Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    tkdrobert said:

Quick render, done in Iray, using VSS with the usual postwork.

Lovely! I love the match of tone between the hair and skin. I also like the texturing of the clothing. Rarely use Iray until I have a better computer for it.

tkdrobert said:

A redo of an ealier render.  This time, I did that line work myself, using Clip Paint Studio.  Also used CPS to change the background.

I like this redeux of it :). Clip Grab Studios has become very effect program to work with Daz.

sura_tc said:
    tkdrobert said:

I like the shading of the character.  The fire may be too realistic though.  I don't know.  I don't feel I'm good enough to critique anyone else's work.

It was intentional though. I generally dislike full toon scene. I tend to make characters cartoonish and its enviroment semi-real.

This is the character I made in Blender. I originally started with Daz Studio.

She's Cute! I love your design, and in BLender? I'm still working on making models directly from there. I like to see more of your work though :)

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,540
    tkdrobert said:

A redo of an ealier render.  This time, I did that line work myself, using Clip Paint Studio.  Also used CPS to change the background.

I like this redeux of it :). Clip Grab Studios has become very effect program to work with Daz.

Thanks.  I'm still going through tutorials, but I love the custom brushes, the vector layers, and direct draw.  I've read about the rulers, but haven't tried them yet.  I suspect I'll love them too.

Pslocke from X-men. I had a lot of fun with combining sketching and digital art together. I have done several practices of drawing  the art based on manga style shaders and incooperate  it back  to do  the lineart and coloring in Clip Grab Studios, followed by effects in Photoshop.

I always loved Betsy! Great character, and for the time, a rather surprising design (anime was till new to most of us comics fans in the US). I really like most of what you've accomplished here: character design, colors, and love the butterfly effect. I'm not in love with the shadow and the purple glow. Whereas the rest of the image is heading into comic book territory, these look very much like Photoshop effects. Great start, though. I definitely like what I see here.

Thank you, I was debating on the effects myself and wasn't completely satified of just the slap in brushes and randomly use glow effects. come to think of it, I think she's better off without it.

Also, funny you mention about anime, when I started drawing back in highschool I first drew with anime style. Then, around college I picked up the anatomy book and X-men comics and did an overhaul on character concept. With daz3d, I use the 3d modelling to pose and layout clothes before drawing. My goal is to blend 3 artworks into one. 

Strong character design; good angle and use of lighting to convey that he's a strong character. The texture on the hat is too busy when compared to the rest of your style, though. Notice how it gets "spckled" when shrunk down to the smaller size shown here. Have you tried killing the texture and using just color? Nice job. Have you posted any full-body images? If so, I apologize for not remember them right now.

Thanks again! I not sure on the texturing since I have use an asset for the hat. I may do as you suggested and make my own texture using the templates provided. The goal is to use the techniques that brian haberlin used in Anomily and Faster than light, with my own palette and color more vibrant and cell shaded.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

A tiefling for our D&D game. :)

• A tiefling for our D&D game. :)

Very attractive piece. You've achieved a nice painterly look with this one. Just the right amount of detail, I think.

• Pslocke from X-men. I had a lot of fun with combining sketching and digital art together. I have done several practices of drawing  the art based on manga style shaders and incooperate  it back  to do  the lineart and coloring in Clip Grab Studios, followed by effects in Photoshop.

I always loved Betsy! Great character, and for the time, a rather surprising design (anime was till new to most of us comics fans in the US). I really like most of what you've accomplished here: character design, colors, and love the butterfly effect. I'm not in love with the shadow and the purple glow. Whereas the rest of the image is heading into comic book territory, these look very much like Photoshop effects. Great start, though. I definitely like what I see here.

Thank you, I was debating on the effects myself and wasn't completely satified of just the slap in brushes and randomly use glow effects. come to think of it, I think she's better off without it.

Also, funny you mention about anime, when I started drawing back in highschool I first drew with anime style. Then, around college I picked up the anatomy book and X-men comics and did an overhaul on character concept. With daz3d, I use the 3d modelling to pose and layout clothes before drawing. My goal is to blend 3 artworks into one. 

Strong character design; good angle and use of lighting to convey that he's a strong character. The texture on the hat is too busy when compared to the rest of your style, though. Notice how it gets "spckled" when shrunk down to the smaller size shown here. Have you tried killing the texture and using just color? Nice job. Have you posted any full-body images? If so, I apologize for not remember them right now.

