Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,540
    edited August 2017

X-Force Alimni.  On this render, I modified the G2F toon skin in Manga Studio.  Cable and Wolverine were done using a new toon sub-shader for G1.  Not sure if I like it better or not.

X-Force Alumni by tkdrobert

Post edited by Chohole on
  • CrescentCrescent Posts: 326
    edited August 2017

Here's a test render of my NPR work - my custom DS shaders and Photoshop actions.

Post edited by Crescent on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,149

@crescent  your image did not post or it is not showing up for me.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,427
    Bunyip02 said:

Vicky toonified

nice painting effects. What filters/techniques did you use on this to achieve this look?

Thanks, FotoSketcher - one of the Watercolor filters.

• tkdrobert said:

I'm going to hold off for now on Ron's Brushes.  I found a ton of free brushes for Manga Studio and Photoshop.  I already spend quite a bit this month.  Maybe next sale.

If you find a fast way to load brushes into Manga Studio, let me know. I found this video on how to load them (not fast, but it did work): http://mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com/2017/05/video-import-multiple-brushes-into.html 

BTW: If you check my blog, there I have a post where I list some cool brushes for Manga Studio. If you can recommend some more, let me know.

• head wax said:

Just a quick visit to talk up Carrara, we are having another challenge - subject "Muse."

Feel free to join in. This is what I have been working up, just a detail. The full  piece is 72 by 50.20 cm for a show in January. This be a paraphrase to The Handmaiden's ( Las Meninas) a 1656 painting  by Diego Velázquez, the leading artist of the Spanish Golden Age.

I am very intrigued by this image, and your post. I like the classic technique of being more abstract on the bodies and providing finer detail on the faces. That's always a good approach. Colors are consistent with the era you cite, as are the poses and body language. Now... that blurred/missing eye... hmmmm. a trifle unsettling, which is probably waht you're going for. And then there's the odd double-face on her mouth. Movement captured, or visual representation of a split in her psyche? Hmmmm. As I said, I'm intrigued.

BTW: How will you produce this at that size for the gallery? In other words, where/how will you be printing this?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited August 2017
    head wax said:

Just a quick visit to talk up Carrara, we are having another challenge - subject "Muse."

Feel free to join in. This is what I have been working up, just a detail. The full  piece is 72 by 50.20 cm for a show in January. This be a paraphrase to The Handmaiden's ( Las Meninas) a 1656 painting  by Diego Velázquez, the leading artist of the Spanish Golden Age.

I am very intrigued by this image, and your post. I like the classic technique of being more abstract on the bodies and providing finer detail on the faces. That's always a good approach. Colors are consistent with the era you cite, as are the poses and body language. Now... that blurred/missing eye... hmmmm. a trifle unsettling, which is probably waht you're going for. And then there's the odd double-face on her mouth. Movement captured, or visual representation of a split in her psyche? Hmmmm. As I said, I'm intrigued.

BTW: How will you produce this at that size for the gallery? In other words, where/how will you be printing this?

thanks ! ah yes, I'm not sure how to present this - I'm trying to bring a new approach to old work - too many choices, I need to bleed out her face but not make it obvious till people look, when the viewer discovers something they didnt expect

they spend more time with the work hopefully 

Unsettling is good, thank you.

I have a printer in Sydney, does fine art prints  for a lot of well known artists. It will be pigment dye print on Hahnemuhle Watercolor Paper - ​.

She is very good, she doesn't lose the details in the darks. http://fineartimaging.com.au/ ; The biggest work she has done for me was 2.2 metre by 92 cm ??? Cant recall.

You can see one here at around the 5.03 mark 

sorry can't get video to show!

https      ://vimeo.com/193235151

Here's a detail of a work - DogWoman - after the Portuguese-born painter  Paula Rego's series.

Neat interview with her here. http://www.thewhitereview.org/interviews/interview-with-paula-rego/

warning adult concepts in her interview

This with corel painter 2018's new thick paint - not sure if I am convinced. V4 as a man with cloth draped with VWD plugin

Post edited by Headwax on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,473
    edited August 2017
    head wax said:
    head wax said:

thanks ! ah yes, I'm not sure how to present this - I'm trying to bring a new approach to old work - too many choices, I need to bleed out her face but not make it obvious till people look, when the viewer discovers something they didnt expect  they spend more time with the work hopefully 

Unsettling is good, thank you.

