Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

Rendered in 3DL using The Digivault stardome, Genesis1 and pw ghost shader. Some filtering in Gimp.

Wow. This really conveys a "2001: A Space Odyssey" vibe. Great sense of movement. I love it.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    head wax said:

here's an example of NPR rendering in an animation with Carrara. The figure etc was rendered out as a sequenced jpeg, then reimported in the shader room then combined with a multiply operator in the texture channel over the top of a similarly sequenced set of book page images then rendered out again.  Trying for - that hand made look

I'm SUPER impressed! This nails the hand-drawn look perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing the process with us.

thanks, ! glad you survived that horrid storm!

thanks for the headsup on  Akvis sketch , parts of that image truly look handrawn with pencil - must investigate it!

Rendered in 3DL using The Digivault stardome, Genesis1 and pw ghost shader. Some filtering in Gimp.

Wow. This really conveys a "2001: A Space Odyssey" vibe. Great sense of movement. I love it.

Thanks mmitchell!

I live in Finland so I have never experienced anything even close to that hurricane, but it has been on the news here every day, it is very hard to grasp what´s going on

over there, terrible stuff!

I hope you and your family and friends are ok and that you all can leave what has happened behind you as soon as possible!

Best of luck!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344

Great to hear that you and your relatives are ok, mmitchell_houston.

• Work I did for upcoming game supplement from D20Fantasy:

Love these guys. They gave me the assignment 2 days ago, I completed it yesterday, they paid me that night, and this morning are showing it off to fans. ;)

I used to be a freelancer writer ~15 years ago, and it was considerably... less fun. One time a payment was 3 months late, and they shorted me $100. When I asked about it, 'oh, we paid you based on what we decided to use.'

Uh, dudes, no? That's not our contract at all.

'It's standard in the industry!'

Don't miss that nonsense.

That's a cool image.  I like how the sky turned out and its reflections on the armor.

I hope no one minds me fudging the guidelines of this forum to post this: I did not render this image, but I did use Akvis Sketch to turn a news photo into a drawing. I created this to update my blog on how I'm faring in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey (although, technically it was a tropical storm here), and thought you guys might be interested in the sketch effects I used. This is comprised of three layers:

• Blue sky (I just airbrushed some random blue shapes then had Akvis sketch it -- I also enlarged it to give the sky a rougher look; blending = Multiply)
    • Blue sketch (colorized version of the base: I then used a layer mask to apply the blue only to the water areas; blending = Normal)
    • Base sketch (maintained original colors)

BTW: My wife and I are okay. We have some damage to our roof, but nothing major. We've got power, supplies and my wife has returned to work (although she has to take back roads to get there). We live in NW Houston, and this part of town is about 100 miles inland from the Gulf, so we were very, very lucky to have missed the flooding which has devastated this city. The word "devastated" almost doesn't do justice to what it's like here for so many people. I have flooded in the past (lost my home to floodwaters in 2001), so this really hits home (and triggers a lot of anxiety in me, to be honest; it's still very hard to sleep). 

Anyway, I don't want to get maudlin. I just thought some of you might like another look at Akvis Sketch in action, even if it's not on a 3D Render.

That looks very nice.  I love the sketch effects.  It's good to hear that you are okay.  I've seen some video footage of some of the devestation of Houston neighborhoods.  A bunch of islands is right!  I never thought I'd see anything like that in a big city like Houston.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,540

The Skywalker Legacy.

Skywalker Legacy by tkdrobert

• I achieved this yesterday quite by accident while playing with Topaz Simplify over a render.

Little Big Snowstorm.png
    3200 x 1451 - 4M
  • That's lovley @dreamfarmer.  

• Here is my loan shark.  I used topaz filters.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344

Very nice image, dreamfarmer.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340

I achieved this yesterday quite by accident while playing with Topaz Simplify over a render.

Looks good; the only thing I'd try to avoid is a little too much simplification in some spots, like the face of the guy on the floor. Don't forget that you can select (and deselect) parts of a picture before using the filters to concentrate or exclude the effect. If you run the filter more than once, for example, you could run it once and then exclude the face for future applications, or if it's a single application you can deselect the face, run filter, then select just the face and run the filter with a less aggressive setting.

Overall, I love the look, nice job!

-- Walt Sterdan

I didn't know you could select areas.  DOH!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited September 2017

Playing with Filter Forge.