Thanks again! I not sure on the texturing since I have use an asset for the hat. I may do as you suggested and make my own texture using the templates provided. The goal is to use the techniques that brian haberlin used in Anomily and Faster than light, with my own palette and color more vibrant and cell shaded.

I can't recall if we've discussed Brian Haberlin's work before (I'm old and I drink too much to keep up with details, I'm afraid), but the Anomaly Webcast he hosted completely changed my product workflow and turned me on the the Live Comic Book Preview available in Poser 11. It's a very liberating toolset and workflow, although it does have its own peculiarities (as does everything creative). I've been using it for a while now and am getting very good results with my noir-inspired looks and characters (I'm going to post a WIP in a moment). One thing that Brian mentioned, and which I think would help you greatly, would be to strip out the bump maps from your textures, especially on the beret. I think that would do wonders to simplify your texture for this character.

And are you following the FASTER THAN LIGHT comic? I've been reading them in trade paperback and have the first two. It's a very enjoyable series. This is almost what Star Trek Enterprise should have been.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,473
    edited August 2017

I'm working on a two-page illustration for a comic fanzine. This will run as the Table of Contents. I'm going to put all the various contents listings in posters stuck to the wall (and possibly some litter on the ground). So, the left side will have the various contents, and the two figures will be on the right. Usual workflow here: Poser 11 using V4 as my base character (lots of morphs) of the International Jewel Thief, Hatta Mari and Predatron's LoRez Masked Hero (with custom textures) for the menacing Moon Wolf.  Live Comic Book Preview renders (multiples, some with the wall and some without) with lots of post work in Manga Studio 5 EX.

Background sky and ground are EXTREMELY fluid right now and very likely will be changed.

Contents_No_Poster.jpg
    1644 x 1270 - 991K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

A tiefling for our D&D game. :)

Very attractive piece. You've achieved a nice painterly look with this one. Just the right amount of detail, I think.

Thank you very much. :)

• sura_tcsura_tc Posts: 174
    edited August 2017

She's Cute! I love your design, and in BLender? I'm still working on making models directly from there. I like to see more of your work though :)

All you need is Blender and ManuelbastioniLAB plug in.

You do need your own hair, clothes, and such but you can use Daz assets (just need .obj exports). For toon characters, this is probably the most painless way. I also do detailed real life characters for sci fi though.

Juan_face_3.png
    300 x 415 - 44K
    Ssiet_face_3.png
    300 x 415 - 76K
    Akatoob_face_1.png
    300 x 415 - 96K
    Post edited by sura_tc on
    edited August 2017

Updated Image. I dumped the sketched ground and added text (in InDesign, which will be publishing to finished book). As you can see, I broke down and decided to add some blue shading for the PDF version. The actual printed book will be in b&w. I'm much happier with the whole illustration, but I think the "Next Issue" text needs a little love, and I may revisit the sky. It seems a bit dull and doesn't bring much to the party, if you know what I mean. I'm going to experiment with making it darker and adding a moon. We'll see if that works, or makes it too busy.

As before, the image was created in Poser 11 using its Live Comic Book Preview, then multiple renders were combined in Manga Studio 5 EX (what some of us are calling Brian Haberlin's Anomoly Technique/Method). Text is added in InDesign.

CCN_121_(07-28-2017).png
    6600 x 5100 - 5M
  • sura_tc said:

All you need is Blender and ManuelbastioniLAB plug in.

You do need your own hair, clothes, and such but you can use Daz assets (just need .obj exports). For toon characters, this is probably the most painless way. I also do detailed real life characters for sci fi though.

Nice character designs. Simple, but effective. I particularly like what you're doing with the hair. 

• sura_tcsura_tc Posts: 174
    edited August 2017

They are from Daz. I exported them as *.obj. Because Daz prodcuts are usually very high poly, I have to reduce the poly count by at least 25% to 50% to make it more toon-like.

Clothes are simple but were made by me by using Blender's skinwrap feature.

Here is a scene I made a while ago.

Untitled.png
    1076 x 830 - 852K
    Post edited by sura_tc on
    edited August 2017

Finished updating my two-page contents illustration. I'm not 100% pleased with the sky, but I've got to call it "done" and move on. I already spent more time on this than I had intended. Nevertheless, I am pretty pleased with how it came out.

