Some Info Regarding VDB Updates For My Volumetric Products

I wanted to jump in and mention some things that will be coming up pretty soon, specifically surrounding the new Daz Studio release with VDB support.

Last October I released the Cloudscape Creator Volumetric Clouds Bundle using geometric cloud props and volume based SSS shaders.  Every cloud in these sets started out as VDB volumes and were converted to polys in a way that Daz Studio liked.  Now that VDBs are supported by default the process is a lot more straight forward and the poly mesh stuff isn't needed, with the VDB format also bringing numerous other benefits.

So I would like everyone to know that all of these products are in the process of being updated to include VDB support.  People whole already purchased the Cloudscape Creator Volumetric products will get the updates for free.  The intention I have is to keep existing poly mesh presets as "legacy installers" to maintain scene compatability for existing users.  There are also a few specific situations where the poly versions can be preferrable.

This has been a pretty huge undertaking for me though.  The original sets took about 3 months and 2 terabytes worth of simulations to get all of the 120 volumes built and ported over.  Ideally I would have been able to just pull VDBs from the original files but it ended up being a lot more complicated than that.  Everything needed refinement and quite a bit needed to be completely rebuilt, promos need to be redone in order to properly reflect what's included etc.  Some did not make the transition to Daz Studio VDB in a way that reflected the quality I wanted and were replaced with brand new clouds in the same style.

I am very close to being done but it will still take some time to get into your hands.  I'm sorry it's not making it out there sooner than it is!

In regardes to my Pyromantix products I am still kind of accessing the viability of building them again as VDBs.  They would certainly all have to be completely redone and most likely wouldn't look the same.  There are ways that I could to go VDB from the existing poly meshes but I would want them to be better than that.  Any Pyromantix sets I do going forward will have VDB support however.

There are a couple of small VDB sets I have on the horizon that I hope people can enjoy in the meantime.  The clouds that will be releasing are a lower priced "sampler platter" of the sort of things you can expect from the Cloudscape Creator update.  Also on the way are a set of rocket trails that I had a lot of fun working on.  I've also been putting together a lot of new ideas that I want to materialize soon!

Thank you all for your patience and support smiley

Comments

• duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585

Thanks for the update!  I can appreciate this is no easy task, and in all honesty it isn't something that I even expected you to do, so I just wanted to reply and show my support.  This is a great example of fantastic customer service and end-user communication, and it's very appreciated :)

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

Amazing that you're releasing the update to the existing product free for us, given the opportunity to simply sell a new product. It's this kind of dedication to your craft and your clients that ensures I'll be back for more!

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109

Thanks for the update, and all your hard work!   Looking forward to the updates and new VDB products!

• Thanks so much! 

• Wow, thank you!

• Thank you so much, your creations are fantastic

• kervalakervala Posts: 184

Thank you so much, I love your products, they are perfect :)

• RL_MediaRL_Media Posts: 339

You are a legend for doing that.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

VERY cool of you!

• DandeneDandene Posts: 162

Thank you for this update!  It's wonderful to see such an awesome product get an update.  I've seen it mentioned many times around the forums lately, so I know it's well loved and that this update is greatly appreciated. heart  

• sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 502

Thank you for doing this. Love the clouds as is and glad they will also have a legacy option included too.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,460

Awesome

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,906
    edited February 2022

I've been meaning to ask... what does VDB stand for?

I know it's probably "Vendor Burned Down"... but I just wanted to check to be sure.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-19 um 01.18.16.png
    1066 x 1258 - 192K
    Post edited by Hylas on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,891
    edited February 2022

Volumetric data....bubble?

edit: ah, here it is, from OpenVDB.org:

Over the years VDB has been interpreted to mean different things, none of which are very descriptive: "Voxel Data Base", "Volumetric Data Blocks", "Volumetric Dynamic B+tree", etc. In early presentations of VDB we even used a different name, "DB+Grid", which was abandoned to emphasize its distinction from similarly named, but different, existing sparse data structures like DT-Grid or DB-Grid. The simple truth is that "VDB" is just a name. :-)

Post edited by Gordig on
  • Gordig said:

Volumetric data....bubble?

edit: ah, here it is, from OpenVDB.org:

