Future of Daz Studio

Can someone tell me any news about the future of daz studio? Like the new features in future updates, what's new in the future making of characters, will it be able to make products that can be "accepted" by the CG community (I read a comment in the forums here that daz is trying to "get accepted" by the CG community), dynamic clothings, and daz being able to import 3ds, C4D and other files? Basically news about the future of Daz studio and its products.

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

Wow, what? Since when are Daz Studio's product not "accepted" by the CG community? o.O

• Wow, what? Since when are Daz Studio's product not "accepted" by the CG community? o.O

I don't know just read it somewhere here in the forums and also noticed that in the major sellers of 3D models Daz format Isn't really being used that much. I'm just curious on the future of Daz, I don't know if it's really "accepted" or not.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    edited January 2017

DS is frowned upon by software "snobs" that think one has to make everything in a scene for something to qualify as "art" (tho some do use it). It's well received by the CG hobbyist community. What they're trying to break into is the game assets business. So far, it's a trickle, but gaming will only get more popular, especially now that there's VR. As for the future of DS, Daz is unlikely to tell you anything and anything the people on this forum can provide are educated guesses and personal wants and wishes ;).

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AllenArt said:

DS is frowned upon by software "snobs" that think one has to make everything in a scene for something to qualify as "art" (tho some do use it). It's well received by the CG hobbyist community. What they're trying to break into is the game assets business. So far, it's a trickle, but gaming will only get more popular, especially now that there's VR. As for the future of DS, Daz is unlikely to tell you anything and anything the people on this forum can provide are educated guesses and personal wants and wishes ;).

Laurie

I hope they have teasers :)

AllenArt said:

Laurie

I hope they have teasers :)

Sometimes they do, sometimes you see it when you see it ;).

Laurie

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Basically, until it shows up in the Beta thread, it's all speculation.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited January 2017

Funny you should mention this... I just returned from the future and it's really stupid.

I don't want to give anything away, but let's just say don't be mean to cats and buy several panini presses and invest heavily in parachute pants if you can... You'll understand by next year.

You'll thank me for this later.

DAZ on the other hand will continue as usual for the next few years, eventually getting a bit more into game models and 3D printed figures... By the time Genesis 12 comes out they will have gone from (3D printed) desktop action figures to fully articulated, life sized... Umm... "Companion" figures and eventually fully sentient companion robots... But by then DAZ3D as we know it will no longer exist, having become DAZ-A-Dyne4D after their merger with RoboDyne Cybenetics and Neurological Augmentations.

Oh I forgot... For a brief period, Pringles potato chips will be an hot form of alternate currency...

By Genesis 16 (three months after G12), a small group Victoriabots (V94s)-(Victoria numbers got a bit muddled after 62) decided humans were not peverted enough (turns out that robots are actually remarkably kinky, contrary to their portrayal in most science fiction) and decide to eliminate the humans. Being that almost all of the 197,000 humans still living on earth have either a V94 or M94 model it gets pretty ugly fast and the humans take a real beating until DAZ-A-Dyne4D (aka DAZAD4D) which is actually a sentient mainframe feels pity and remorse, for having been responsible for this situation (and as a few historians have pointed out, fearing a loss of its robo-thong market) decides to help humanity. A huge battle ensues and... To be honest I'm not sure what happened because I just skipped all that and fast forwarded a couple thousand years and the world was ruled by a race of giant green ferrets dressed in Victorian theater garb... I felt a little out of place, not having a nice top hat or being a green ferret, so I got bored and came back to the present.

To be honest, it's not all that better here, now... But at least I can still afford Pringles and chocolate is still available to the common folk.

I hope that helps... I'd also like to point out that the future is prone to change and nothing is written in stone... Except for stone tablets and tombstones and stuff like that... Anything we do here and now could affect that future... Hell, I just stomped on a pile of butterflies because they were bugging me, so who really knows what the future holds?

Post edited by McGyver on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

LMAO!!! The future sounds quite entertaining! 