I have a printer in Sydney, does fine art prints  for a lot of well known artists. It will be pigment dye print on Hahnemuhle Watercolor Paper - ​.

She is very good, she doesn't lose the details in the darks. http://fineartimaging.com.au/ ; The biggest work she has done for me was 2.2 metre by 92 cm ??? Cant recall.

You can see one here at around the 5.03 mark sorry can't get video to show!  https      ://vimeo.com/193235151

Here's a detail of a work - DogWoman - after the Portuguese-born painter  Paula Rego's series.

Neat interview with her here. http://www.thewhitereview.org/interviews/interview-with-paula-rego/

warning adult concepts in her interview

This with corel painter 2018's new thick paint - not sure if I am convinced. V4 as a man with cloth draped with VWD plugin

Heading to bed now (long overdue, to be honest). I will review these videos tomorrow. And the "Dog Woman" detail is fascinating. Thanks for lifting the curtain so we can all get a peek behind the scenes at your process.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    edited August 2017
    tkdrobert said:

I'm going to hold off for now on Ron's Brushes.  I found a ton of free brushes for Manga Studio and Photoshop.  I already spend quite a bit this month.  Maybe next sale.

If you find a fast way to load brushes into Manga Studio, let me know. I found this video on how to load them (not fast, but it did work): http://mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com/2017/05/video-import-multiple-brushes-into.html 

BTW: If you check my blog, there I have a post where I list some cool brushes for Manga Studio. If you can recommend some more, let me know.

All of the space brushes I found last night were through Manga's site.  I did buy a brush set last week.  The set came with instructions for adding them in.  There is no fast way to bring them in.  Also, many of the brushes that I downloaded through Manga were labeled in Japanese.  I had to manually change the names to English.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    edited August 2017

Cover for my first vol 1 graphic novel

Book cover.png
    2100 x 3150 - 7M
    edited August 2017
    tkdrobert said:

X-Force Alimni.  On this render, I modified the G2F toon skin in Manga Studio.  Cable and Wolverine were done using a new toon sub-shader for G1.  Not sure if I like it better or not.

X-Force Alumni by tkdrobert

Love it! Truly awesome on the and color :)

I just got some swell news! My sketch image of the cops in the woods was just selected by the Renderosity Poser moderator as a "Staff Pick of the Week!"

This is the one we chose to go to print, so the one over at Renderosity doesn't have the text above it.

Congratulations!

• BriannahBriannah Posts: 13
    edited August 2017

I have been watching this thread for a while and am very impressed by all the work I see here. I'm currently experimenting with Dogwaffle which has some really nice features. One of my first tries is in my galleries and mmitchell_houston left such a nice comment that I finally dare posting something here as well. I hope you like it.

Sad Waffled 2 Filter 1.jpg
    1569 x 1453 - 450K
    Post edited by Briannah on

It's very pretty.  Don't ever be afraid to post here.  So far, no one here has ever been mean or overly critical.  No trolls allowed.

Glad to hear it. I'm just in awe of what others are doing so I feel a little shy about posting.

I am too, but people in this thread give great advice that will help you grow as an artist.

That's true, I learned a lot already by reading the forums!

• Briannah said:

I have been watching this thread for a while and am very impressed by all the work I see here. I'm currently experimenting with Dogwaffle which has some really nice features. One of my first tries is in my galleries and mmitchell_houston left such a nice comment that I finally dare posting something here as well. I hope you like it.

I am so happy you came by to join us! You are doing beautiful work and I'm sure everyone here is happy to see it. And I know exactly how you feel -- even after all the time, I sometimes feel nervous when sharing new work or when I take a new direction in style or technique. One thing I've learned that all artists share, no matter what medium they choose or what their process is, and that's no one is more critical of our work than we the artists. So, thanks again for coming by. I hope you'll stay for a long time. This is one of my favorite online boards anywhere; I always learn so much and am inspired every time I come here.