Doctor_sunset03.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 5M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited September 2017
    Vyusur said:

nice work V. :)  The textures are just subtle enough.

Post edited by Headwax on

Thank you, Andrew!

edited September 2017

Anyone tried these yet.? I think I'm going to pick them up the next time they go on sale.

https://www.daz3d.com/v176-toon-textures

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,473
    edited September 2017
    tkdrobert said:

Anyone tried these yet.? I think I'm going to pick them up the next time they go on sale.

https://www.daz3d.com/v176-toon-textures

No, but I do see how they could be useful from this promo pick.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • I got them, but I haven't tried them out yet.  I got it because I have several of the older 3Delight Toon buildings like the Old Shoe House that I'd like to retexture for Iray.  I thought this would work well to do that.  Just haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

They look good.  I do want them.  Hoping they go on sale sometime this month.

• Probably won't until November, alas. I wish I'd been able to grab them before.

Look! More fun with Topaz!

nameless sea-captain.jpg
    3000 x 3000 - 4M

Probably won't until November, alas. I wish I'd been able to grab them before.

Look! More fun with Topaz!

image has a superb finish , Topaz Simplify?

• Vyusur said:

Very nice. I like the way the shadows play across the white textures. I do think there are some issues because you have white on white, but overall this is a nice effect.

mmitchell_houston, thank you a lot!

• Probably won't until November, alas. I wish I'd been able to grab them before.  Look! More fun with Topaz!

Very cool character design. I really like the watercolor effects in the background. But I think we're losing too much detail on his jacket.  I'm not sure what I would suggest, either toning down the simplification, or perhaps adjusting the lighting in the render might let us see the sleeve more clearly. I do like the effect on the neck and face, though; nice job all around.

edited September 2017

Here is my loan shark.  I used topaz filters.

I like the chracter concept A LOT. Loads of personality here. I do have to agree that the face looks a little plastic when compared to the rest of the materials in the image. I would also suggest burning in a little more detail on his right elbow area (his right, not ours) before running the filters. Something I found when working with the India Ink filters (it creates woodcut effects), I found that I often had to "paint" on the original image, creating exagerated shadows to get the post-filter effects I wanted. I'm kind of wondering if that wouldn't help with the Topaz filters. Just something to think about. And you know something, I actually like this smaller than larger! The smaller image here hides some of the things that concern me, and really lets his character and your cool design shine through. Thanks for sharing it with us!

• Using Photoshop for a NPR effect, time to process in photoshop  less then 5 seconds with action scripts. Any critique would be much appreciated. Original and photoshop sample.

santapopup03_santa-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 175K
    santapopup03_santa-daz3d 1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 687K
    edited September 2017

Smugglers Rendezvous

Did some serious experienmentation on this one.  Not sure I like it.  Let me know what you think.

Smugglers Rendezvous by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    edited September 2017

Using Photoshop for a NPR effect, time to process in photoshop  less then 5 seconds with action scripts. Any critique would be much appreciated. Original and photoshop sample.

Overall, it's a good start. The fabric looks okay. You are blowing out the whites, however (losing all detail in the whites, except for the extreme darks). You're also brightening it too much. I suggest that the problem is not your process (scripts), but the source image. Knowing that this is going to significantly brighten your image, you should work at darkening the areas in which you wish to retain detail. To this end, use the burn tool to burn in his beard and cheeks, as well as the trim on his suit. If you start with those areas darker, you will robably wind up with better results.

This ties back to what I said earlier, but I'm going to put it another way. If you are using filters to make extreme changes. I've attached a photo editing example I did a few years ago, but the principles are the same. If you see an area in your image that you really want to come through in the final, "pump it up" before running the filter. In this case, notice the shadow on his shoulder, and the fold in his tie. I really exaggeratd those to make sure the India Ink filter would have something to work with, and thus bring to the final image.

HistoricImage.jpg
    1300 x 377 - 83K
  • head wax said:

image has a superb finish , Topaz Simplify?

My notes say: Glow Wonderland , Simplify Oil Painting, Restyle Cold City Rain, Texture Effects Dreaming In Color.  

And yeah. I need to get better at the use of masking to manage how the effects appear in specific places. 

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2017

A little experiment of mine, trying to teach the filters in Gimp to obey me.

The original is in the 3DL thread.

Gone Fishing abstr.png
    1800 x 1012 - 4M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
This discussion has been closed.