really like the look of the bangs in the promo for dForce Strand-Based Autumn Style Bob Hair for Gen

estheresther Posts: 624

[really like the look of the bangs in the promo for dForce Strand-Based Autumn Style Bob Hair for Gen] by outoftouch

would there be a way to make the rest of the hair invisible so i could use those dforce bangs with some of my other hair products eg long braids?

Love esther

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,247

Moved to Techncial Help as it is a quesdtion about a specific product (and sorry, I am not certain of the answer - other then manually editing the density maps in an image editor)

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,755
    edited October 19

The generation mode of this SBH is Root Radius rather than Target Surfaces... so there's neither settings of reducing length nor density maps, etc., let alone there's no preset surface for Bangs either.

In my exp. you have no way to make it as you wish unless you convert it to polygonal hair and modify its geometry surfaces to separate the bangs... but that'll be pretty difficult ~~

Post edited by crosswind on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 24,175
    edited October 19

It is not difficult to morph a dForce root radius hair. I made this quick morph to scale the back of the hair down and move it inside the G9 head, as an example. I wrote up these instructions a couple years ago and posted in some forum thread. These reference G8, but the technique still worked today in DS 4.23.0.4 with G9 and the Autumn Style Bob hair strands.

I don't know if all these settings are critical or not, but this is what works for me:

1.     Load G8F
    2.     Select G8F and a load dForce hair (I'm using dForce Neroli Hair).
    3.     In the Scene pane, select dForce hair object (not the cap).
    4.     In Parameters pane, make sure Generate PS Hairs, Generate PR Hairs and Preview PR Hairs are On. Make sure Line Tessellation is >0? It is 3 on the hair I am using.
    5.     Zero out any morphs in the dForce hair that are set when the hair is loaded.
    6.     Select the Geometry Editor Tool.
    7.     Hide everything except dForce hair object in the Scene pane.
    8.     Export to OBJ.
    9.     Import OBJ to modeler (Blender, etc.) modify and export modified OBJ.
    10.     Back in DS with dForce hair object still selected and Geometry Editor tool still selected, run Morph Loader Pro.
    11.     In Morph Loader Pro, load the modified hair OBJ and create the morph.
    12.     Save the morph as a morph asset.

Instead of editing an OBJ in a modeler, you can drape the hair with dForce and export that as an OBJ. Clear the simulation, and import the OBJ with Morph Loader Pro. Save the morph as a morph asset.

Remember to select a tool other than Geometry Editor or Mesh Grabber before rendering.

Autumn Style Bob Hide Non-Bangs.png
    2000 x 1500 - 769K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited October 19

Aha ~ you just "shrank" the strands into the head ~ Good idea !!  I can't believe I never thought of that, haha ~ !! laugh  If so, may I add a couple of suggestions ?

- You don't have to turn on Preview PR + changing Line Tessellation...  just export SBH to OBJ with Geo-Editor activated, and no need to hide other items but just use Filter Objects > Selected Roots when exporting to OBJ.
    - If one doesn't know Blender or any modeling software, deforming the SBH with two D-Formers in DS will also do ~ maybe even quicker... (roughly done as below ~)

SNAG-2024-10-20-020.png
    2560 x 1392 - 679K
    SNAG-2024-10-20-021.png
    2560 x 1392 - 2M
    edited October 19

This was a good idea @esther. Here I combined the Autumn Bob bangs with Cheyenne Braids.

Autumn Bob bangs added to Cheyenne Braids_001_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M

crosswind said:

Aha ~ you just "shrank" the strands into the head ~ Good idea !!  I can't believe I never thought of that, haha ~ !! laugh  If so, may I add a couple of suggestions ?

- You don't have to turn on Preview PR + changing Line Tessellation...  just export SBH to OBJ with Geo-Editor activated, and no need to hide other items but just use Filter Objects > Selected Roots when exporting to OBJ.
    - If one doesn't know Blender or any modeling software, deforming the SBH with two D-Formers in DS will also do ~ maybe even quicker... (roughly done as below ~)

Thanks for the updates. I think some of those options might not have existed when I wrote those instructions two and a half years ago. Good to know it is easier now, or that I made it harder than necessary back then.

@crosswind I made my morphs on the Autumn Style Bob Hair Strands object. The other morphs for the product appear on the Autumn Style Bob Hair (parent) object. How would I make my morphs appear with the others? Do I have to create an alias or something?

Ah... right ~ Filter Objects was given since 4.15,  IIRC ~~

edited October 19

barbult said:

@crosswind I made my morphs on the Autumn Style Bob Hair Strands object. The other morphs for the product appear on the Autumn Style Bob Hair (parent) object. How would I make my morphs appear with the others? Do I have to create an alias or something?

Yea, you can create an Alias on its Parent but has to be on a sub-Node ~~ Better create a Control morph on Bob Hair with ERC linked to the morph on Strands, then hide the morph on Strands, just like what OOT did ~

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Yea, you can create an Alias on its Parent but has to be on a sub-Node ~~ Better create a Control morph on Bob Hair with ERC linked to the morph on Strands, then hide the morph on Strands, just like what OOT did ~

Great! Thanks for the help.

edited October 20

I made another combo with the Messy Low Ponytail and the Autumn Bob Bangs.I ran into a problem that Visuimag helped me resolve. When there are two strand-based hairs in the scene (in my case on the same G9), the material presets for the second hair won't work. There is no error message displayed or in the log. The color just doesn't change. I ended up applying an Omni Hair SHADER to both hairs, which was better for color consistency anyway.

P3D Ursula Messy Ponytail Autumn Bob Bangs Revolution Omni Shader_Camera 1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M

Here are the two morphs I created for the Autumn Style Bob Hair on G9. One hides all the non-bangs hair inside the head. The other flattens to top of the bangs a bit to blend better with lower profile hairs. Hopefully I packaged it correctly. Unzip the file and copy the files in the Content folder into your library. Do not copy the whole Content folder itself, only the data folder inside of it.

zip
    zip
    Autumn Style Bob Hair Morphs.zip
    5M