The I Wanted Mousse But Got A Moose Instead Complaint Thread.

Comments

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. Quiet and cold as a graveyard and not much difference between night and light this first day of winter here :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    ps1borg said:

Morning. Quiet and cold as a graveyard and not much difference between night and light this first day of winter here :)

blue pumpkin time? 

MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

never heard anybody say jolly good.  

I say it all the time ;)

MistyMist said:

who is above the admiral in a royal navy?  would it be the prime minister?  are there levels of minister?

mebbe i should watch reruns of 'yes, minister' smiley  

The next rank up from admiral is Admiral of the Fleet. It's equivalent to Field Marshal in the army (NATO code OF-10). There is no higher rank, and it's largely ceremonial in peacetime (currently Prince Charles and Lord Boyce are admirals of the fleet). In overall charge of the navy is the First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff (1SL/CNS). An admiral. He sits on the Defence Council and the Admiralty Board.

The first sea lord reports to the Chief of Defence Staff (also an admiral, general or air chief marshal), who reports to the Secretary of State for Defence (a government minister)

There's a good line in one of the "Yes, Prime Minister" episodes where it's explained while talking about government waste, that in the British navy there are (a great large number) of Admirials and only (a miniscule number of ships). frown  (sorry I can't find the exact quote)

thanks!
    First sea lord sounds like a kewl title.

MistyMist said:
    ps1borg said:

blue pumpkin time? 

been out in the garden so fingers are like lil blue pumpkins :)

is it redbull cliff diving time?  angel

sooo sleeeepyyyy

edited June 2016

MistyMist said:

is it redbull cliff diving time?  angel

sooo sleeeepyyyy

June 4 in Texas 

http://www.redbullcliffdiving.com/en_INT/event/texas-2016?tab=live

eta heh geoblcked for the USA

Post edited by ps1borg on

21st Century France imagined in halftone:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:France_in_XXI_Century_(fiction)

bus.jpg
    800 x 521 - 159K
    edited June 2016

well really screwed that up, the URL will work copypasta

Post edited by ps1borg on
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    ps1borg said:

What, they don't ride inside the whale?  :P

Looks like a pretty cool fantasy concept there though with the little sub-thing being strapped to it  *ideas start coming in*

Rezca said:
    ps1borg said:

Looks like a pretty cool fantasy concept there though with the little sub-thing being strapped to it  *ideas start coming in*

Nobody wants to be a Jonah hey :)

ps1borg said:
    Rezca said:
    ps1borg said:

critter needs a lot of tooth floss.  

cucumber happy nomms on cream cheese sammich laugh

feelin a bit brain dead today.  

there's like a whole alphabet of alchemy symbols?
    not finding a font 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    MistyMist said:

there's like a whole alphabet of alchemy symbols?
    not finding a font 

Haven't tried these.

http://www.alchemylab.com/fonts.htm

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,166
    edited June 2016
    MistyMist said:
    ps1borg said:
    Rezca said:
    ps1borg said:

critter needs a lot of tooth floss.  

That's not teeth you are seeing.  It's something called a baleen...plates of fingernail-like material on their upper jaws.  They use them to push water out after taking a huge gulp...leaving thousands of krill, which they then swallow..   http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/blue-whale/

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on

thanks!  

thoughts still dwelling on snafu scenearios. indeed. 'indeed' a good word for ministers speak. 

taste test
    raisinette raisins vs starbucks chocolate covered raisings ... 

decided ise not a fan of the stella atois  tastes like fizzie lime-o-nade

lime in da coconut

beer isnt fattening is it? 

is so humid in my office paper is curling.  it's not even 12pm?  omg

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,436
    edited June 2016
    MistyMist said:

Not if you drink enough of it fast enough.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,928
    DanaTA said:
    Petercat said:

I'm in a quandry:  I have two more computers that are capable of running Windows10 and I hate to pass up the opportunity to update them while it's free.  Yet I hate to give up my access to a working Vista system and a working Win7-Pro system.  I think what I'm going to do is order a couple of hard drives in a thoughtful manner and give myself the ability to either setup dual bootable OS's or just simply clone the primary drive of each and then set the old drive aside and upgrade the new clone to Win10.  However, I'm not sure Win10 will permit dual boot (Win7-Pro/Win10-Pro) or (Vista-Home/Win10)* anybody know?