• Cover for my first vol 1 graphic novel

Very cool. i do like the simple composition (notice how you can still get the gist of it, even when I shrank it this small). Your text treatment is okay, but I suggest removing the texture from your name. It is diminishing the contrast with the black background and decreasing legibility. And please consider how the slash/cutout is affecting the letter A. I'm not saying it's not attractive or that it doesn't add interest, but the combination of the slash and the darker texture is affecting legibility at small sizes. Just think about it. In general, though, the brighter colors do help convey a sense of desert (by that, I mean her orange headdress and the white on him). This is a good start for a cover. You definitely have some good character designs.

So this is not really an NPR, but I wanted to show you what I did with some of the free brushes I was talking about.  The ship and astroids were all done in DAZ (that ship is awesome BTW, has lots of features; in DAZ store).  The basic starfield background was done using Photoshop.  The stars and clouds in the lower right-hand corner was done using CSP brushes.  The red sun was done with CSP brushes as well,.  Also the light source in Daz came from that spot.  The blue cloud and galaxy are PNG files with transparent backgrounds that I got off the internet.

Space Miner.jpg
    3000 x 2400 - 924K
  • tkdrobert said:

So this is not really an NPR, but I wanted to show you what I did with some of the free brushes I was talking about.  The ship and astroids were all done in DAZ (that ship is awesome BTW, has lots of features; in DAZ store).  The basic starfield background was done using Photoshop.  The stars and clouds in the lower right-hand corner was done using CSP brushes.  The red sun was done with CSP brushes as well,.  Also the light source in Daz came from that spot.  The blue cloud and galaxy are PNG files with transparent backgrounds that I got off the internet.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing the brushes with us. It's nice to see someone using them in action, so to speak. It makes it easier for us to decide if they would be useful to us.

edited August 2017

Okay, let's see if I can post this correctly this time - my DS shaders and Photoshop actions.

Play1-final.png
    600 x 600 - 377K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344

Looks great, Crescent.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,149

Oh yes, it looks hand drawn @crescent. Excellent. 

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,473
    edited August 2017
    Crescent said:

Okay, let's see if I can post this correctly this time - my DS shaders and Photoshop actions.

Very attractive hand-drawn look. The characters are well defined, and I like the range of colors. It would make them very easy to "read" in a comic/graphic novel. There is something a little funky about her left eye (the one to our right). Overall, this has a nice retro look that is very appealing. And I like your choice to use sharp-edged shadows, as opposed to gradients or soft shadows. Although that is a modern trend, that sort of techniq tends to emphasize the figures' 3D origins, if you know what I mean.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited August 2017
    Crescent said:

killer! well worth the sweat (and tears?) spent getting that effect. I'm curious how close you were able to get before the photoshop enhancements were applied. Do you have that pre-PS render available to share?

nice,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
    edited August 2017

Here are the two renders.  Normally one render is fully black and white but something in the scene was determined to cast a blue light and I gave up trying to locate it.  I also have a slightly softer effect - no black outlines.

Play1a-sm.jpg
    600 x 600 - 48K
    Play1b-sm.jpg
    600 x 600 - 34K
    Test3.png
    600 x 600 - 250K
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

that's great magic - thanks for sharing those images!

That girl in blue is striking and overall you've got a great thing going. Do you have a web-page or gallery? I could look at your stuff all day!

more inspiration, thanks,

--ms

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340
    Crescent said:

Here are the two renders.  Normally one render is fully black and white but something in the scene was determined to cast a blue light and I gave up trying to locate it.  I also have a slightly softer effect - no black outlines.

Great stuff, as always, thanks for sharing the picts and the behind-the-scenes info. Feel free to post more. wink

-- Walt Sterdan 

Thanks for the kind comments.  If anyone wants the shaders and PS actions, they're part of my Christmas freebie from 2015.  I just added the newer PS actions to the pack and reuploaded it here:  http://outpostecho.com/downloads/MerryToonMas.zip

This discussion has been closed.