Contents_Page_Proof.jpg
    2200 x 1700 - 2M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

Finished updating my two-page contents illustration. I'm not 100% pleased with the sky, but I've got to call it "done" and move on. I already spent more time on this than I had intended. Nevertheless, I am pretty pleased with how it came out.

pretty terrific, love the different textures in places.

and superb how you wrangled a narrative into the Contents Page!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

Just a quick visit to talk up Carrara, we are having another challenge - subject "Muse."

Feel free to join in.

This is what I have been working up, just a detail. The full  piece is 72 by 50.20 cm for a show in January.

This be a paraphrase to The Handmaiden's ( Las Meninas) a 1656 painting  by Diego Velázquez, the leading artist of the Spanish Golden Age.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,427
    head wax said:

Just a quick visit to talk up Carrara, we are having another challenge - subject "Muse."

Feel free to join in.

This is what I have been working up, just a detail. The full  piece is 72 by 50.20 cm for a show in January.

This be a paraphrase to The Handmaiden's ( Las Meninas) a 1656 painting  by Diego Velázquez, the leading artist of the Spanish Golden Age.

Looking good !!!!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,427

Vicky toonified

• Bunyip02 said:

Vicky toonified

nice painting effects. What filters/techniques did you use on this to achieve this look?

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,149

@mmitchell_houston the extra time you took with the contents pages was well spent.  They look really really great.  Really wonderful, creative and well executed.

edited August 2017

@mmitchell_houston the extra time you took with the contents pages was well spent.  They look really really great.  Really wonderful, creative and well executed.

Thank you! It was a bit of work, but I do like how it came together. One thing I had to do was load the image into InDesign, then set the type, and then go back to Manga Studio to adjust the posters so they could hold all the text. I had to go back and forth a few times to get it right.

head wax said:

pretty terrific, love the different textures in places. and superb how you wrangled a narrative into the Contents Page!

Thank you! I really hadn't thought of it that way.

One thing I had to do was create the bug sprayer/pump. I couldn't find one, so I just constructed it in Poser using primative shapes. The whole top assembly is made from six primative cylinders. The bottom container is a pill bottle I found in one of my various props packs. Looking at it, I could have just used more cylinders. I was going to put some text on the bottle lable, but it was too small to be legible, so I cut it. I actually had a hard time thinking of this gag. She's a non-violent criminal, so a gun was out of the question. I thought about a hammer, but that was just too much like Harley Quinn. Then this crossed my mind. Coupled with the comic-style lettering on the sprayer, I think it's pretty funny.

And thanks for noticing the variety of textures. I was experimenting here, and I think it works.

• I just got some swell news! My sketch image of the cops in the woods was just selected by the Renderosity Poser moderator as a "Staff Pick of the Week!"

This is the one we chose to go to print, so the one over at Renderosity doesn't have the text above it.

Congrats

• tkdrobert said:

Congrats

Thanks!

Ron's space brushes are on sale.  Anyone here have them?

• tkdrobert said:

No, but they do look interesting. Not sure I have a need for them, though. I don't have any space projects on the horizon.

edited August 2017
    tkdrobert said:

No, but they do look interesting. Not sure I have a need for them, though. I don't have any space projects on the horizon.

I do a lot of space stuff, but I'm not sure I need them.  I have some space brushes and planet layers already, but not that many..  I'm trying to figure out how good they are to justify buying them.  Also, I'm still pretty new at Photoshop, so I don't know if I can make them look as good as his promo pics.  One thing I like about Clip Paint Studio is that they have brushes that require no special skills.  For example I have a chain engulfed in flames.  I don't have to choose a color or any effects.  I just paint it and I have a chain on fire (like Ghost Rider).  So do I invest in CSP or Photoshop or both?  LOL.  It's a constant back and forth right now.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I have Ron's Space Brushes.  The brushes will also work in Gimp which is the program I use.  I know Ron's brushes work in other 2D programs as well.  The brushes are black outline/transparent type brushes and you would need to color them with however your 2D program of choice manages to do that.  

However, the Space Brushes also come with .asl files which are proprietary to Photoshop and those won't work in any program other than Photoshop as far as I know.  I know they won't work in Gimp.  I'm not sure if the .asl files involve adding color to any of the brushes.  15 fantastic premade background images are also included that Ron made with the brushes and are extremely useful on their own.

I'm going to hold off for now on Ron's Brushes.  I found a ton of free brushes for Manga Studio and Photoshop.  I already spend quite a bit this month.  Maybe next sale.

This discussion has been closed.