* Yes, I know Vista isn't directly eligible for upgrade to Win10 but I also have a Win7 upgrade kit that hasn't been used yet.  I can use it to upgrade Vista-->Win7-->Win10

The question is whether Windows 10 will do the things that you want to do better than the other two systems. If you're well served by them, then there's no need to change. Windows 10 does have drawbacks that the other two don't have, like spyware and forced updates.

Remember, the cheese is only free when it's attached to a trap.

All those privacy concerns have been dealt with...you can now turn off every one of those things.  Diane accidentally clicked on the button and our laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1.  I went through it and turned off every one of those things that sends info.  I wonder who at Microsoft thought it was a good idea, in this day of hacks and breaches, to let a stranger download updates from my personal computer?  Can you say back door?  laugh 

I have read that it is more stable.  I just don't want to upgrade if there are things that I have that will no longer run.  As for forced updates...with the Pro version you can delay the update for a given period of time...months, if I remember correctly.  That will give enough time for the bugs that ride along to be crushed.  Only the Home version owners have no choice.  I would never put a Home version on my computer.  The laptop came with Win 8 Home, so nothing I could do there.

Dana

...but in the end you still have to accept the update whether you want/need it or not. That's maybe fine for the casual user with the Home Edition who doesn't have the savvy for maintaining his/her system.  Those of us who do should not be penalised because of that. At the very least the Pro Edition should offer the same options all previous version of the OS have to allow for manual updating, as well as totally disabling (not just "turning off") features one doesn't need or want (like Cortana which still runs in background when turned off and is triggered back to "on" status with some updates).

Certainly not going to pay 199$ without being able to have more control over what goes on my system.  Yeah I know it is still free for another two months, but it's nothing more than a "beta test" that potentially could put my system at risk.

edited June 2016
    Rezca said:
    DanaTA said:
    Petercat said:
    Remember, the cheese is only free when it's attached to a trap.

So, you consider DAZ|Studio 4.x cheese in a trap?

Dana

It makes you want to buy content! Lots and lots of content!!

..and doesn't let you work on scenes created in the new version if you roll back as well as sometimes breaking things (like what 4.7 did to AoA's Advanced Lights, Atmospheric, and Graphic Art cameras).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    MistyMist said:

...actually what is fattening are all the foods that many eat along with drinking beer like pretzels, crisps, pizza, most happy hour food, etc.

...well the airport didn't concur, but most other locations in the city (where most people actually live and work) were somewhere in the 90s yesterday. The local weather station in my 'hood recorded a high of 99°. A little "moderation" the next few days then 100°+ Satruday & Sunday.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,098

My new hdd should be arriving soon aka sometime today soon not day soon.

• kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:

...actually what is fattening are all the foods that many eat along with drinking beer like pretzels, crisps, pizza, most happy hour food, etc.

Beer contains quite a lot of calories in its own right.

Morning. Inky dark quiet and two jumper cool a little before dawn  here :)

My new hdd is getting closer to my home.   Soon I will be setting it up.

kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:

Beer contains quite a lot of calories in its own right.

...well the "good ones" do, bet adding all those other calories only makes the matter worse.

My new hdd is getting closer to my home.   Soon I will be setting it up but not unless I get tired and go to bed soon.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

All too true. crying

It been two hours since the last update on my package.  It says it is out for delivery but no sign of it yet.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321

It been two hours since the last update on my package.  It says it is out for delivery but no sign of it yet.

I seem to be at the end of every delivery person's route. Packages usually arrive between 6 and 8pm. I'm expecting the second-to-last delivery of my build parts tomorrow. I still need the SSD and video card.

The card that I was going to buy went up $60.00 after midnight the day my check hit the bank. :(

This discussion has been closed.