I'm pretty sure DAZ Studio has a bright future. Their marketing strategty is brilliant- give away the software, make the $$$ on the content. I've dropped more $$$ here than I ever imagined I would, and have loved every minute of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

• pdspds Posts: 593
    Llynara said:

I'm pretty sure DAZ Studio has a bright future. Their marketing strategty is brilliant- give away the software, make the $$$ on the content. I've dropped more $$$ here than I ever imagined I would, and have loved every minute of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

Right there with you :-)

The Pringles thing sounds very intriguing....

laugh

• marblemarble Posts: 7,478
    McGyver said:

Funny you should mention this... I just returned from the future and it's really stupid.

I don't want to give anything away, but let's just say don't be mean to cats and buy several panini presses and invest heavily in parachute pants if you can... You'll understand by next year.

DAZ on the other hand will continue as usual for the next few years, eventually getting a bit more into game models and 3D printed figures... By the time Genesis 12 comes out they will have gone from (3D printed) desktop action figures to fully articulated, life sized... Umm... "Companion" figures and eventually fully sentient companion robots... But by then DAZ3D as we know it will no longer exist, having become DAZ-A-Dyne4D after their merger with RoboDyne Cybenetics and Neurological Augmentations.

Oh I forgot... For a brief period, Pringles potato chips will be an hot form of alternate currency...

By Genesis 16 (three months after G12), a small group Victoriabots (V94s)-(Victoria numbers got a bit muddled after 62) decided humans were not peverted enough (turns out that robots are actually remarkably kinky, contrary to their portrayal in most science fiction) and decide to eliminate the humans. Being that almost all of the 197,000 humans still living on earth have either a V94 or M94 model it gets pretty ugly fast and the humans take a real beating until DAZ-A-Dyne4D (aka DAZAD4D) which is actually a sentient mainframe feels pity and remorse, for having been responsible for this situation (and as a few historians have pointed out, fearing a loss of its robo-thong market) decides to help humanity. A huge battle ensues and... To be honest I'm not sure what happened because I just skipped all that and fast forwarded a couple thousand years and the world was ruled by a race of giant green ferrets dressed in Victorian theater garb... I felt a little out of place, not having a nice top hat or being a green ferret, so I got bored and came back to the present.

To be honest, it's not all that better here, now... But at least I can still afford Pringles and chocolate is still available to the common folk.

I hope that helps... I'd also like to point out that the future is prone to change and nothing is written in stone... Except for stone tablets and tombstones and stuff like that... Anything we do here and now could affect that future... Hell, I just stomped on a pile of butterflies because they were bugging me, so who really knows what the future holds?

Let us know when the book comes out - or is coming out, assuming you wrote it already sometime in the future. Will we be around to read it? Can you send a copy back?

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited January 2017
    Llynara said:

I certainly don't think you are the only one. I have read so many times in the forums where people have commented on the amount they have spent at Daz, whilst for whatever reason, still guarding the actual figures. So in a moment of Christmas boredom and madness, I decided to add up all the invoices from my purchases sInce shopping here. I must say after several 'stiff drinks' and a long lay down, I recovered from what the results had shown.... $$$$'s  cheeky  BUT....I don't care because it's my hobby (and no hobby is cheap) and I have enjoyed, and still enjoy, EVERY minute. I hope the Daz future is good, and has a lot more goodies to surprise us artists with.

smiley

Post edited by Musicplayer on
  • In all seriousness, the whole "3D asset-made art isn't real art" from 3D artists reminds me so much of the pointless "digital art isn't true art" from traditional artists (who use analog mediums, like paint, charcoal, etc) and the entire arguments about digital vs. traditional art. It does nothing to help anyone and there's pros and cons to using both. 

Anyhow, the fact that DS has apparently sprung far ahead of Poser in terms of marketplace share (especially since other sites have just recently implemented 'Daz Only' sections after much knuckle-and-heel dragging) is pretty huge, tbh. Not to mention RuntimeDNA merging with Daz3D... given that used to be one of the big Poser-focused sites and all. There are things that they could improve upon in the hardware (namely, working on better dynamic clothing and hair instead of continually pumping out Genesis figures every couple of years and fracturing the market into smaller and smaller fragments), but I'd say they're doing pretty well for themselves right now. Nothing to worry about, IMHO.

