The I Wanted Mousse But Got A Moose Instead Complaint Thread.

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

gave in to temptation on the everyday tea set
    space pirates need their tea too

this is a real thing?  https://www.daz3d.com/portuguese-man-o-war

for years i thought this a creature.  was too weird to be real

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. Blue sky and bright sun chasing overcast grey away to the north so far today :)

edited May 2016
    MistyMist said:

Yes is a jellyfish, big one from memory :)

mow.jpg
    236 x 345 - 16K
    Post edited by ps1borg on
    MistyMist said:

no squirrels in Oz?  so who plants the acorns?

Native trees typically seed from pods that explode in heat sending seeds to drift around in the air :)

Serpent said:

Serpent has been very busy with a new music project, and playing comedian in online chat!

This isn't the project, just an experiment: https://soundcloud.com/synthetic_aurality/click-driven-delta

I'm working on a soudtrack for an animation that doesn't exist... tough job.. surprise

I just finished an animation for a non existant soundtrack (and the director didnt want to cut on a beat ! ) so some symmetry there :)

kyoto kid said:

...Complaint

Too bloody many hotkeys in apps today.  Was entering a post on another thread when my thumb grazed the "ctl" key at the same time and FF shut down. Lost everything I wrote. angry

..and still not happy that this spell checker refuses to flag misspelled words smaller than four characters.

Google is telling me iz safe internet day so maybe iz safe to use a control key again ?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,163
    Serpent said:

Serpent has been very busy with a new music project, and playing comedian in online chat!

This isn't the project, just an experiment: https://soundcloud.com/synthetic_aurality/click-driven-delta

I'm working on a soudtrack for an animation that doesn't exist... tough job.. surprise

Sounds near impossible!  Sort of like writing software with no specs yet!  Hello, world?   laugh

Dana

Tjohn said:

To infinty! And stuck..

laugh  laugh  laugh 

Dana

MistyMist said:

I've known about them for decades!  Very real and very poisonous!

Dana

Sorry you didn't have such a great day there, LeatherGryphon!  frown

Dana

DanaTA said:
    Serpent said:

Sounds near impossible!  Sort of like writing software with no specs yet!  Hello, world?   laugh

Dana

Yet that's what the entertainment industry is like 99% of the time ;)

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:

To infinty! And stuck..

laugh  laugh  laugh 

Dana

To quote that one episode of the animated series:  "To infinity, and EVEN FURTHER!"  cheeky

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,924
    Tjohn said:

To infinty! And stuck..

...infinite loop, must be something wrong in the coding.

edited May 2016

Complaint:  Wanted to go somewhere semi-far and almost interesting this weekend so I drove to the upper end of the lake (about 20 miles) to go to my favorite little old-fashioned diner to get one of their handmade chocolate milkshakes made the old way with real ice cream, milk and a 70 year old milkshake blender using a big metal cup that pours out into two big glasses of lumpy chocolate heaven.  Just like I remember when I was a kid.  I got seated, made my choice of hamburger and chocolate shake, potato chips and pickle and settled down to wait for a memory.  Then the waitress comes back and says, "Sorry, we're out of ice cream".    ARGHHHH! surprisecrying  Makes me wonder who's in charge of food ordering for them now.   Which genius couldn't plan on extra ice cream for Memorial Day weekend?  And so what if you run out?  You're across the street from a grocery store.  Come on people, grow a brain!   Where's Gordon Ramsay when you need him?  I cancelled my meal, said in no uncertain words loud enough to be heard by the entire dining room, that the only reason I'd come there was for the milkshake, and walked out. 

