my workflow and head wrapped around Iray, I realized I didn't want to bother ALSO polishing 3Delight stuff, too.

Also, I realized I could make things dreamy in Iray anyway.

edited December 1969

Yes, her skin looks too shiny, Rogerbee, despite that, I have reduced intensity of Wowie lights by more than 50%.
    Without that, the render was too bright. Need to experiment even more.

edited December 1969

That's often what I like about DS, you never stop experimenting.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

In the end it would mean basically building a new system with a new MB, new CPU, and new memory as my memory kit is tri channel (6 x 2GB) and LGA 1150 boards are 4 slot dual channel. More expense than it is worth.

I ran the intell test even my 3 1/2 i7 notebook passes the requirements. Needless to say the beast (who's already coming up on 2 years) will work. Yeah I know but am I not switching cards. Like I said Lux does alot of stuff I like like being able to set up other renders while rendering adjusting lighting queue rendering ect. As you guys have seen I can make it work.

Edit the pecs on the "beast" looks like it will meet the requirements
    ...yeah in effect, we're both in sort of the same boat.

It would make no sense for you to go Nvida as their OpenCL development is lagging, especially so with the Lux 1.5 render speed boost forthcoming.

For me It would not be cost effective at this juncture to build an entirely new system to support it Yeah, I lose something like 65$ in the deal (what I paid for Reality 1.25 and the two updates), but that's better than shelling out a minimum of 1,000$ to build an Ivy Bridge i7 system to take advantage of the speed boost as well as when Lux GPU rendering does go live.

edited April 2015

Have not rendered in Iray so much recently, so here it go - an Iray render of http://www.daz3d.com/skyship-avrora
    Also used: http://www.daz3d.com/street-rat-the-rat-man
    Rendering Time: 8 minutes 39 seconds

Skyship02pic05.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 322K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

Another Iray render. This time: http://www.daz3d.com/kaiju-the-giant-monster
    Rendering Time: 9 minutes 49 seconds

Kaiju05pic04.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 192K
    edited April 2015

Perhaps it was good to have been forced into a break and missed the glitchy era of Reality 4.

5_by_bobvan-d8pzjfy.png
    1600 x 851 - 3M
    Post edited by Bobvan on