I do think 2017 will probably bring about Daz Studio 5 at some point. We'll see, though...

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,953

Interesting side note, I just found out the local libraries have free 3d printing.

(Only downside is you have to schedule sessions 30 days in advance)

• Finlaena said:

In all seriousness, the whole "3D asset-made art isn't real art" from 3D artists reminds me so much of the pointless "digital art isn't true art" from traditional artists (who use analog mediums, like paint, charcoal, etc) and the entire arguments about digital vs. traditional art. It does nothing to help anyone and there's pros and cons to using both. 

Anyhow, the fact that DS has apparently sprung far ahead of Poser in terms of marketplace share (especially since other sites have just recently implemented 'Daz Only' sections after much knuckle-and-heel dragging) is pretty huge, tbh. Not to mention RuntimeDNA merging with Daz3D... given that used to be one of the big Poser-focused sites and all. There are things that they could improve upon in the hardware (namely, working on better dynamic clothing and hair instead of continually pumping out Genesis figures every couple of years and fracturing the market into smaller and smaller fragments), but I'd say they're doing pretty well for themselves right now. Nothing to worry about, IMHO.

I do think 2017 will probably bring about Daz Studio 5 at some point. We'll see, though...

I predict that 2017 won't see the release of Daz Studio 5. *looks at watch* Hey, I was right! jk I think the downside Daz's model of giving away the software and selling the art assets likely makes big investments in software features a hard sell. I hope they focus on either physics or animation moving forward with their software.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,058
    edited January 2018
    Trake118 said:
    Finlaena said:

In all seriousness, the whole "3D asset-made art isn't real art" from 3D artists reminds me so much of the pointless "digital art isn't true art" from traditional artists (who use analog mediums, like paint, charcoal, etc) and the entire arguments about digital vs. traditional art. It does nothing to help anyone and there's pros and cons to using both. 

I predict that 2017 won't see the release of Daz Studio 5. *looks at watch* Hey, I was right! jk I think the downside Daz's model of giving away the software and selling the art assets likely makes big investments in software features a hard sell. I hope they focus on either physics or animation moving forward with their software.

Why this fixation on version 5? The addition of the IPR for 3delight, Iray, Daz Connect, and dForce would all seem likely to have been headline features with a full version number change in an application that sold its updates, so we'd be up to something like version 8 or more by now.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471

...maybe they consider Daz Connect a "-3"?  (cough, ahem...)  cheeky

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited January 2018
    Trake118 said:
    Finlaena said:

Why this fixation on version 5? The addition of the IPR for 3delight, Iray, Daz Connect, and dForce would all seem likely to have been headline features with a full version number change in an application that sold its updates, so we'd be up to something like version 8 or more by now.

Exactly. Only thing Version 5 means is all your plugins (like GenX) will break. Enjoy the features you have in the current version and render away. It seems every one is too worried about what will be rather than what already is.  The only thing version 5 will bring is a recompile of plugins and some will never be recompiled. Ignore the version number and focus on features.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,913

...exactly, GenX would remain "broken" unless someone else is allowed to pick it up and update it to the new SDK.

For my work that would seriously cripple what I do in Daz.

• kyoto kid said:

...exactly, GenX would remain "broken" unless someone else is allowed to pick it up and update it to the new SDK.

As far I can remember you've always been able to keep an older version of DS installed.

Also, come on guys, deciding that a version of a program deserves a new number isn't what breaks plugins. Nor does it mean anything meaningfully more awesome than previous updates happened. A number ticking up or staying the same isn't going to hurt or help anything.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    kyoto kid said:

Also, come on guys, deciding that a version of a program deserves a new number isn't what breaks plugins. Nor does it mean anything meaningfully more awesome than previous updates happened. A number ticking up or staying the same isn't going to hurt or help anything.

No, version 5 is a new sdk.. a new sdk requires a version recompile which will break plugins. If you don't want the plugs to break you stay within version 4.