Then I went to my next favorite old-timey restaurant on the lake near the old-timey ferry and cruised around the old-timey town for 20 minutes unable to find a parking place. sad

Then I gave up on having a special meal and slunk back into the city and found the local "Applebee's" franchise and ordered something chicken.  It came out from the kitchen half black with burnt fat. angry  If I'd wanted charcoal I'd have gone to the hardware store and bought a bag.  Also, the waitress was one of those uber happy, Chatty Cathy people that crawl under my skin.  If she wasn't jabbering at me she was jabbering at another table.  Half way through my meal she tried to grab my still half full water glass again and fill it yet again but that was too much so I  barked "Leave it alone!". frown When I was ready to leave, I sat for 10 minutes watching her stand and chat at another table until she finally turned around and I wagged my credit card in her direction.  I was tempted to actually honestly answer her scripted question "How was everything?" but just mumbled an annoyed "tolerable", paid my bill and left.

Moral of story: Hermits don't do well in public. devil 

...I hear you on that.  Driving 20 miles for nothing, yeah I'd be  just a bit irritated.

Definitely rant worthy.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    Serpent said:

...very sinister.  This would work well for some of the Shadowrun (A Cyber-future RPG) scenarios I've been in.

...well, the BBQ was great.  Many burgers and bratwursts crisps and other goodies. Came home feeling like I don't need to eat for at least another day.  Actually laid down and dozed off for almost two hours when I got home, feeling like the proverbial snake that swallowed a very huge critter.  Didn't help matters as I also had a couple big bottles of strong beers, one IPA that was 8.2% the other a strong German Pilsner and the day turned out a bit warm.

Of course now my sleep schedule is a bit thrown off as I woke up a little past 22:00. Fortunately only have to meet with a friend in the afternoon (oh, it is already Monday here, fancy that) who is helping me with my Disability claim to give her a few more details.

Nice cool night for sleeping but soon going to get hot hot hot with temps in the upper 80s to low 90s with upper 90s expected by next weekend. Wouldn't be shocked to see triple digits in June the way the weather has been here so far.

Rezca said:
    DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:

To infinty! And stuck..

laugh  laugh  laugh 

Dana

To quote that one episode of the animated series:  "To infinity, and EVEN FURTHER!"  cheeky

Yeah that door must go somewhere...

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,071

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,428
    edited May 2016
    ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:

Yes is a jellyfish, big one from memory :)

When I lived near the beach in Florida east coast we used to get invasions of these every couple of years or so.  They're not really huge in comparison to how big some species of jellyfish can get but all along the beach you'd all of a sudden see a field of these blue blobs washed up on the sand.  Their gas filled balloons make them float on the surface and their "sail" causes them to drift in packs with the wind.  The blobs would be anywhere from 2 or3 inches to perhaps 6 or 7 inches across.  You had to be careful to not walk barefoot on their trailing tenticles. And of course accidentally finding them in the water was no fun either.  Unless, of course, you were a teenager which compelled you to poke and prod them until someone got hurt.  The invasion might last a couple of days.  Then after a few days more the crabs and rot and tide would usually take care of them.  (the blobs, not the teenagers.  more's the pity)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited May 2016
    ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:

no squirrels in Oz?  so who plants the acorns?

Native trees typically seed from pods that explode in heat sending seeds to drift around in the air :)

Hmmm, our trees (maples in particular) make little helicopters for their seeds.  Not very efficient though.  Needs a design change.

edited May 2016
    DanaTA said:

Dana

The day wasn't a total loss.  There was one bright spot (well, two).  Before I got to the ill-fated restaurant I had stopped in a tiny town next to the lake to browse at the locally famous fleamarket that opens on Memorial Day weekend to see if I could find something particular I'd been wanting and knew that I could get one for $$ on-line but hoped I could get one for $ at the fleamarket.  And sure enough in only 5 minutes of wandering I found it.  A deep Corning Corel 2.5 quart casserole dish with cover.  New Corningware is expensive, but I picked up this gem for $8. smiley  It has no chips but does have a couple of aluminum marks (from cheap utensiles) on the inside white surface but they'll come out with some dedicated effort. yes Then after I got home I went grocery shopping and picked up a half a watermelon which I immediately prepared and stuck the pieces into my new 2-qt casserole dish.  The watermelon has to be one of the best watermelon I've had in years.  It's so ripe it practically explodes in my mouth with intense flavor. smiley  Yea!  But I'm going to have to eat it all up in the next day or so. 

