All Halloween, All the Time

mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
edited June 2021 in Art Studio

In my Renderland it's pretty much Halloween stuff all year long. My favorite holiday! I render other things, but keep coming back to the spooky -- a wide-range aesthetic that keeps my happily playing with some of the odder things I've acquired over the years. 

At the moment, I'm toying around with creating what I'm calling unconventional witches. No green hags, though green girls (and guys) are still okay. A few recent attempts:

I'd recently bought Nida 8's HD morphs, the eye effects by smay, and the face wounds set for G3/8F, so she got to be a little spookier than the others.

Nineve 6 is just using a black and orange color scheme and a fancy old-style dress.

I'd wanted to use the wheat plants I'd had around for a while, so I had a red-head in a black dress go do something nefarious in a wheatfield instead of a cornfield.

The last one came about because of the outfit; a biker witch who falls under the crone/hag title maybe but at least isn't green. She's Crone for Etta for Edie 8.

Other things I've been poking around with includes making some "Valowheen" candy.

Aiko 7, holding a "Be My Ghoul" candy. So far I've only come up with four sayings. I need to get more creative... Pulled colors from collections listed at this color pallete site.

I've stalled on a haunted mirror idea, inspired by an image I ran across on Pinterest.

So far I've only tried this in Iray using a wax shader for the ghostly bit. I'm relucant to use a ghost shader because those seem to lose a lot of detail in the figures. Mostly I'm feeling a little frustrated with the transition between mirror and ghost. I've used a smoothing modifer to try and get a better blend, but I'm thinking postwork is going to have to be used in the end.

I have other projects in various stages of completion or testing, so adding more as I find the time to post. :)

Post edited by mmalbert on

Comments

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited June 2021

Forgot this guy. Torment 8.1 -- not exactly an unconventional witch. More of an unconventional demon hunter. Added the forehead cross in postwork. I couldn't find a texture for what I wanted that would work on him.

The outfit is dForce Inquisitor Robe G8M, with the holster from Eldritch Seeker G2M. Obviously it fails further down the chest becaues of the outfit's cape, but all I wanted was a close-up. Hair is Commander Hair and the beard is the one that comes with the Diego 8 base character. Face Wounds for G3/8M. Cross was cobled together with primitive cubes and I used some of MEC4D's PBS shaders on it. Oh, and the eyes are from Horror Eyes G8.

Demon-Hunter_Small.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,076

really like the 2nd and 3rd renders

Thanks! laugh

edited June 2021

Did some kit-bashing with a skull prop to make a little vignette.

The kit-bash:

The vignette is iray, the kit-bash test is 3DL. Two pieces from Renderosity and a freebie were used for the crown-like headware, all from the V3 and V4 eras. Vendors don't seem interested in making head gear for the newest Genesis figures. 

Ah, well. I actually enjoy kit-bashing. It's challenging for sure.

Halloween_Skull_Vignette.png
    1200 x 1400 - 2M
    Halloween-Kit-Bash_Elegant-Skull.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
    edited June 2021

Next up, a re-texturing project. I want a zombie-ish yard gnome.laugh

I've had Gnome Sweet Gnome for a while now and it's time to mess with him.

LGP_Gnome Sweet Gnome 01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 477K
    8faa817778a454f8bdeca7b66e8c5eca.jpg
    504 x 770 - 82K
    edited June 2021

A few years back I made some Shabby Chic Halloween backgrounds for the Fantasy Attic's annual Halloween event. Some simple kit-bashings examples, possible inspiration for other like-minded Halloween fanatics like me. smiley

The wing chair; just added a set of the many wing props I've accumulated over the years to a re-textured chair prop.

Halloween-Kit-Bashing_Wing-Chair.png
    1000 x 900 - 764K
    Halloween-Kit-Bashing_Eye-Rose.png
    700 x 900 - 433K
    Halloween-Kit-Bashing_Fancy-Witch-Set.png
    500 x 900 - 349K
    Holloween-Kit-Bashing_Festive-Crow.png
    700 x 900 - 764K
    Halloween-Kit-Bashing_Swanky-Pumpkin.png
    600 x 900 - 436K
    Halloween-Kit-Bashing_Bastet.png
    600 x 800 - 453K
    Halloween-Kit-Bashing_Gothy-Skull.png
    900 x 900 - 803K
    Halloween-Kit-Bashing_Witch-Feet-Cauldron.png
    800 x 900 - 524K
    Halloween-Kit-Bashing_Skulls+Candle.png
    500 x 900 - 292K
    Halloween-Kit-Bashing_Royal-Skull.png
    500 x 900 - 450K
    Halloween-Kit-Bashing_Caged_Zlata+Toto.png
    800 x 900 - 709K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,668

Some really amazing looking props and renders!!!!

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,285

The wing chair is a hoot.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,668
    edited June 2021

This one should count as a Halloween everyday kinda render!!!

Amber Reaching For Her Baby.jpg
    834 x 1043 - 828K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
    edited June 2021

Thanks! I have fun doing things like this, so I'm always looking for additional inspirations. I've only used the wing chair -- haven't yet tried it with more demon-ish wings -- as decor, but having them flying about could be interesting!

That is definitely a Halloween-worth render. :) I have that dress. Maybe the character; can't remember if I bought the bundle or purchased pieces as the prices were right.

So far, this is what I have for my zombie/vampire/halloween garden gnome. As I suspected, there are not separate material zones so any customization I do has to be with the original diffuse texture map. Bummer. I do wish PAs would anticipate how end users like to mess with products, and creating material zones helps a lot with that sort of thing. 

I have to check my rather large library of Ron's brushes; pretty sure I have some blood and drips there.

Halloween_Gnome_Test.png
    600 x 800 - 304K