• kyoto kid said:

No, version 5 is a new sdk..

It absolutely does not have to be.

• kyoto kid said:

While true, may software developers tend to reserve a change of major version for exactly that; a massive change in the underlying software development kit that could potentially break other things that may or may not be easily updated.
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,342
    kyoto kid said:

It does not have to be, but I recall one of the DAZ guys saying that 5 would likely arrive when there was a need to amend the current SDK. DS 4.0 changed the SDK, and I am sure DS 2 and 3 did as well.

Since I have no wish to lose the many plug-ins I have and use, then for me at least, long live 4.xx

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,898
    edited January 2018
    McGyver said:

laughlaughlaugh

Love it. heart

Hey, McGyver? Will you just come in a write us a story every day?

LOL!!! (Just kidding)

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • kyoto kid said:

While true, may software developers tend to reserve a change of major version for exactly that; a massive change in the underlying software development kit that could potentially break other things that may or may not be easily updated.

Yep, it's a fair practice, and it's what DAZ does, but it's not at all some standard rule that can't be broken and not even very typical. Most Photoshop plugins work just fine when the program jumps forward a version, for example.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,898
    edited January 2018

Wow, what? Since when are Daz Studio's product not "accepted" by the CG community? o.O

I don't know just read it somewhere here in the forums and also noticed that in the major sellers of 3D models Daz format Isn't really being used that much. I'm just curious on the future of Daz, I don't know if it's really "accepted" or not.

AllenArt said:

DS is frowned upon by software "snobs" that think one has to make everything in a scene for something to qualify as "art" (tho some do use it). It's well received by the CG hobbyist community...

Well...

Most content can be exported as an .obj (or other formats) to be used in most (even "high end") software programs, so... why it isn't embraced more has a lot to do with that "snobbery" thing Laurie (AllenArt) mentioned, I'm guessing...

(Though, only a guess.)

Those that do use it in their workflow also just don't mention it much.

As far as the future of Daz Studio...

Dude, stay tuned.

That's my best advice, cuz even the best guesses have been completly off base in the past. (I've been around for about 10 years and keep seeing it happen. LOL) laugh

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • sura_tcsura_tc Posts: 174

I consider Daz as an easy entry to 3D modelling. That's how I started to learn 3D modelling. I still use Daz assets (mostly hair since they are cheap) but I don't use Daz characters anymore since anyone familiar with 3D recognizes it and down-votes it.

It is true that Daz render is frowned upon outside of this community here due to the fact that it's just mix & match with stock assets. In other words, anyone using Daz products end up having very similar looking characters.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,027
    sura_tc said:

I consider Daz as an easy entry to 3D modelling. That's how I started to learn 3D modelling. I still use Daz assets (mostly hair since they are cheap) but I don't use Daz characters anymore since anyone familiar with 3D recognizes it and down-votes it.

It is true that Daz render is frowned upon outside of this community here due to the fact that it's just mix & match with stock assets. In other words, anyone using Daz products end up having very similar looking characters.

I've seen quite a few disparate characters in the DAZ gallery and as with real 3D modeling outside the DAZ world it's simply a matter of making bespoke textures and post processing and FX for DAZ models to lend morphed based geometries used in renders a air of bespoke originality.

They are free to disreguard someone like myself's 3D modeling and even texturing skills, that's just common sense comparison of hobby renderer compared to professional or hobby 3D modeler, but really it is getting easier and easier to create technically better and interesting original renders and scenes using DAZ content. Wityh that then it's simply a matter of story telling in a render. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,913
    edited January 2018
    Havos said:
    kyoto kid said:

It does not have to be, but I recall one of the DAZ guys saying that 5 would likely arrive when there was a need to amend the current SDK. DS 4.0 changed the SDK, and I am sure DS 2 and 3 did as well.

Since I have no wish to lose the many plug-ins I have and use, then for me at least, long live 4.xx

...Daz 3.0 diefinitely did. I had no trouble using content and plugins between 1.7 and 2.3 but when 3.0 came out Light Dome Pro didn't work correctly and it messed with textures of some older content.

Post edited by kyoto kid on