cw_blue_cornflower_stovetop_3L_sq_casserole_bf-3c-b.jpg
    256 x 256 - 3K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,071
    DanaTA said:

Dana

The day wasn't a total loss.  There was one bright spot (well, two).  Before I got to the ill-fated restaurant I had stopped in a tiny town next to the lake to browse at the locally famous fleamarket that opens on Memorial Day weekend to see if I could find something particular I'd been wanting and knew that I could get one for $$ on-line but hoped I could get one for $ at the fleamarket.  And sure enough in only 5 minutes of wandering I found it.  A deep Corning Corel 2.5 quart casserole dish with cover.  New Corningware is expensive, but I picked up this gem for $8. smiley  It has no chips but does have a couple of aluminum marks (from cheap utensiles) on the inside white surface but they'll come out with some dedicated effort. yes Then after I got home I went grocery shopping and picked up a half a watermelon which I immediately prepared and stuck the pieces into my new 2-qt casserole dish.  The watermelon has to be one of the best watermelon I've had in years.  It's so ripe it practically explodes in my mouth with intense flavor. smiley  Yea!  But I'm going to have to eat it all up in the next day or so. 

Picturing a mushroom cloud of teeth and watermelon seeds. devil

Cheers!  

not quite noon, dont think stella will mind an early ssippss

Serpent said:

Hmmm...The Making of a Madman - or, The Chinese Water Torture.   laugh

Dana

DanaTA said:

Dana

Glad there was some good in the day!

Dana

edited May 2016

Most supermarket watermelons these days don't have viable seeds.  Much like grapes, corn, and many other crops.  After the bombs drop or the meteor hits, vegetables will be hard to find.  We'll just have to eat each other. surprise

I marvel that I have grown up in such a privileged world.  But I thank my lucky stars that I'm old enough that I will probably not see the inevitable results of our selfishness.  This is the only planet we've got for now.  We have to make it last for another few hundred years before we even have a chance at escaping it in numbers enough to matter.  Even dogs don't shit in their bed.

'rubbish' haz the same depth of meaning as 'crap' ?

Most supermarket watermelons these days don't have viable seeds.  Much like grapes, corn, and many other crops.  After the bombs drop or the meteor hits, vegetables will be hard to find.  We'll just have to eat each other. surprise

I marvel that I have grown up in such a privileged world.  But I thank my lucky stars that I'm old enough that I will probably not see the inevitable results of our selfishness.  This is the only planet we've got for now.  We have to make it last for another few hundred years before we even have a chance at escaping it in numbers enough to matter.  Even dogs don't shit in their bed.

...true.

However I thought the bombs would make everything grow bigger, they did in those movies from the 50s. Though having to deal with ants the size of a city bus doesn't seem like fun.

edited May 2016
    MistyMist said:

'rubbish' haz the same depth of meaning as 'crap' ?

I don't know about the other side of the pond but here "rubbish" is  junk.  "crap" is excrement

kyoto kid said:

...true.

However I thought the bombs would make everything grow bigger, they did in those movies from the 50s. Though having to deal with ants the size of a city bus doesn't seem like fun.

After the '50s, the movies changed plot lines and instead of getting bigger the creatures just got more deformed and insane. surprise

I'm in a quandry:  I have two more computers that are capable of running Windows10 and I hate to pass up the opportunity to update them while it's free.  Yet I hate to give up my access to a working Vista system and a working Win7-Pro system.  I think what I'm going to do is order a couple of hard drives in a thoughtful manner and give myself the ability to either setup dual bootable OS's or just simply clone the primary drive of each and then set the old drive aside and upgrade the new clone to Win10.  However, I'm not sure Win10 will permit dual boot (Win7-Pro/Win10-Pro) or (Vista-Home/Win10)* anybody know?

* Yes, I know Vista isn't directly eligible for upgrade to Win10 but I also have a Win7 upgrade kit that hasn't been used yet.  I can use it to upgrade Vista-->Win7-->Win10

This discussion has been closed.