Question about the International Women’s Day Render Contest

2»

Comments

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited April 2021

sriesch said:

melissastjames said:

So what was the theme supposed to be for 'International Women's Day'? The renders are of women...or were they supposed to show women holding guns or something to stand in as empowerment? I'm just confused...I thought the rule was just to enter renders of women...which these are.

I didn't enter, btw (I'm too paranoid about my stuff being good enough)...I'm just curious as to why there are issues with the winners. 

It was ..."showcasing the strength and empowerment of women-identifying people."

Gotcha...I didn't have the time (or nerve) to enter so I was just trying to understand what the theme was. If I were to enter it would have been something with my Rohirrim shield-maiden (Lord of the Rings fanart), so I guess that would have worked, lol.  

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

melissastjames said:

I didn't enter, btw (I'm too paranoid about my stuff being good enough)...

Never be afraid to enter!  Absolute worst case, you don't win, same result as not entering.  :-)   I find even if I don't win them, the contests are inspiring, and make you more critical of your own work.  You put something together that you are ready to post, but then you stop and think "so I'm happy... but why would THIS one win over all the others?  Hmmm... maybe it's not quite ready.  maybe I need to fix that little detail over there that I think PROBABLY nobody would notice but it's nagging me... and maybe I need more of <whatever>, or that background bit is too distracting, maybe I should take it out or change the lighting, or how can I make this more dramatic or make people think about it more..." etc. Just the fact that you are competing forces you to improve your own work, which is helpful.   It's unfortunate we can't really easily see all the contestants in this contest at the moment beyond the winners.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

melissastjames said:

sriesch said:

melissastjames said:

So what was the theme supposed to be for 'International Women's Day'? The renders are of women...or were they supposed to show women holding guns or something to stand in as empowerment? I'm just confused...I thought the rule was just to enter renders of women...which these are.

I didn't enter, btw (I'm too paranoid about my stuff being good enough)...I'm just curious as to why there are issues with the winners. 

It was ..."showcasing the strength and empowerment of women-identifying people."

Gotcha...I didn't have the time (or nerve) to enter so I was just trying to understand what the theme was. If I were to enter it would have been something with my Rohirrim shield-maiden (Lord of the Rings fanart), so I guess that would have worked, lol.  

Most of your renders would have kicked butt imo. 

• SilvereSilvere Posts: 46

melissastjames said:

I have to agree with the others - Just enter the next time! What do you have to lose?

I used it to try something I haven't done before. Nothing special, aborted at 60% because it CPU rendered over multiple days, and denoised afterwards. No chance to fix the mistakes in it, but I didn't care. ( For reference: https://twitter.com/SilverePenguin/status/1377477287512264705 )

Just a bit of fun with some potential winnings as motivation. Looking at your great renders it looks like you deliberately want to avoid good cash prizes : D

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,014

melissastjames said:

sriesch said:

melissastjames said:

You definately should of entered and not fretted an instant.

I remember teaching one of my neices to properly do a cart wheel after the gymasium she was having a membership paid for for months at wasn't teaching her to do a proper cart wheel but telling her they had. I got in trouble from her grandma (laugh) but then she did learn how to do a proper cart wheel. I don't care if someone suggests improvements visually or verbally and espencially DIY mechnics or home/yard improvement to anything I do it's good learning 9 times out of 10.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

melissastjames said:

I think you would have won. 

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited April 2021

@servin @certaintree38 @silvere @nonesuch00 haha thanks guys! Next time around I'll have to enter. I have a hard time keeping to deadlines so I kinda let myself get psyched out of entering. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on

Kind of weird that they're sending us to Facebook to view the winners, and locking the announcement for comments.  You're forced to log into FB to view the winners, too.  So weird.

For anyone who wants to view the winners on Twitter, here's the link once again

DAZ 3D on Twitter: "Congratulations to the winners of our International Women's Day contest!

• denavindenavin Posts: 30

Sevrin said:

Linwelly said:

here is an announcement I just saw on twitter, not sure how it will be communicat4ed here:

https://twitter.com/daz3d/status/1380615225079029760

Yeah, saw that on Twitter earlier.  Well, for sure they're women, and they're really nice renders, but I'm not getting an IWD vibe from them. 

Congrats, anyway!

I'm glad i'm not alone in this thought. International Woman's Day represented by a bust portraite of a female? Its a beautiful render, make no mistake but where's the essence? Phew! I would love to see all the images together. Considering the great artists out there, surely there is a better representation for IWD!

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716

Sevrin said:

Kind of weird that they're sending us to Facebook to view the winners, and locking the announcement for comments.  You're forced to log into FB to view the winners, too.  So weird.

For anyone who wants to view the winners on Twitter, here's the link once again

DAZ 3D on Twitter: "Congratulations to the winners of our International Women's Day contest!

Thanks for the Twitter link. I wanted to see the winners,  but don't do Facebook. You would think they would post direct links to the images here, since this is their forum frown

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

DustRider said:

Thanks for the Twitter link. I wanted to see the winners,  but don't do Facebook. You would think they would post direct links to the images here, since this is their forum frown

Here you go, although the forum is going to resize these I think:

----------------------

Congratulations to the winners of our International Women's Day contest!

1st: Eli Thurston

2nd: Gail Edwards

3rd: Sneha Astles

It was amazing seeing such a diverse pool of entries celebrating the strength and empowerment of women-identifying people. Stay tuned to see the Runners Up!

3D art of a woman wearing a head wrap with an elaborate pattern, posing with a parrot on her right shoulder

3D art of a woman with see-through gloves with an elaborate floral pattern and futuristic makeup

3D art of a female angel flying in the clouds with a trident in her left hand

As for the Runners Up and Honorable mentions, they're posted on Twitter, as well.  Far be it from me to question the judgment of the folks at Daz, but to my way of thinking, most of the non-winners captured the spirit of IWD better than the winners smh

DAZ 3D on Twitter: "A big CONGRATS to the Runners Up from our International Women's Day contest

DAZ 3D on Twitter: "Another congrats to our Honorable Mentions

Some really cool renders.  Congrats to all.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

the runners up and honourable mentions should have been winners. 

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

jakiblue said:

the runners up and honourable mentions should have been winners. 

agree 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,014

My favorite is definately the lady with the lollypop.