Render speed

Hi guys. I recently updated my graphics card and RAM so my computer consists of Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB
Device ID DF02D332-E1D7-402B-AAD6-ACB258816FAC
Product ID 00342-20701-73898-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor and a 4060 Nvidia Graphics card. At first my renders sped ujp to completion in 10 -15 minutes, but now have slowed to 2 hrs+  I've unchecked the CPU box (Devices) in the advanced rendering to no effect as the system is still using that instead of the graphics card. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,969

First, the time it takes to render a scene will vary depending on the number of objects in the scene, the number of texture maps, the lighting, and other factors like those. Second, you may have unchecked CPU in the devices, but have you also unchecked CPU fallback? If the scene you're rendering exceeds your VRAM, it will fall back to the CPU unless you have specifically told the program not to.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,673

Unchecking CPU in devices list is not relevant... check if you ticked Allow CPU Fallback. It seems that you ran out of VRAM. Install GPU-Z to monitor VRAM used and check your DS log if there's message related to VRAM is not enough... fallback to CPU, etc.

• ratadanratadan Posts: 4

Thanks...done and tested, renders back to 10-15 minutes. Life is no longer a drudgery!  My thanks to you both.