Over the years VDB has been interpreted to mean different things, none of which are very descriptive: "Voxel Data Base", "Volumetric Data Blocks", "Volumetric Dynamic B+tree", etc. In early presentations of VDB we even used a different name, "DB+Grid", which was abandoned to emphasize its distinction from similarly named, but different, existing sparse data structures like DT-Grid or DB-Grid. The simple truth is that "VDB" is just a name. :-)

I doubt it will be as popular as Henry or Charlotte but who knows with today's new parents wink 

• Very much appreciated, Thanks for your efforts

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

@DimensionTheory said.  People whole already purchased the Cloudscape Creator Volumetric products will get the updates for free.  The intention I have is to keep existing poly mesh presets as "legacy installers" to maintain scene compatability for existing users.

Thank you for both the update and the preservation of legacy assets.  Much appreciated.

• galiengalien Posts: 137

Thanks for the update.

The new volumetric clouds in the update are really good.

• Thanks for the kind words everyone!

The updated cloud presets are available now.  I thought they would take a bit longer to get through QA but everything is ready for download.  Just update your product files the same way you would any other product.

I tried to get the legacy files separate installers but apparently there was a meta data issue with doing it that way.  So I apologize for the large downloads!  Everything is coming together in the same install.

If you would like some more info and renders the product pages have been updated with what's included and extra promos.

https://www.daz3d.com/cloudscape-creator-volumetric-clouds-bundle

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

The new update is truly wonderful! I am so excited to use these new clouds in scenes! Cloudscape is an amazing resource with many great options, I am exceedingly glad I made this bundle purchase of your volumetric clouds! I'm looking forward to older product updates if you make them and any new ones you create as well! I don't mind if the older products are changed in ways, they would probably be much better, (as nice as they are now). Volumes are a blast to work with! Best to you and thanks for the free update, I am sure you invested a lot of time in the overhaul! Excellent work! yessmiley

• UthgardUthgard Posts: 853

I hadn't bought this bundle at the time because I already had your other cloud products and my computer struggles enough as it is, but when I saw you'd be updating it I hurried to get it as soon as I could. So, you know, your generosity and hard work are very appreciated.

• 3D-GHDesign3D-GHDesign Posts: 678

Thank you to take your time and for your effort to make it available! I have the older cloudscape creators (not volumetric sadly) and the volumetric ones were already wishlisted, so those are in my cart now. Can't wait for the pyromatrix updates though, so they will pup up in DIM in the future :D Really good news, thank you again!!!!! Really appreciate!

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,557

I'm a little bit confused, sorry. I owned the original non-VDB bundle and just bought the VDB bundle about 8 days ago because I figured it would not be a free update (because that would be asking a lot, lol). I currently have both bundles installed separately; but if DIM isn't showing any updates for me, can I assume that they are both up-to-date? Just wasn't sure if they needed to be un/reinstalled if they're combined in one bundle now. Thanks very much.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,440

SnowSultan said:

I'm a little bit confused, sorry. I owned the original non-VDB bundle and just bought the VDB bundle about 8 days ago because I figured it would not be a free update (because that would be asking a lot, lol). I currently have both bundles installed separately; but if DIM isn't showing any updates for me, can I assume that they are both up-to-date? Just wasn't sure if they needed to be un/reinstalled if they're combined in one bundle now. Thanks very much.

There are two different bundles, the original non-volumetric (multi-billboard) style (Cloudscape Creator Bundle), and the volumetric style (Cloudscape Creator Volumetric Clouds Bundle) which originally had only mesh-based clouds. I imagine that the former won't be updated, as it is not the same concept, but the latter was updated to add the .vdb versions of the mesh clouds.

OK, well now I'm actually more confused than before.  ;)    Does anyone know when the Volumetric Clouds Bundle received the free VDB update? I'm trying to figure out if I bought something that should have been free or did I buy it after the update. Thanks.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,440

DIM says package date 2022-03-01, so, a month ago. I bought it after the update, but it is all the same SKU, so I imagine it was a free update. The price has not changed since it was released.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,314

According to the ReadMe, March 1st (though DimensionTheory didn't post that they were available until March 4th - scroll up to see that post)

Thank you, then I bought it after the update.