mding recommends

https://www.daz3d.com/alien-styles-hair-for-genesis-8-females

maybe they can share some renders too enlightened

• mdingmding Posts: 1,146

WendyLuvsCatz said:

mding recommends

https://www.daz3d.com/alien-styles-hair-for-genesis-8-females

maybe they can share some renders too enlightened

Hi @WendyLuvsCatz, thanks for adding it! I can't recommend that hair as i don't own it, i only mentioned it because it has specific Filament versions, so it was created not only for iray but also for filament. But still I guess it therefore belongs into this thread.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,933
    edited April 2022

well I guess I can add these shaders to the list, are in my wishlist 

https://www.daz3d.com/fsl-realistic-hair-shaders-for-iray-and-filament

I am on a journey of discovery here, still looking for good hair options rather than dressing all my characters in hoods and hats laugh

this hair I don't have should work too

https://www.daz3d.com/nata-toon-hair-for-genesis

as would any solid toon hairs

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited April 2022

XinXin hair was used for some of this video in the Filament shots

https://www.daz3d.com/xinxin-for-aiko-3

(is not all Filament lots of Carrara 2:18 and Octane too, but mostly Filament)

I have 4 of those yes

Review: SY Filament Friendly Hairs Genesis 8 PART ONE and TWO (sharecg.com)

In order to avoid the current opacity mask problem in DAZ Filament, Sickle Yield has developed a hair bundle which is based completely on geometry and doesn’t use any textures.

The hair bundle contains:

5 hairs and a hair cap for G8F and G8M

2 hairs consist of the hair base with 2 bun- and 1 tail- addons

3 adjustment settings (less shiny, more shiny, alternate specular IRAY) and

11 color presets for the hairs and the hair cap (black, blonde, blue, brown dark, brown medium, ginger 1 + 2, grey, green, white and yellow)

Although the hair was created with DAZ Filament in mind, it includes both IRAY and Filament materials.

Part ONE and TWO both together form this product. They both have to be bought in order to use the bundle. This is due to the large file size of the bundle which had to be split into 2 parts.

My impression:

A hair based completely on geometry of course won’t look as perfect as e.g. an OOT IRAY hair product. But it successfully overcomes the opacity problem, for which Sickle Yield really has to be commended. As usual in Filament, some tweaking on the hair surfaces and the lighting is necessary, also adding some lights, turning the hair cap on / off and trying subD can be helpful.

All renders used in this review were created without any postwork (not even Filament layer postwork, just a scene rendered):

Then there is the option of mixing with other (normal) hairs:

Each hair includes an impressive 10 to 13 style morph dials and plenty additional adjustment dials making it incredibly versatile.

Conclusion: This bundle is HUGE – you get a lot! And as long as the current opacity mask problem in DAZ Filament isn’t solved, this hair can save the user a lot of time (and nerves), so I recommend it to everybody, who wants or has to rely completely on DAZ Filament.

1.png
    1009 x 523 - 337K
    2.png
    1207 x 609 - 530K
    portr2v2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    portr3v1.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    portr4v2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    portr5v1.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    edited May 2022

looks great, I actually grabbed the Filament hair shaders today

will look into those probably next payday 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

looks great, I actually grabbed the Filament hair shaders today

will look into those probably next payday 

I like the Filament hair shaders, but they can't handle the opacity mask problem, thats why I didn't make a review yet... 

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Just to add that any modern SBH or dForce hair will work fine in filament. Just avoid the "old" transmapped.

• BHudsonBHudson Posts: 0

mding said:

Review: SY Filament Friendly Hairs Genesis 8 PART ONE and TWO (sharecg.com)

In order to avoid the current opacity mask problem in DAZ Filament, Sickle Yield has developed a hair bundle which is based completely on geometry and doesn’t use any textures.

I shelled out for this last year and it turned out to be a great investment. I use it exclusively as a base in conjunction with transmapped iray-shaded hair products. While it can take some work getting the shape and shading right it's the best solution I've found yet.

The FSL filament hair shader set complements the SY product well when it comes to getting the colors to match. It also automatically turns the opacity up to 2 on all surfaces, which helps with transparency but isn't usually a solution on its own.

edited May 2022

Padone said:

Just to add that any modern SBH or dForce hair will work fine in filament. Just avoid the "old" transmapped.

Thanks for the suggestion, @Padone! My problem is a grainy look i get from dforce hair (quick render):

I added a filament hair cap and used FSL Filament hair shaders and overall the result is better than with old transmapped hair, but still i can't get rid of that grainy look - any ideas?

5.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by mding on

BHudson said:

I shelled out for this last year and it turned out to be a great investment. I use it exclusively as a base in conjunction with transmapped iray-shaded hair products. While it can take some work getting the shape and shading right it's the best solution I've found yet.

The FSL filament hair shader set complements the SY product well when it comes to getting the colors to match. It also automatically turns the opacity up to 2 on all surfaces, which helps with transparency but isn't usually a solution on its own.

Could you share a render?  I won't expect perfection in Filament, but am really curious smiley